NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-23-2022, 08:19 AM

Default Sgc

Johhny360- then wait 6 months for cards that stand a decent chance of
being wrongly graded? Gotta finish the thought, don't we? Trent King

PS- you know, that may not be a bad strategy after all. Submit to PSA so
that, when they finally return the submission, the cards have become "vintage"
in the interim. So THAT is the logic, that's the long play. Ingenious!
Old 07-23-2022, 09:30 AM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default SGC new policies

The fact is that SGC does not even allow phone calls unless you are privileged to have their private numbers yet currently still has huge amount of demand, so I guess they think they know what they are doing.

I no longer submit anymore with such a blatant disregard for customers to either company unless its thru an auction house, they get better service, its time the complainers do the same.
Old 07-23-2022, 10:35 AM
Carl Lamendola

They probably only have one machine to encapsulate and don’t want to transport it.
I don’t understand why the don’t have a phone number for customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2022, 11:05 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by painthistorian View Post
The fact is that SGC does not even allow phone calls unless you are privileged to have their private numbers yet currently still has huge amount of demand, so I guess they think they know what they are doing.

I no longer submit anymore with such a blatant disregard for customers to either company unless its thru an auction house, they get better service, its time the complainers do the same.
This is 100% spot on for both PSA and SGC.
Old 07-23-2022, 11:57 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by painthistorian View Post

People for the most part don't care about customer service, they just want the flip and slabs. It's ironic because back in the day SGC used to have outstanding customer service over the phone, in my limited experience. And not all that long ago when I submitted some relatively obscure nonsports cards, Matt Clark could not have been better to deal with.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-23-2022 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-23-2022, 12:10 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
People for the most part don't care about customer service, they just want the flip and slabs. It's ironic because back in the day SGC used to have outstanding customer service over the phone, in my limited experience. And not all that long ago when I submitted some relatively obscure nonsports cards, Matt Clark could not have been better to deal with.
Matt was GREAT at SCG, which is probably a large part of the reason he is at REA now.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-23-2022, 12:13 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

They've set the bar so low, anyone can trip over it

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-23-2022, 12:31 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Matt was GREAT at SCG, which is probably a large part of the reason he is at REA now.
Matt was awesome at SGC. He has been gone for a few years. He helped me with my last sub to them and was gone by the time the cards come back.
Old 07-23-2022, 12:53 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Matt was great at SGC….He is Currently Great Working for REA.
Old 07-23-2022, 01:40 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Shhh!!!! Peter went to a great deal to tell all us all what an incredible opportunity it is. Now you just ruined it by injecting common sense.
If you don't like the pre-grade, which you probably won't, you still have a raw card and save $5 + shipping both ways. Quite a deal!!!
Old 07-23-2022, 01:48 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
If you don't like the pre-grade, which you probably won't, you still have a raw card and save $5 + shipping both ways. Quite a deal!!!
You could be the next Peter over at SGC!!!!!
Old 07-23-2022, 02:13 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I finally caved and watched the Instagram video. "You can pretty much count on the grade being the same as your pre-grade." 🤔
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 07-23-2022, 02:28 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Friend experience with Matt was far from stellar. Wasnt he a " legacy" hire due to his dad's influence in the hobby? I literally cant believe people would say he was great based on this ones person's experience. I know of it because I recommended REA and held their hand through the whole ordeal, including when I told them pull the set as it was only graded as authentic.

He sent in consignors signed set to get graded, and "forgot " to have it dual graded. It came back as only authentic and had to be resubmitted.

Old 07-23-2022, 07:11 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Friend experience with Matt was far from stellar. Wasnt he a " legacy" hire due to his dad's influence in the hobby? I literally cant believe people would say he was great based on this ones person's experience. I know of it because I recommended REA and held their hand through the whole ordeal, including when I told them pull the set as it was only graded as authentic.

He sent in consignors signed set to get graded, and "forgot " to have it dual graded. It came back as only authentic and had to be resubmitted.
We all make mistakes, did he make it right? There were times things didn't go according to plan when he was at SGC, but he would stop at nothing to make things right. Perfection is great, but I'll take someone who fixes their mistakes any day of the week.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-23-2022, 07:45 PM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default RE: current thread

Just to clarify- Matt when he was with SGC was NOT a legacy hire, he was hired and trained by Dave,Scott & Co., and he earned his reputation on his own merit as a hard working and very capable customer sales technician. He acquired extensive knowledge is a short period of time, enough to move onto REA where he now excels. SGC moved to Florida, and it may have been a personal choice but both REA & SGC were great companies, and REA still is in all aspects of customer service.

