NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Default (don't jump in on because it's political) Jim Bunning (on BB HOF'ers vs. politicians)

Posted By: Patrick McHugh

Bunning is old school ethics. Maybe to old school but he belives in accountability something many people have forgotten. In Response to CY Soulutions as follows,
1. Government buy 2 million forclosed homes burn them to the ground, Total cost 600 billion dollars creates 500, 000 jobs. Also housing is supply and demand issue less supply = more demand.
2. GOVERNMENT PURCHASES 1 TRILLION DOLLARS OF S+P 500 FUTURES , THIS CURTAILS STOCK MARKET SLIDE AND SH
OWS CONFIDENCE IN AMERICAN BUSINESS.
3. Ring fence all toxic assets on all companys books. We need a cooling off period.
4. Suspend mark to market accounting on financial institutions for 1 year again we need a cooling off period.
5.HIRE A TREASURY SECRETARY with a real plan and integrity. No one wants to work for this man and his only plan is I will make a plan.
6. President Obama needs to inspire confidence when he speaks he is our elected leader.
7. All members of congress need to come together and come up with plans that inspire confidence not plans that continue to divide the country.
8. I could go on and on but I guess my highschool education ideas are not good enough for the american people as congress and the president as well as treasury tell me they have everything under control I hope they are right.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Default (don't jump in on because it's political) Jim Bunning (on BB HOF'ers vs. politicians)

Posted By: David Atkatz

Here are the employment figures, Steve:

[linked image]

Sure looks to me like they were back to the pre-crash level by 1937.

And, yes, Tom, I am concerned. But I'm neither in panic, nor am I feeling sorry for myself.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

And for the sake of political accuracy it is important to note that, in 1998 when Bunning first ran for Senator he won his race by 1/2% and in 2004 when he ran for reelection, when he proudly stated that his opponent looked like one of Saddam Hussein's sons, he won by less than 2%. I have no idea where Ted's 5% or more figure came from, care to enlighten us Ted? Just for the sake of accuracy.

==

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Unknown author

--

We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.

No retreat baby, no surrender.

The Boss

Old 03-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: marshall barkman

David.....i think maybe what you should do is instead of looking at data and charts is take a more human approach. The great depression that you constantly refer to looked like this.[linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

Old 03-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Administrator

I understand quite well what the Great Depression was like. My parents lived through it.

I posted data in order to show that, contrary to what our Republican friends might believe, FDR's policies worked.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

David,

It's interesting to observe that in the year 1939, at least according to the chart you posted, when Henry Morgenthau, Jr. insisted the New Deal was a failure, a record number of Americans were employed. It's also worth noting that unemployment decreased dramatically in the year after Roosevelt entered the White House, which followed a deep drop that lasted much of Hoover's term. The chart does, however, indicate the stabilization began in a waning days of the Hoover administration ...

Old 03-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i thought that political threads here were to be locked asap and the joker who posted banned.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Stabilization? Yeah... unemployment stabilized at 25%! I guess even Hoover couldn't get it higher than that, try as he might.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Administrator

What worked is that the American spirit is the strongest in the world. In order to be 1 at anything there has to be a mental toughness that is stronger than the problem at hand. America does not look like the great depression of the 30's nor will we head into a depression.

If you took everything away from me right now and i had to start out with no home and 0 money homeless on the street it would not defeat me. Instead of worrying about how bad things are i would immediatly start trying to figure out how to get back to the top with my talent. The difference between a loser and a winner is that a winner understands losing and learns from the mistakes, a loser continues to make mistakes and at some point gives up hope.

The world today is over saturated with competition in all aspects of business, why do banks need 10 branches in a 20 mile radious?. Everyone wants to be a star or athlete and be recognized as somebody important. When i drove to New York to qualify for the 2006 Nationwide Tour event i was shocked at what the scene was, there were 200 people trying to qualify for 14 spots and of the 200 about 170 of them could not play dead in a John Wayne movie much less compete under a pressure packed 1 day event against professional athletes. I was partnered with a guy who on the first tee hit his ball out of bounds and immediatly i noticed a brown stain in his trousers(lol), he three putted 3 of 8 holes and i finally had to turn my back when he putted because it looked like Judge Smails from caddyshack. Somehow the guy was able to make it 8 holes before withdrawing, he shook my hand and said i am sorry for the display i put on today and holding you up, he then took off for the clubhouse. He was 12 over par and i thought to myself what is this world coming to. Even though i had to watch this F&%$ing hack somehow i managed to shoot 70 and miss qualifying by 2 shots.

What the country needs is a dose of reality not reality shows. The Lord loves a common man and that is why he created so many of them.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

David, it's very brave of you not to panic when you've got tenure.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandello

If there is one thing that David's post prove its that tenure should be abolished.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Tenure is no iron-clad guarantee, Jeff. departments and programs are eliminated, and the tenured faculty go with them.

