NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-29-2014, 08:06 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Default Mantle Opinion

What do you guys think about this Mantle? I think the sig looks OK, but I have never seen this image signed before. That always gives me some reservations. Thanks and let me know.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:36 AM
Kevin O'Gara

I'm no expert but it looks good to me
Old 07-29-2014, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkco4bls View Post
I'm no expert but it looks good to me
+1

The placement of the signature is characteristic of the type of care that MM exercises in his signatures, the ink optimally placed in bold relief, and contained within the area of the light area.

Signing across his chest, wouldn't have been as effective, due to the dark outlying areas.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Jeff P0tter

I believe this one is good as well.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

If I am not mistaken this is the same photo. The difference this is an original and the one we are asking about is third gen. For that reason only I will not say yea or ney because I dont know if this is a photo of a signiture. As to where Mantle signes that is another story. Please correct me if this is not the same photo. If it where not a third gen

$_57.jpg

Last edited by shelly; 07-29-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Shelly,

I haven't seen the photo in-person yet, so I can't vouch on it being a copy or genuine. However, the photo I posted has the MBLPA logo in the bottom corner and yours does not. So maybe my photo is a blown up official version of your photo?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

What I am saying is the minute you do not have the orginal that can also mean the signiture might be a second or third copy. Not an original signiture.

Last edited by shelly; 07-29-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:07 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Looks like a copy of the Sports Illustrated poster. Not sure off the top of my head, but that's the first thing I thought when I saw it.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:18 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Duluth,

I am a bit confused. You say it looks like a copy but it has the MLBPA logo in the corner. So it is not some cheap Kinkos photo. Other than photo quality can you please comment on the autograph? Thanks for your input.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:06 PM
Jim M.arinari

Most of those photos are crappy quality, many of which are photos of photos. They are MLPA authorized photos that were available and used for most of the autograph show signings during the 80's nto the 90's. Promoters would make copies of the MLPA items to avoid paying the proper fees, thus more profit. I think it is authentic, as yours seems to have the logo in the right place and it doesn't seem to be terribly blurry. Many even have TV Sports Mailbag printed on the reverse (although I'm not positive that this Mantle was offered).

Last edited by Deertick; 07-29-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:22 PM
Banned

Very interesting Ruth close up proving that Ruth was the first practitioner of the "Sparkly Eyes Technique".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erkpm6QggrU

and cloud-bursting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSkEiwWWE7c

It's all in the eyes!

Last edited by William Farrell; 07-29-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I stand or sit corrected again, not same pose as SI poster now that I looked it up. As others have already stated, cheap photo quality with good looking autograph.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:26 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

My reason for not buying that piece is that I am not sure if that is signed photo or a picture of a signed photo. The signiture was never the problem
Old 10-08-2014, 05:35 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Just to follow-up on this post. I added this Mantle photo to my collection, and it does have the TV sports mailbag stamping on the back. It is not as blurry in-person, but it is definitely a zoomed in version of the picture that Shelly posted.

Thanks for all the feedback!