I wish SGC would reinstate their customer service number 1-800-GOSGC but that unfortunately is their new business model and luckily they have excelled due to the huge modern climate bump which is now starting to lose steam.
They (SGC) still have great holders and quality graders but that little loss of customer friendliness is really missing and its sad. They are still very important to the industry.
Old 07-23-2022, 07:50 PM
Carl Lamendola

Quote:
This is 100% spot on for both PSA and SGC.

That can’t be further from the truth. PSA has risen as a Phoenix from the Pandemic and SGC better invest in a customer service phone number and show up. I’ve been grading cards with SGC for probably 23 years and PSA for 20.
If PSA’s CEO can respond to Twitter at 6:19am and have one of his IT staff tell me when an issue is fixed late later that day, while I can’t get Peter to return an email about the re-holdering older cards where the flips printing is fading something is rotten in Denmark.

Here’s a coupon 1 free grade for every 20 cards that was issued over 20 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2022, 08:38 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
We all make mistakes, did he make it right? There were times things didn't go according to plan when he was at SGC, but he would stop at nothing to make things right. Perfection is great, but I'll take someone who fixes their mistakes any day of the week.
I ended up with the blow back for recommending REA. No good deed

Old 07-23-2022, 09:11 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
That can’t be further from the truth. PSA has risen as a Phoenix from the Pandemic and SGC better invest in a customer service phone number and show up. I’ve been grading cards with SGC for probably 23 years and PSA for 20.
If PSA’s CEO can respond to Twitter at 6:19am and have one of his IT staff tell me when an issue is fixed late later that day, while I can’t get Peter to return an email about the re-holdering older cards where the flips printing is fading something is rotten in Denmark.
Huh? What I wrote can't be further from the truth but what I wrote was a reply agreeing with someone's observation's, which I identified with and your reply to me had nothing to do with my sentiment.

Either way, MY opinion is based on MY experience. Your opinion is based on your experience. Ya see how that works? This is not about truth.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:14 AM
Carl Lamendola

Quote:
Huh? What I wrote can't be further from the truth but what I wrote was a reply agreeing with someone's observation's, which I identified with and your reply to me had nothing to do with my sentiment.

Either way, MY opinion is based on MY experience. Your opinion is based on your experience. Ya see how that works? This is not about truth.

Okay. You correct you are entitled to your opinion. Let me restate what I said, My opinion and experience is that it’s not 100% “spot on” that PSA is only focused on customer service for auction houses and have received both email and voice communications from their Chief of Staff and Set Registry Manager based on separate inquiries. Also, their CEO responded with a direct message on Twitter to an issue I flagged on their site after an upgrade.

Just to be clear i only send in a few hundred cards (<300) per year and don’t believe that warrants any special treatment. I’ve just been a loyal customer to both, but am extremely disappointed with SGC’s unresponsiveness.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:24 AM
Paul

I can understand how perhaps SGC does not consider it cost effective to encapsulate cards at the National and have to shut down their Boca operation for a week. I would consider it a major improvement if they would just answer the telephone or my email messages. I don't think that is too much to ask. Regards, Paul

Last edited by pkaufman; 07-24-2022 at 10:13 AM. Reason: sp
Old 07-24-2022, 06:56 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
Okay. You correct you are entitled to your opinion. Let me restate what I said, My opinion and experience is that it’s not 100% “spot on” that PSA is only focused on customer service for auction houses and have received both email and voice communications from their Chief of Staff and Set Registry Manager based on separate inquiries. Also, their CEO responded with a direct message on Twitter to an issue I flagged on their site after an upgrade.

Just to be clear i only send in a few hundred cards (<300) per year and don’t believe that warrants any special treatment. I’ve just been a loyal customer to both, but am extremely disappointed with SGC’s unresponsiveness.
That is terrific that your experiences with PSA have been positive with regards to resolving issues. I think most would feel otherwise. It is a fairly large company and as large companies go, great customer service is not something they typically do well. If they are doing a better job for you than SGC is, in that department, I am not shocked. SGC has been a larger company for a much shorter period of time. Not defending them but it might be part of the equation.

Either way, when I pay for their services I am know I am only paying for grading which I expect to be done right. If it can be done timely, terrific but I would not expect either of them to address issues promptly.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:24 PM
Michael S

Quote:
That is terrific that your experiences with PSA have been positive with regards to resolving issues. I think most would feel otherwise.
I am in the Carl camp. PSA over SGC right now. Does that make it a majority on THIS site? Heck no.