And, I'm 58, and will retire soon.

So maybe I am brave to not panic.

(I'm sure there's no shortage of legal defense work for you when times are hard (for others.) And it's probably extremely difficult to manage to be let go from your own firm. And, of course, there's always the radio. So why don't you keep on telling us how really bad things are, and how bad they're gonna get. Maybe you and the Group could do lunch a few times, and commiserate.)

Old 03-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Yeah Jim. Too bad the tenure system wasn't linked to Lehman Bros. in some way.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Administrator

I envy Jeff's stock market savvy. Makes one trade and shorts the stock of a company that a fellow board member worked for. So in your opinion the company with the most downside in America was Lehman. Good call. Inside info Jeff ?? (just kidding, you know I appreciate the help you gave me).

==

Unknown author

--

The Boss

Old 03-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Dennis- If I remember correctly the last time a ban warning was given was after a political thread had gone on for about 4-5 days, several were started and locked, and warnings were given. So far this is only 1 thread and I think it's safe to ask for this to be the only politically natured one, for the time being. I would prefer not to really have them at all but if they are contained to one thread, and don't go on forever, then I don't think they hurt too much. Others might disagree.....regards

Old 03-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Administrator

"And it's probably extremely difficult to manage to be let go from your own firm."

Brilliant, David. You're right: I'm immune from the bad economy because I can't fire myself. Now try to imagine a world where you don't have a guaranteed paycheck -- shudder! -- and you have to wait for the phone to ring in order to get paid -- shock! -- and if the phone doesn't ring you still have to pay out six figures in salaries to employees -- gasp! And imagine a world where if all of your reviews were negative you'd go out of business instead of getting that guaranteed paycheck! Do I need to get the smelling salts out, now?

Old 03-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Leon you are a true gentleman and a scholar. The First Amendment lives on VBC.
=

Unknown author
--
The Boss

Old 03-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Administrator

With over 50 threads on the main board why do folks like Dennis constantly complain? If i read a thread and it sucks i just move on. When you roll up to the club and there are 200 guys and 10 girls then it it obvious it is a sausage bar so roll out.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Richard, I didn't think Lehman had the most downside in America -- I'm hardly a stock analyst. But I felt that the investment banks were clearly being targeted by the shorts (Bear had just collapsed) and that the subprime mess had yet to really be felt in that sector. Panic and bad news in a sector make stocks go down. And I never dreamed that Bear could collapse; once it did I felt that Lehman was the logical choice to be next due to the perfect storm that was brewing. Hardly a major insight on my part, though.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric Brehm

The First Amendment doesn't mean squat in this situation. This is an on-line community where members agree to abide by the rules governing their participation if they choose to participate. Leon keep up the good work...

Old 03-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Nice selective reading, Jeff. Why don't you take a gander at the sentence preceding the one you quoted. You know, the sentence which caused the following one to begin with the word "and."
(Or, alternatively, you could have one of your legal assistants read it for you, and summarize.)

Like I said, I'm sure all the newly-discovered white-collar criminals are gonna need someone's services. And doesn't drug use--and hence dealer's activities--go up in bad times? If things get really bad for ya, I'm sure WABC will give you a few more hours to regale us all.

Not to worry, Jeff. You'll be fine.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I think it's okay to have a thread once in a while where people who have something in common can talk about things they don't have in common...as long as it doesn't get personal....It's already gone there. Please play nicely guys. I don't understand why it has to get nasty. Just agree to disagree and move on.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Hey guys....

In an effort to redirect energy, please look at the image below and then
guess as to what the items are...

There are 22 items. Hints: One of the autographs is of a player
mentioned above, the last item has been mentioned already, a few times.

[linked image]

Old 03-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Administrator

For what it is worth if i am in New York and would ever have a problem and need a defense attorney Lichtman would recieve a call because you can tell instantly the guy is not going to back down from a fight. I wonder if -Gasp-...some folks on here are jealous...-Gasp-.....that the guy is different....-Gasp-.......and makes fun of gals with fat asses....-Gasp-......uses words like Suck.....-Gasp-......and collects Hal Chase and Ty cobb.....-Gasp-......and does things like....Gasp-.......which are not normal......-Gasp_......

Old 03-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Administrator

That black bird on the left looks like it's made out of "the stuff that dreams are made of."

And the Stone looks a bit small. I think even Ted might have a hard time reading that.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Administrator

I agree that my Rosetta stone is not full size... it still tickles me a bit when I hold it, look at it, and struggle through the Greek. No chance of me reading anything else on there.

