NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-23-2019, 08:01 AM
Jason Seidl

Default Confusion with Type Photos on PSA Site

Type I - A 1st generation photograph, developed from the original negative, during the period (within approximately two years of when the picture was taken).
Type II - A photograph, developed from the original negative, during the period (more than approximately two years after the picture was taken).
Type III - A 2nd generation photograph, developed from a duplicate negative or wire transmission, during the period (within approximately two years of when the picture was taken).
Type IV - A 2nd generation photograph (or 3rd or later generation), developed from a duplicate negative or wire transmission, during a later period (more than approximately two years after the picture was taken)

Assuming the above is accurate how is the Ruth photo they show on PSA's site a Type IV and not a Type III????

https://www.psacard.com/services/ori...uthentication/

Ruth does not get to the Yankees until December 26 of 1919. Lets' Crazily assume they shot this the day he was signed. That means the photo would be have to be dated after December 26 2021 to be considered a Type IV...Correct??? also, how do they know it was made from a Duplicate negative??

Just trying to educate myself.

Happy Collecting,
Jason

Last edited by Jersey City Giants; 01-23-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:19 AM

I think they just have the date wrong on their site. They state it is a UPI photo and that company did not come about until a merger in 1958 which would make the Type 4 classification correct. If it was indeed a 1921 photo off a duplicate negative it would be a Type 3.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:51 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
I think they just have the date wrong on their site. They state it is a UPI photo and that company did not come about until a merger in 1958 which would make the Type 4 classification correct. If it was indeed a 1921 photo off a duplicate negative it would be a Type 3.

Not such a good "look" for the experts if the misidentify something on their own webpage....
Old 01-23-2019, 11:08 AM
Jason Seidl

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
That is what I thought. How would you know it is a duplicate negative if the photo was within the 2 year time frame?
Old 01-23-2019, 11:20 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

They have the type correct, but the wrong date under the image. Maybe it is supposed to be 1961 not 1921. UPI was formed in the 1950s.

You appear to be first to have noticed the discrepancy.

Last edited by drcy; 01-23-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:40 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey City Giants View Post
That is what I thought. How would you know it is a duplicate negative if the photo was within the 2 year time frame?
Could be based on the clarity of the image, or various indications of it being a wire photo.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:34 AM

This post raises my concerns about the use of the current type system. I think we should change to focus on clarity of the image and the age of the print . This would force us to value photos based on the image quality and the relative rarity. This would also be way more objective of a standard rather then trying to figure out exactualy how the photo was made.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:48 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason19th View Post
This post raises my concerns about the use of the current type system. I think we should change to focus on clarity of the image and the age of the print . This would force us to value photos based on the image quality and the relative rarity. This would also be way more objective of a standard rather then trying to figure out exactualy how the photo was made.

I think the type system - which I'm not much of a fan of- is an attempt at doing just that.

Generally speaking, a print from a copy negative won't be as sharp as a print from the original.

The counterpoint to that is that some of the prints especially earlier ones would have been made one at a time, or in batches from the same setup. If the setup was bad, the resulting print won't be clear. I've seen some pretty bad prints from original negatives, and some really nice ones from copy or duplicate negatives. It's mostly operator skill.

What I don't like is the idea that a print from the original negative is necessarily not as "good" if it was done years later. If the contrast and clarity are really nice, to me it shouldn't matter. (the exception being some art photographers, where the is and should be a difference between a print processed by the artist and one done by someone with access to the negatives. )
Old 01-24-2019, 02:32 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason19th View Post
Your concern is only an issue if the value assigned to a photo is based strictly on its Type classification. PSA marketing team's assertions aside, a photo's "Type" (shorthand for when and how a print was produced) should NOT be the only factor considered in judging its value. Other factors, including clarity, theme, subject, date, photographer, condition, and even size also affect a photo's value. If you can't figure out when or how a photo was made, it is not rendered worthless. Nor does a photo being Type 1 automatically make it valuable. The Type designation is simply shorthand for some of the less-subjective factors.