NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Lar.ry Mur.phy

Default Who to use to Authenticate Items by CCSA

This showed up in my inbox this morning.

http://scottmalack.com/?p=77

A site rarely run by Scott Malack of Coach's Corner, I guess part owner of "Coach’s Corner is proud to offer our customers the finest in authentic sports memorabilia. We’ve been in business over twenty-five years and looking forward to the next 25 years as well.”

Pretty funny stuff. He is probably right as those scumbags will probably be around for another 25 years.

Especially:

Who to Use to Authenticate My Items?

I have been asked this question at least 1,000 times and my response is always the same. There is not 1 well-known professional authenticator that I have not heard dozens of complaints about. My advice is to find one that you have a good relationship with and that has no ties or “conflicts of interest” with any business or auction company: meaning that they are not on the companies payroll or more directly speaking-paid to pass items.

Why are all of these nice balls dated Scott? I guess you have a good relationship with rareandsigned.com, right? What is your definition of "conflict of interest"? Seems like the same hand did all the dating, doesn't it?

Solid advice Scott! Great stuff! You think that Comiskey ball penned in 1919 will fetch $500?

Happy Collecting!

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 429397.jpg (35.0 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg 431085.jpg (26.7 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg 431137.jpg (24.2 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg 431426.jpg (33.4 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg 431727.jpg (24.8 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg 431729.jpg (29.5 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg 431794.jpg (26.1 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg 431800.jpg (24.2 KB, 265 views)
Old 10-10-2014, 02:32 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

I will tell you what scares me-The ball are OBVIOUSLY fakes, but the signatures themselves seem to get better (closer to the real thing) all the time, which seems to me that the forgers are getting better. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:50 PM

Weird how John Ward and Josh Gibson somehow went to school together and learned the EXACT same way to write numbers (despite being born a half century apart, being of different social classes and breaking all racial barriers of their day).
Old 10-10-2014, 03:14 PM

Must have been a heck of a show. Looks like everyone used the same pen 30 years apart.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:21 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

They must have had some great private signing sessions with these guys. I hear they are all CCSA EXCLUSIVE signers. No extra charge for inscriptions. They are all horribly bad forgeries.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Belltown Vintage

The weird thing is that people have been buying enough stuff from CC to keep them in business for 25 years. Who are these people?

Do they have pointy heads? Do they ever leave their apartments or trailers? Are they ideal Geraldo guest candidates?
Old 10-10-2014, 07:34 PM
Christopher Williams

Scott, I do believe that the majority of the "buyers" are stores like Antiquities, etc.

They sell tons of forgeries with COAs from Chris Morales, Ted Taylor, Drew Max, etc. to impulse buyers.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
The weird thing is that people have been buying enough stuff from CC to keep them in business for 25 years. Who are these people?

Do they have pointy heads? Do they ever leave their apartments or trailers? Are they ideal Geraldo guest candidates?
Scott,
I truly believe that at this point in time CC's prime customers are just resellers.
Mall stores, smaller auctions, etc. Sellers who sell to the unknowing impulse buyer. I am sure that the vast majority of serious autograph collectors are well aware of what CC is actually selling.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 10-10-2014, 08:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks Richard, that makes total sense.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:09 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post

I'd have to say some of the biggest customers have to be those big buildings full of sad people with money falling out of their pockets...staring at roulette wheels, slot machines with buttons instead of the traditional pull-stick (all the faster to take your money) and stacked decks.

House always wins, even when they don't. All they have to do is get some sucker on an adrenaline rush, who just won big and can't believe his luck that on the way out the door he spotted a GEN-U-WINE Josh Gibson autograph in the Gift shop, for the too good to be true price of $5000.

Oh, and Cruise ships. Those are good places to sell this sort of stuff and take advantage of somewhat hazy seafaring commerce laws, and marks throwing away their vacation money.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:15 PM

Wonder if they'll hold a Josh Gibson private signing anytime soon?
Old 10-11-2014, 12:47 AM
Dave

I hear Scott Bakula rents his Quantum Leap machine to Coach's Corner, twice a month.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:24 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I do not think we can ever know who buys these items from CCSA. They certainly are not selling for anywhere near market price/value, so it could be anybody from a millionaire in the US to Japan or Australia to the 15 year old kid spending his allowance on a dream ball at a seemingly great price or the guy trying to be the hottest collector in his area or the next little Cooperstown . Suffice it to say that those buyers do not post here and have very little knowledge of the lack of authenticity of those items, I would not say say ignorant but rather uninformed. Whatever the reason CCSA has made a small fortune off these people , and they keep coming to their site and buying these horrific items.
To paraphrase Field of Dreams , one of my favorite movies , " forge it and they will buy".
I hear their next private signing is with Amos Rusie who will date and inscribe Hoosier Thunderbolt for free.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Christopher Williams

Default Coach's Corner Auctions Scott Malack Lee Trythall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
I do not think we can ever know who buys these items from CCSA. They certainly are not selling for anywhere near market price/value, so it could be anybody from a millionaire in the US to Japan or Australia to the 15 year old kid spending his allowance on a dream ball at a seemingly great price or the guy trying to be the hottest collector in his area or the next little Cooperstown . Suffice it to say that those buyers do not post here and have very little knowledge of the lack of authenticity of those items, I would not say say ignorant but rather uninformed. Whatever the reason CCSA has made a small fortune off these people , and they keep coming to their site and buying these horrific items.
To paraphrase Field of Dreams , one of my favorite movies , " forge it and they will buy".
I hear their next private signing is with Amos Rusie who will date and inscribe Hoosier Thunderbolt for free.
I beg to differ.

In my humble opinion, the majority of buyers of Coach's Corner forgeries know exactly what they are buying.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:37 AM
R@nda!! H@hn

I live not too far from CC. In fact at one time I lived only a few blocks away. I knew those guys when they just owned a tiny card store called Captain Ricks. I have actually been to their place as recently as 2 years ago. I will sometimes watch the auction for JSA or PSA items as well as McGwire signed items which I can easily identify as good or bad. Over the years I have bought a handful of real nice McGwire signed items at a good price, but thats only because I weeded though the 100s of bad ones. They run out of an old, old vacant building. The stuff is piled up all over when you walk in. Usually have to walk around and yell for someone to help you out. Probably could just grab a bunch of stuff and leave, but it would mostly be worthless...LOL

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 10-12-2014, 01:03 PM
Dave

Not surprising that security is not so tight, when you could just replace that priceless Moses Fleetwood Walker / Cap Anson dual signed baseball, with a simple call to the local handwriting "expert", Mr. More-Or-Less......or Ted Paydirt.