As for my Maltese Falcon, he's the right size. I've yet to bust him open, I'm doubtful that anything in there is gem-encrusted.

David has 2 of the 22.

Come on, guys!

Old 03-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bruce Dorskind

We suspect after the Nutty Professor retires, he will be consulting to the North Koreans...
Certainly they have had their share of physics experiments gone bad. And they really do
appreciate angry irrational Communists. Perhaps he will be forced to sell his Opening Day
Yankee Stadium program at a bargain price before he and his family are allowed to move to Pyongyang

As for the Nutty Professor's analysis of the stock market, it is about as accurate as his ultra left
wing political nonsense.

They must be counting the days to his retirement at the Dean's Office at Skidmore.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Administrator

David, you pointed out that I can't be fired by myself. I think I understood your (ridiculous) point. And of course I'll be just fine. I have good reviews and a good business instead of bad reviews and a guaranteed paycheck. And when I retire I'll do it with what I've earned in my lifetime not from a pension handed to me. And yet I'm still not an angry scold, can you believe it?

As for my legal assistants that work for me they're called 'associates' -- you know, like as in 'associate professor.'

Old 03-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Well it has been fun gents. I'm off because there are two horses running at Aquaduct today that i like in the Gotham stakes. Haynesfield will run his eyeballs out and watch out for Russell Road because James Casey is a staunch old veteran who would never ship a horse to New York unless the horse could run, also Travis Dunkelberger is the craziest SOB on the planet and would bet on two flys crawling up a wall so if he is riding the horse no one or anything will intimidate him.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Methinks that whilst the professor wouldst not consult for the North Koreans, nor would any of the other proletarians on this board, there are other elitists who would have happily consulted for Peron, Batista, Pinochet and others of that persuasion.
==

Unknown author
--
The Boss

Old 03-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Yeah, Jeff. All the dealers that you keep on the streets give your business an A+ rating. (And you haven't disappointed the murderers, either.)

You've got much to be proud of.

Keep up the good work.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bruce Dorskind

Richard

If they paid their bills in US Dollars, we would certainly have consulted to Perrone
and Fulgencio Batista. Imagine how much better our collection Cuban Baseball
memorabilia would have been if we were working with Fulgencio.

As we like to say... where there is a bill there is a way.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Glad I went out for a few hours and got some fresh air...it's 65 degrees today in the big city.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Administrator

David, you can't be an Obama-lover and also hate people that enforce constitutional rights of those accused of crimes (unless you're just jealous -- you'd never be jealous, would you David?). In fact, defense lawyers and defendants alike are tickled pink about Obama's election as it will mean the appointment of a plethora of liberal judges who are thought to go easier on criminals. Obama is very good for business, I assure you.

And I am very proud of my work and the fact that all of the media in New York think that I'm a very good defense lawyer. I mean, it's not the same as being trashed by every single student of mine on ratemyprofessor.com but I'm still proud of my record. Now I'll tell you what I tell my 'associates': if you work hard, treat people well and are not lazy you can throw off that 'associate' label and really accomplish something someday. Since you're close to retirement, I'd advise you to pick it up a notch, however.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Jeff, the day you give up your lucrative practice of keeping drug dealers and murderers (who you know are guilty) on the streets (and rationalizing what you do with that self-serving crap you spout), and go work for the ACLU is the day I'll have a bit of respect for you.

Seems like you like to have it both ways. First you want us to GASP! and SHUDDER! at the thought of you having to provide your own paycheck, and then you admit that Obama (who's so bad for everyone else) is good for your business.

Maybe there's a reason why lawyer jokes are so popular, while physicist jokes are virtually non-existent.

Jealous? I earned a doctorate in theoretical physics, publishing original research (which is still cited in the literature) when I was twenty-five. I don't think I would have had much of a problem in law school had that been my desire.

And, Jeff, what you don't seem to understand, is that I'm a physicist, not a physics teacher. My job is to suss out how the world works, and not to keep entitled-feeling children happy. Although you seem to get quite a kick out of it, I don't really care what ten or so angry students who couldn't cut it have to say about me. I've been at it a long time, and I've taught thousands of students through the years. I'm sure my percentage of satisfied "customers" is as high as yours.

Not to mention that my "successes" go on to fulfilling careers of their own, teaching others and adding to humankind's knowledge of the universe.

Your successes just keep on selling dope and killing people.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Just a bunch of heathens!!!!

I read through all of this stuff, then go to considerable effort to dig out some fairly good old baseball stuff, and barely a nibble.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Administrator

David, no one cares what you think, especially me. And certainly no one cares if you respect them. I would be remiss not to point out what was sent to me via email a few minutes ago. Of the 321 professors from Skidmore who have been rated on ratemyprofessors.com, your overall rating was number 311. But of course it's the students' fault, not yours. (I have to admit to some surprise, however, that you managed to score higher than 10 of 321 -- are the other 10 in jail for murdering students?)

