NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-06-2023, 01:21 PM

Default W551 Ruth - Status in the Hobby

Question for the community: How are the W551 strip cards -- particularly the Ruth card -- regarded in the hobby? I've always been torn on whether or not the [usually badly-drawn] strip cards feel like "real" cards to me or not.

Do serious collectors keep them in their PC, or are they just low budget pieces, like the Sanella, used to sell Ruth to more casual collectors who can't afford the "real" Ruth cards?
Old 10-06-2023, 02:39 PM

For reference, here is a W551 Ruth (not mine, image from internet).

Personally, I don’t like “W” series cards, unless they are real pictures (like the Ruth below, which I do own), and even then I own very few and only if they are rare and/or unique poses. I particularly do not like strip cards like the W551, and own none. To me, they are goofy and “less than”; maybe it’s their small size, the dark cardboard, or the clowny images, but they just don’t appeal to me. This includes Wagner items, and I collect almost anything Wagner. That said, they do provide an affordable option to acquire a playing-days version of Ruth, which are otherwise usually very expensive

For me, the one exception is the 1916-1920 UNC Bighead Ruth. It’s a a Red Sox issue, it’s pretty rare, and it’s purposefully goofy so the goofiness doesn’t bother me as much
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0153.jpg (168.5 KB, 521 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0050.jpg (159.2 KB, 514 views)

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 10-06-2023 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-06-2023, 02:57 PM
Jeremy W.

I'm a fan of W551 strip cards. I'm probably not a "serious" collector though.
Old 10-06-2023, 02:59 PM
Jim B.

I'm a Ruth collector and I just love the strip cards! Maybe it's the fragile nature coupled with the primitive style or the low pops. Collect what appeals to you. If you like 'em, then buy 'em!!! Here's a few:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916_WUNC_BIGHEAD.jpg (148.3 KB, 504 views)
File Type: jpg 1919_W514.jpg (189.2 KB, 511 views)
File Type: jpg 1920_W516_1.jpg (193.7 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg 1920_W516_1_2.jpg (201.6 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg 1921_W516_2_1.jpg (188.9 KB, 510 views)
File Type: jpg 1921_W516_2_2.jpg (149.1 KB, 498 views)
File Type: jpg 1921_W516_2_3_Ruth.jpg (149.8 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg 1920_W520_13.jpg (175.2 KB, 510 views)
File Type: jpg 1920_W522_48.jpg (185.3 KB, 501 views)
File Type: jpg 1920_W519Unnumbered.jpg (191.0 KB, 510 views)
File Type: jpg 1921_W521_Ruth5.jpg (172.5 KB, 509 views)
File Type: jpg 1921_W551.jpg (146.1 KB, 501 views)
File Type: jpg 1923_W515.jpg (146.2 KB, 500 views)
File Type: jpg 1923_W515_1_.jpg (194.3 KB, 501 views)
File Type: jpg 1923_W515_2.jpg (150.8 KB, 500 views)
File Type: jpg 1926_W512.jpg (148.7 KB, 496 views)

Last edited by BabyRuth; 10-06-2023 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-06-2023, 03:11 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I am not a big fan of the W551 either but they are Ruth cards, many people do collect them and the prices are going up(so good if you are a collector with long term investment thoughts), and the prices are still reasonable compared to other Ruth cards.

I like the big head Ruth and was fortunate to get one. Rare and took time to find one and the prices definitely has gone up dramatically. So with time the W551 will go up also.

Go for it and enjoy the card just wait for the card that has the eye appeal that you want within your budget
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3078.jpg (162.1 KB, 493 views)

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-06-2023, 06:02 PM

For collectors, the W514 set has always been the king of the drawn strip card sets, for many reasons, including the 120 card size of the set, the many HOF players pictured, the inclusion of the Black Sox players including Joe Jackson, and the decent artwork. I have always thought the W551 set was a neglected afterthought because it is only a 10 card (baseball subjects) set, but in my eyes the artwork is comparable to the W514 issue.

As far as W551 Ruth, I think folks dislike the side portrait view, and might even think it does not look like the Babe. I found a side view photo of the Babe on the web, dated from the early 1920's, the same basic time frame as the W551 set, for everyone to compare, and I would say that the W551 artists did a pretty good job with his depiction.

