NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-08-2010, 10:56 AM

Default Scrapbook Find - H812s? Keefe and Connor

I am usually more of a memoribilia collector and poster on the memoribilia side, but I recently picked up a scrapbook that has a wide variety of trade cards, scraps, flag etc tobacco cards, but it also has 2 interesting baseball pieces. They have the appearance of trimmed H812s, and in one of them you can make out the name Roger Connor at the bottom, the other I believe is Tim Keefe. They are approximately three inches tall. I believe based on net54 archives searching that REA sold 8 trimmed H812s about 15 years ago, 1 of which included Keefe even though he isn't listed on the checklists available online. What do you guys think? Are these H812s? or some other period piece? The other pieces in the scrapbook are definetly 1880s period.

Thanks
Keith
Here are some scans:

Old 06-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Jon Canfield

I don't think they are H812s. Names usually appear underneath the portrait, and I'm not aware of any writing that goes through the bottom portion of the portrait as can be seen in the scrapbooks pages you have pictured above.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I believe so

Based on the Welch I previously owned, that was full, I believe these are H812's......Nice pickup....
Old 06-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default concur with Jon also

I don't remember writing on the upper parts of any I have seen but I am sticking with my guess....they are so scarce I don't remember seeing more than a few.....
Old 06-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Barry Sloate

Great find! While these two portraits are in the style of H812, with the same ties and collars, as noted above H812's do not have any printing on the body of the player. I checked the Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards and Rob's 1995 catalog for images, and these confirm that. What you have is something in that format, but they are not exactly the same.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Barry Sloate

The Tim Keefe has an E on his right shoulder, and the Roger Connor an AT on his left. Any thoughts on what that could be?
Old 06-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Paul C.

Here are the H812s for Welch and Deasley compared to the images of Keefe and Connor.

Eight cards are on the H812 checklist:
Dorgan, Esterbrook, Gerhardt, O'Rourke, Richardson, Welch, Deasley, Ewing

Three additional unlisted cards were sold in the 1995 REA auction:
Ward, Keefe, and Gillespie

As far as I know, an H812 Connor has not yet been verified.

Welch's name is printed right below his tie, and Connor's name is printed right below his tie.
Deasley's name is printed to the left of his tie, so it is possible that the "E" on Keefe's card is the "E" in his last name.
The blue ink is remarkably similar - if not an exact match - in the cards and the images.
If the owner of the eight H812s sold at the 1995 REA auction could post some images that would be very helpful.

Paul C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Welch---.jpg (19.0 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg Deasley--!.jpg (22.9 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg H812---similar-type-card,-K.jpg (25.6 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg H812---similar-type-card,-C.jpg (30.6 KB, 346 views)
Old 06-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The bottom of the Connor has the lettering "Roger Connor" partially visible. My hunch is that these images are reused for an ad piece for another product and that the lettering on the shoulders is from that ad.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-08-2010, 08:33 PM

Default H812s?

Thanks guys for all the comments and info. Barry, do you have a scan of the image the REA showed for their 1995 auction? If so, would be able to post it? It seems there was some variability on where the players name appears under the portrait, with the Deasley being at an angle off to the side and Welch well below the portrait. The lettering seemed odd on the bottom to me too. I am not sure how the advertising on the bottom of the cards was determined, but it appears the Welch and Deasley had different advertisements on the bottom, so it is possible that the shoulder lettering on Keefe and Connor is somehow part of the advertisement on the card? I know this would be unlikely given the off to the side positioning of the letters, but I guess I can't say its impossible. A cut up advertising piece or a trimmed composite piece used to advertise for the card set also seems like a possibility.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:25 AM
Barry Sloate

Sorry, I don't know how to scan.

And the REA catalog pictured only a tiny image of the Ward. None of the others were there. This was the old days when everything was small.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:33 AM

Default Scrapbook

No problem. I actually emailed REA earlier this morning to get their opinion on the pair.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:08 AM
Paul C.

Does anyone have the 1995 REA catalog who can post a scan of Ward's H812 card? It may be tiny but it's the card's only known image.

Last edited by orator1; 06-09-2010 at 08:08 AM.