NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 PM

And one more question:

Do you think that the number of Wagner SC 150s and the number of Plank SC 150s is roughly the same with the Plank 350s accounting for the slightly larger number of extant Planks than Wagners?
JimB
Old 01-21-2012, 06:32 AM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
Tim,
Your presentation makes a lot of sense to me and I appreciate all the hard work you and others have put into this. I have a question about the Plank. It makes sense that Wagner and Plank were late additions to the 150 series and only distributed with Sweet Cap backs. Both have what appear to be a few handcut examples with Piedmont 150 backs. In the case of the Wagner, it makes sense that these were pulled from distribution right away and never made it into Piedmont packs. But we know that Plank continued into the 350 series, at least for a very short time. How would you explain the existence of a pulled 150 Piedmont Plank that then gets continued in the 350 series?

My guess is that since there seems to be some evidence to suggest the Wagner and Plank 150's were on the same sheet that when Wagner protested, since not many of those Piedmont sheets had been printed, they just trashed them rather than try to individually pull Wagners out. So a few Plank 150s and a couple Wagner 150s made their way to the hobby. Wagner production was then done, but Plank continued for a short period after the switch to 350. Does that seem probable? I would love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks,
JimB
Hi Jim - I think you and I are in agreement. I believe the reason that the Piedmont 150 sheets were pulled was to remove the Wagner. In doing so Plank was removed from the Piedmont 150 distribution as well but his subject wasn't discontinued at that point.

From the point that the Piedmont sheets were removed until the next printing of Plank was an interesting time in the print group 1 production. Here's how we explain the progression of the Plank on the site.

After the Piedmont 150 printing in which the Plank cards were not distributed, several more printings took place that did not include the Plank card. The first was for distribution with Hindu brand cigarettes. In total, 102 major-league subjects were printed at this time, with a third of the available subjects, including Plank, not being printed. The next printing was for the transition of the set from the 150 to the 350 series, with subjects being printed with Piedmont 350 and El Principe De Gales backs. Of the available subjects that could be printed at this time, just more than half were included and just less than half were not printed. Again, Plank was in this large no-print group. Of these two print runs, many subjects from print group 1 were absent from one or the other, with a group of subjects that included Plank being absent from both.

The next printing was for Sweet Caporal 350 No.30 and included Plank. After the distribution of Plank cards with this back, no additional cards of his were printed. It is not known if a cease and desist of some kind was presented to the companies responsible for the set or if they simply chose to remove the card on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
And one more question:

Do you think that the number of Wagner SC 150s and the number of Plank SC 150s is roughly the same with the Plank 350s accounting for the slightly larger number of extant Planks than Wagners?
JimB
I've been looking at the Plank and Wagner numbers for a while now and from what I can tell the Wagner and Plank SC 150 numbers are relatively the same. I don't want to go into too much detail on this as I haven't had a chance to speak to John and a few others yet to discuss it in more detail.

Yes, I believe the additional printing of the Plank with a 350 back accounts for there being more Planks than Wagner's.

Last edited by Abravefan11; 01-21-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:35 AM
Barry Sloate

Tim- I had a run quite a few years back when I handled four Planks within a period of 2-3 years. And if memory serves, they were all 350's. In fact, I can't recall ever handling a 150.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:45 AM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Tim- I had a run quite a few years back when I handled four Planks within a period of 2-3 years. And if memory serves, they were all 350's. In fact, I can't recall ever handling a 150.
Hi Barry - John's makes a good case for their being more 350 Planks than 150. I don't have any reason at this time to think that he isn't correct. The only two points I was addressing in my last post was that I don't think there are more Wagner SC 150's than Plank SC 150's. And that the additional Sweet Caporal 350 printing of Plank is why there are more examples of Planks overall than Wagner's.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Barry Sloate

I agree Tim. The only thing that makes the Plank more available is that it had a second print run.

P.S.- I don't want you to think I forgot about yout email, but I couldn't come up with any fresh T206 articles. Sorry.

Last edited by barrysloate; 01-21-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Belltown Vintage

Tim, if I'm reading this correctly, what you just said was an explanation of various 350 printings that did NOT include Plank, so nothing new related to Plank. Unless I'm missing something, we already know his card wasn't printed with EPDG or Hindu back, or Piedmont 350 backs. Was that ever in question?
Old 01-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Tim, if I'm reading this correctly, what you just said was an explanation of various 350 printings that did NOT include Plank, so nothing new related to Plank. Unless I'm missing something, we already know his card wasn't printed with EPDG or Hindu back, or Piedmont 350 backs. Was that ever in question?
In answering Jim's questions I wasn't trying to explain which backs Plank can and can not be found with. As you said that's pretty common knowledge. What I was trying to do was explain the possible printing progression and explain why there was a period of time that Plank seems to be absent from the set between the unreleased Piedmont 150 and Sweet Caporal 350 printings.

Last edited by Abravefan11; 01-21-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abravefan11 View Post
In answering Jim's questions I wasn't trying to explain which backs Plank can and can not be found with. As you said that's pretty common knowledge. What I was trying to do was explain the possible printing progression and explain why there was a period of time that Plank seems to be absent from the set between the unreleased Piedmont 150 and Sweet Caporal 350 printings.
Thanks. Okay, I get it. I am VERY dense when it comes to these print run explanations - I have read them over and over, and all the info on card replacements, timing, etc., is for the most part going right by me.

It's probably best that I concentrate on the Plank/Wagner theories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93
How would you explain the existence of a pulled 150 Piedmont Plank that then gets continued in the 350 series?

My guess is that since there seems to be some evidence to suggest the Wagner and Plank 150's were on the same sheet that when Wagner protested, since not many of those Piedmont sheets had been printed, they just trashed them rather than try to individually pull Wagners out. So a few Plank 150s and a couple Wagner 150s made their way to the hobby. Wagner production was then done, but Plank continued for a short period after the switch to 350. Does that seem probable? I would love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks,
JimB
Can we get a synopsis of Plank and Wagner card number estimates by back? I'm assuming that those who follow such things are in agreement on numbers.

Plank Pied 150:
Wagner Pied 150:
Plank SC 150:
Wagner SC 150:
Plank SC 350:

Last edited by Runscott; 01-21-2012 at 11:19 AM.