Your comment about Obama, of course, makes no sense. Where did you get your degree? And plenty of people go to law school but very few are successful lawyers. I am fairly certain, however, that if you were in a profession in which the paycheck was not a guarantee, you'd be living in a Frigidare box right now.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

What's black and brown and looks good on a lawyer?

Old 03-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Frank:

I see:

1) A 33 Goudey Ruth
2) A 34 Goudey Gehrig
3) A 39 Playball DiMaggio
4) A Zeenut, don't know the player or year
5) A T210, don't know the player
6) A Red Sun, don't know the player
7) A Wagner - E92? E105?
8) N172. Tim Keefe?
9) T206 Demmitt
10) T206 Bat On
11) T206 Bat Off
12) T206 Cy Young Throwing
13) T206 Matty Black Cap
14) T206 Johnson Portrait
15) A photo - Stan Musial on the left, maybe? Don't recognize the player on the right.
16) Don't recognize the card or issue.
17) Sporting News supplement, maybe?
18) Letter from someone in the Cards organization - can't make out the signature.
19) Looks like an R312, maybe the Gas House Gang? I have an R311 Gas House Gang that looks similar.
20) A T3 I don't recognize, that also looks a little narrow.
21) A statue and a rock.

How'd I do?

-Al

Old 03-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Who'd the email come from, Jeff? Crandell or Bruce?

(BTW, I'm surprised there are ten rated worse than me, too! I can't think of another college discipline more unpopular than physics.)

Old 03-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Is the T210 card Stengel?

and is the letter signed by Branch Rickey?

Old 03-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Administrator

LOL, I'll admit those were good guesses but you're wrong.

(Oh and your rating was apparently the lowest of all the Physics professors rated. Maybe you just get all the dumb kids who couldn't cut it while the other professors got the future Nobel Peace Prize winners.)

Old 03-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Steele

The T-210 looks like Stengel. If it is, awesome card. The Wagner could be an E90-1 batting pose but that pose was used a bunch.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I thought Branch Rickey, Dan, but it looks like there's a letter that dips down below the line, like a cursive f or g.

I'm glad there's not a ratemyadguy.com, by the way.

-Al

Old 03-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Frank, thanks for the view of the stuff on the table. I've never seen a Fatima premium in person and from your pic you really get an idea of how big they were.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Bruce, what's it like having a business so big and successful it takes up your entire kitchen table?

Old 03-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Al's list, with Dan's and Michael's choices

1) A 33 Goudey Ruth ***Al's right!
2) A 34 Goudey Gehrig ***Al's right!
3) A 39 Playball DiMaggio ***Al's right!
4) A Zeenut, don't know the player or year *** almost a ZeeNut, no credit
5) A T210, don't know the player ***Dan and Michael are right, Casey Stengel.
6) A Red Sun, don't know the player *** a Red Sun, someone might know
7) A Wagner - E92? E105? ***Michael is right about Wagner, it's an E102
8) N172. Tim Keefe? *** no... but he's a HOFer and a lawyer
9) T206 Demmitt ***yes, the St. Louis one
10) T206 Bat On ***Al's right!
11) T206 Bat Off ***Al's right!
12) T206 Cy Young Throwing ***Al's right!
13) T206 Matty Black Cap ***Al's right!
14) T206 Johnson Portrait ***Al's right!
15) A photo - Stan Musial on the left, maybe? Don't recognize the player on the right. ***Al's right with Musial, now who's the other player?
16) Don't recognize the card or issue.
17) Sporting News supplement, maybe?
18) Letter from someone in the Cards organization - can't make out the signature. ***Dan's nailed that, a 1931 Branch Rickey signed letter, my spare Rickey autograph. Good one, Dan
19) Looks like an R312, maybe the Gas House Gang? I have an R311 Gas House Gang that looks similar. ***Not the Gas House Gang, but you're in the right league.
20) A T3 I don't recognize, that also looks a little narrow. ***I think he's the right size, hint, a hold out Cub.
21) A statue ***David already got the Maltese Falcon
22) and a rock. ***and David got the Rosetta Stone that's been discussed.

So that leaves::

4)
6)
8)
15) the other half
16)
17) something much rarer than a Wagner T206...
19)
20)

Let's bring some noise on this!!!!

Old 03-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Administrator

And Dan has sussed out #17...

T200 Fatima premium of Cleveland. Good eye!!! Reckon I could send it in and get it authenticated??

Old 03-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Administrator

That would be one huge slab. and we all know how you love plastic Frank. wink.gif

and the player pictured with Musial is Teddy Ballgame.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

John Montgomery Ward.