NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Default When will it stop?

Posted By: Richard Dwyer

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44827&item=5193597148&rd=1

Lots of pictures, promises, misinformation, etc. Wrong factory number. Still people are bidding like crazy for it.

Jon Canfield's article on packs in issue 3 of Old Cardboard was very informative. I differ with the pricing, as auctions like this show how much people are willing to spend on ones that don't have a card in them.

Old 05-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Why does every seller have to use the same ridiculous selling point-"dare I say this pack might contain the rare T206 Wagner card." Don't any of these packs ever contain Nattress or Congalton or simply nothing at all?

Old 05-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Dare I say that this is the longest auction description that I've seen on ebay? When will it stop? Never . . .

Old 05-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

First off, this is the most annoying auction description ever. It just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on .

Another problem I have is that with ALL his auctions, he makes everything seem like you are getting a one of a kind item and his estimated price is WAY too high.

He has a signed Billy Williams jersey that he doesn't mention in the title and then says: THE COWBOYS AND YANKEES AND CUBS HAVE THE SAME REPUTATION----BILLY WILLIAMS AUTOGRAPH IS VERY RARE!! Since when is Billy Williams a rare signature? He estimates the value at $1,500+

Last, a Mel Ott signed 1951 team photo in which he says "MOST IMPORTANT IS THE MEL OTT---THAT ALONE COULD FETCH OVER $10,000 IN MAJOR AUCTIONS----...HOW AWESOME IS THIS? THIS IS TRUELY 1 OF KIND WORTH HUGE $$$ GOOD LUCK.

Can you say 'Carnival Barker-ing?' (this may not be a word)

I have to lay down. After this, I now have a migraine.

DJ

Old 05-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

He could also use a few more pictures of the pack. I couldn't figure out what it is he was selling with such a paucity of images.

Old 05-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Jon should update his pricing:

Prices idiots pay and the true values for packs that are legit.

Also, such a great deal on postage! $16 for priority mail in U.S. only!

Old 05-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

it will never stop. As long as GAI is willing to grade cigarette packs without putting the factory numbers on the labels, unscrupulous sellers will prey on unrealistic dreamers who don't do their research.

Best suggestion is that GAI add the factory numbers to the labels for these packs.

Old 05-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shane Killian

"will you find a card of this magnitude"

i like how he asks that and all the pictures of t206s are of reprints

Old 05-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: PASJD

As I was getting a headache just from trying to read the ridiculous thing. Yikes.

Old 05-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Auction realized prices can only be reliable indicators of market price when the auction descriptions are accurate and not deceptive. One reason is that many bidders choose the amount of their bids based directly on what is said in the description.

It's unlikely that anyone here is going to beleive that T206 Ty Cobb reprints are worth $200 each because a fake Cobb sold for $200 in one of those private eBay auctions.

Old 05-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

Even if you put the factory number on the insert, there will still be ignorant people out there lulled into believing that there might be a mint wagner lurking inside. People don't understand that the factory designation is so important and that only a few factories even issued wagners or T206 cards generally. Like the reprint problem, it's about educating buyers. But when you have unscrupulous sellers, a new sucker is born every day.

What really bothers me so much about people bidding a few hundred dollars on wagner reprints is that they really think the rest of us are just so stupid not to bid, or that they might get lucky and have it not be a reprint after all. It's the same logic that compels people to spend copious amounts of cash on lottery tickets. People can imagine winning the lottery and purchasing a ticket brings their dream one step closer to reality. But it's really just an idiot tax.

Old 05-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Moraine

Hey PASJD & DJ I am a little concerned about your health and well being. Have you both gotten over your migranes and headaches? If not, consult our boards own Doctor. (Darren D.)

Best Regards,

Adam J. Moraine

Old 05-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Item went for $2,176.00. 57 bids. Low feedback bidders. Can't understand why eBay lets auctions like this continue.

Old 05-08-2005, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Hans

Because they picked up $45.76 (if my math is right) in final value fees?

Old 05-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

why not mention Heine to be differeent!

(Login barrysloate)
unopened packMay 5 2005, 12:53 PM

Why does every seller have to use the same ridiculous selling point-"dare I say this pack might contain the rare T206 Wagner card." Don't any of these packs ever contain Nattress or Congalton or simply nothing at all?

Hippo Vaughn would seem much more credible as well.

Old 05-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Yoken

I love the "here's a picture of the tax stamp, and isn't my keyboard
background lovely?"

This guy should be writing for the Enquirer, and taking pictures for National Geographic!!

What a joke!

Old 05-08-2005, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

How old do you have to be to be a 'Used Car Salesman'?

Would you buy a Rolex from a infant at the corner of your block?

Why does every scan have a 1984 Rack Pack photograph?

I'm simply in awe at this seller and his 'unprofessional', carnival barking Inventory. I like purchasing my items from 'Mature' human beings.

DJ

Old 05-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

(to perhaps rescue GAI form having authenticated this one)

Old 05-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

The buyer does not appear to be too educated, he also bought an overgraded PSA 4 T206 Cobb for $860. The card has crease and a decent size spot of paper missing on the front. I wish I could afford to spend my money so friverously.

Lee