NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Chris Counts

Default Could this possibly be Christy Mathewson?

I'm always amused by the many "Is this Shoeless Joe?" or "Is this Honus Wagner?" threads. Yet when I first looked at this cabinet that just closed on eBay, I was struck by how much one of the players resembled Christy Mathewson. The fact that the approximate date (c.1900) and region of the country (a small town in Eastern Pennsylvania) matched only enhanced my interest. I never did bid on the item, but I can't shake my curiosity. I won't even bother pointing out who looks like Matty. At the very least, he would have made a great stunt double. What do you guys think? Did someone strike gold? For the price, it's a cool item anyway ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_2973wt_1259

Last edited by Chris Counts; 02-01-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Phil Garry

Chris:

Back row, left, looks very much like him, need to do the research to see if he ever played on that team. If so, I would say that it is him.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 02-01-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Mark

You can see just enough in the magnified images to know that none of them has Matty's ears. He is not there.

Matty compared to the guy back row left shown below. The rest are similar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-1g c.jpg (58.3 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg Christy Mathewson tsn mears52696a_lg.jpg (48.9 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 02-01-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:56 PM
seablaster@yahoo.com

Evening gents. I have to confess to being the underbidder on this cabinet. I think the image is really quite nice. In regards to the player depicted being Mathewson, I'm not too confident.

My understanding is that Christy played for his rival Mill City team only a handful of times; 7-8 times I believe. The photographer was from a Pennsylvania town called Harleysville which is over 100 miles away from Mill City.

The sheer distance between the cities and the sporadic appearance in games for the Mill City team was enough to convince me not to pursue this outside of its obvious appeal.

I've been wrong in the past though. Certainly a cool piece.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlowe1 View Post
You can see just enough in the magnified images to know that none of them has Matty's ears. He is not there.
Agreed.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Chris Counts

Mark, thanks to your past observations, I applied the ears test, and as a result, decided to pass on the photo when I had a chance to bid on it. There's certainly a resemblance, though ...
Old 02-01-2012, 07:14 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I live pretty close to Harleysville. It is still a small town. There is no local legend of Christy playing here. But that doesn't mean the photographer from Harleysville couldn't travel somewhere else to take the photo...
Old 02-01-2012, 08:49 PM

Looks like Johnny Evers in the front row, second from right.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
Mark, thanks to your past observations, I applied the ears test, and as a result, decided to pass on the photo when I had a chance to bid on it. There's certainly a resemblance, though ...
Chris - I think most people can learn to do this to a reasonable degree. Glad you didn't win it.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:36 PM
tony

I think I can see Mickey Mantles dad