NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-25-2014, 07:46 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
No Pre-War Auto Racing Section to put this, my apologies. A 1936 Yakima Fairgrounds Speedway Time Trial pic with unknown driver in the Old Death Car. Hope people do not mind:
Cool photo, Ty! Is the "Old Death Car" something that should be instantly recognizable by that name, or just this gent's private nickname for his racer? (Forgive me if that question sounds ridiculous, keeping in mind that I am completely oblivious to the world of auto racing, modern or pre-war).
Old 06-25-2014, 08:59 AM
pariah1107

Thank you Lance. These 1930's outlaw/sprint cars were sometimes referred to as "Death Sleds". Safety was practically nonexistent; A lot of jalopies on the track, many drivers did not wear helmets or just wore skull caps (though this one seems to have acquired a US military issue), and most drivers did not wear seat-belts as it was thought to be safer if the driver was thrown from the vehicle as it wrecked (unfortunately this often left drivers on the track). A lot like the early history of football, auto racing had it's share of fatalities.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:02 PM
Mikeknapp

Okay I know this matters only to me and is neither pre-war or valuable. Nonetheless I am thrilled to add it to my collection. The 1971 World Series original newspapers show up periodically I have one of those as well. However, this is the first time I have ever seen the paper related to winning the 1971 pennant. I never knew that a $10 item could make me so happy. If anyone knows where I can pick up a stub to game one of the 1971 NLCS or game three of the 1971 ALCS I would be forever in your debt. Thanks for indulging me as no one else in my world understands my disease
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1971 Pittsburgh Post Gazzette Pirates Win the Pennant.jpg (77.3 KB, 349 views)
Old 06-25-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Okay I know this matters only to me and is neither pre-war or valuable. Nonetheless I am thrilled to add it to my collection. The 1971 World Series original newspapers show up periodically I have one of those as well. However, this is the first time I have ever seen the paper related to winning the 1971 pennant. I never knew that a $10 item could make me so happy. If anyone knows where I can pick up a stub to game one of the 1971 NLCS or game three of the 1971 ALCS I would be forever in your debt. Thanks for indulging me as no one else in my world understands my disease
SWEET! Nice paper, Mike!
Old 06-25-2014, 11:42 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
SWEET! Nice paper, Mike!
Thanks Scott I'm a man of simple needs with equally modest means
Old 06-26-2014, 04:58 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
I understand your disease......but don't like the sub-headline. #!%€$&@ Bob Robertson!
Old 06-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Brad Pencil

Default Picked this up - 1924 Ruth/Johnson

Love this photo! Have a 1970's postcard to match.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2752.jpg (72.0 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2753.jpg (80.1 KB, 196 views)
Old 06-28-2014, 09:41 PM
Kenny

Picked up this Wheat Notebook.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheat notebook smaller.jpg (14.3 KB, 178 views)
Old 06-29-2014, 07:42 AM
Ron V

I picked up this photo this morning, I'm not sure what game it is. It is definitely Dodgers b/c I see Roy Campanella catching and it is at Ebbets field. Does anybody know what game this might be? I think it's against the Yankees and looks like Joe Dimaggio batting. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140629_081741_resized.jpg (71.2 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg 20140629_081732_resized.jpg (72.5 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by eastonfalcon19; 06-29-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:23 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastonfalcon19 View Post
I picked up this photo this morning, I'm not sure what game it is. It is definitely Dodgers b/c I see Roy Campanella catching and it is at Ebbets field. Does anybody know what game this might be? I think it's against the Yankees and looks like Joe Dimaggio batting. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Any way you can read some of the scoreboard with a magnifying glass? When I enlarge it it becomes to pixilated. You might be able to make out opposing team name from an original photo. Looks like the top of the first inning though since there isn't any individual innings scored yet.
Drew
Old 06-29-2014, 10:26 AM
Ron V

I looked at the scoreboard and the runner on first, they are playing the Yankees. Jackie Robinson is at 2nd. The batter looks like Joe D but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:13 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
I looked at the scoreboard and the runner on first, they are playing the Yankees. Jackie Robinson is at 2nd. The batter looks like Joe D but I'm not 100% sure.
In doing some quick research I discovered it had to be game 4 of the 1949 World Series assuming a few things. IF it's Joe D up at bat then this is the only World Series game where there is a runner only first in the top of the 1st with no runs yet. I do have my doubts though because that means the Brooklyn pitcher is Don Newcombe and the runner on first is Yogi Berra. In my opinion neither of the players in the picture reminds me of Newcombe or Berra. That being said, either this is a pre-season exhibition game (which I doubt with presence of the CBS camera in 1949) or it isn't Joe Dimmagio at bat. He only faced the Dodgers in one World Series with Campy on the team but the Yankees faced the Dodgers in 5 World Series in Brooklyn, 49, 52,53, 55, and 56 , all with Campy who is obviously catching in your photo.

I'll keep looking to come up with another game it could be but without Joe D at the plate.

Drew

*just noticed that it appears there was one out in the inning. Ebbets scoreboard listed at bat, strikes, balls and outs across the top with the amount of each above the word. Outs is the last one listed and seems to have a "1" above it. Also no balls or strikes listed in this at bat so the pitch being thrown is the first of the at bat.
Any way to make out the player number above the at bat sign? It's right below the work "fine" at the top and all the way to the left.

Drew

Last edited by almostdone; 06-29-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:30 AM
Ron V

Thanks Drew I appreciate all of the research...the scoreboard says 1 out. Yeah I agree the pitcher doesn't look like Don Newcombe. I just thought the batter looked like Joe D but I am probably wrong.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:38 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Thanks Drew I appreciate all of the research...the scoreboard says 1 out. Yeah I agree the pitcher doesn't look like Don Newcombe. I just thought the batter looked like Joe D but I am probably wrong.
My pleasure. Any excuse to do some digging about the Brooklyn Dodgers is good enough for me. Sorry we couldn't come to a diffinitive answer but still fun looking.
Drew
Old 06-29-2014, 06:03 PM
N@te

Pudge Rodriguez game used Tigers bat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.3 KB, 170 views)

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 06-29-2014, 06:03 PM
N@te

Pic 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (84.4 KB, 170 views)

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 06-30-2014, 01:44 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Default Double X

Just picked up these interesting Jimmie Foxx photos from some sort of hunting trip. All are either 7x9 or 8x10. Interesting in a weird sort of way.

They will be available shortly in the BST for anyone who may be interested.

Tom C