And both serious and non-serious collectors alike should consider strip cards as an essential part of a healthy, balanced diet of vintage cards.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w551ruth.jpg (110.7 KB, 475 views)
File Type: jpg baberuthsideviewphoto.jpg (37.6 KB, 476 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 10-06-2023 at 06:13 PM. Reason: added that the photo is dated from early 1920's
Old 10-06-2023, 06:06 PM
pete ullman

Years ago...when ruth strips were $100...I didn't value them enough to add to my PC. When they staerted gettting expensive...I started appreciating them more. All strips are not created equal though. I have close to ten strips of ruth...I shy away from ones that dont look like ruth...w514 being the exception due to its curiousness!!!!

im not even sure this is considered a strip???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg universal toy ruth fr.jpg (205.5 KB, 487 views)

Last edited by ullmandds; 10-06-2023 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-06-2023, 06:10 PM
pete ullman

S’more
Old 10-06-2023, 07:35 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I like a few of the photographic strip cards, but most others are on cheap paper and to my way of thinking, horrible looking. I would never want any of these.
Old 10-06-2023, 09:15 PM
Frank Wakefield

I used to think just like what Jay just posted. The paper reminded me of that thick construction paper that I used in primary school. I'd be trying to draw, trying to color, trying to cut out pieces of paper lefthanded with those ridiculous cheap metal scissors... And many of the strip cards looked like that: something I'd have drawn, colored, and jaggedly cut.

I've found being a hater is easy. One of my daughters, wiser than I was at her age, as we looked at something that someone else was proud of and as I criticized it a bit, she said, "Dad, don't blah somebody else's bling." It took a few seconds of reflection for that to sink in. I still criticize, but I think it is less often and less harshly.

So, back to hating. I really like a Sports Americana book, I think it's a 5th edition, green cover, Baseball Card Alphabetical Checklist. There are newer editions that have a bunch of 21st century players... The green edition I like best. With it, I can look up a player who will be listed alphabetically, and then there's a bunch of letters and numbers, eg E102. That means the player is in the E102 set. The book has a few mistakes, but it's mainly well done. If I read about a player and he interests me, then I'll be wanting a card of him from his playing days, and if I don't have one, I start searching for that green book. What I'm I hating? I hate that there's not a vintage set that had all 8 of the Eight Men Out - Blacksox. (I get annoyed at how there wasn't a significant card issue that shows Jack Rothrock as a Cardinal, he wasn't up very long, and realistically didn't deserve to be in the 1933 or 1934 Goudy sets, nor the Diamond Stars... so I'm making do with Rothrock on a matchbook cover, and on a 4in1 Exhibit card.)

The closest we can get to all 8 of the Blacksox is SEVEN, in the W514 strip cards. The cutting is a mess. If you want graded cards then strip cards don't grade well. The Paper has a slightly low ph, they'll degrade with time, they're fragile. And strip card haters, don't leave out that Wagner isn't in the set. But golly gee, the set has a fantastic assortment of HOFers. How many sets have both Mathewson and Stengel, or Babe Ruth and Southworth??? Or how about non HOFer Burt Shotton and Ty Cobb?? A very few. W514 is a snapshot of 20th century baseball immediately after the 1915 Cracker Jacks and M101-5s... and before the flood of candy cards of the early to mid 1920s. Joe Jackson, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, Rogers Hornsby, Pete Alexander, Christy Mathewson, Nap Lajoie... Wow!

I don't know if my thoughts have matured or manured, but I have learned to not hate the W514s, and have even gotten to like them. They are the green eggs and ham of the immediately post WW1 baseball cards. I'm glad people still hate them, makes them less expensive than they could be.
Old 10-06-2023, 09:18 PM
Frank Wakefield

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1696648687
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W514 BlackSox.jpg (111.1 KB, 437 views)
Old 10-06-2023, 09:33 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Not really a strip card guy, but I've always wanted a W516 Cobb, Speaker, and Ruth. Currently chasing down a different rabbit hole though so I've never made an effort to pick them up.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 10-06-2023, 09:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Lots of great insight and opinion.

The reason I was asking is because I recently picked up a W551 Ruth on a bit of an impulse buy. I really loved the idea of owning an early-days Ruth, and there just aren't many of those I can afford.

I've never been too excited by the strip cards but I thought there was a chance I'd fall in love with it after holding it in my hands and seeing it in person -- which has happened before. Alas, the meter wasn't really moved once I received it. It's a fine card and all, but it isn't the first card I pull out to show people, if you know what I mean.

So, I'm trying to decide if I should sell it and use the money on something I'd be more excited about (like a '34 Goudey Gehrig, or a Ginter Anson, etc). Or, if people would think I'm crazy because, after all, **it's an early playing-days Ruth!!** and how could you get rid of a playing-days Ruth once you have one in your possession?

I do already have a nice Sanella though.... but, let's be honest, most people probably don't consider that a real baseball card either. LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 - 2023-10-01T122653.607.jpg (201.8 KB, 435 views)

Last edited by Ima Pseudonym; 10-06-2023 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2023, 09:50 PM

It's a hobby. More to the point - it's YOUR hobby. Do you like the Ruth more than you'd like the Gehrig or whatever? That's your real question.

If you're looking for investment potential or something, then sure, what other people think might matter. But if you're just asking about what to do with your PC, whether other people like strip cards isn't really relevant. Do YOU like them?
Old 10-06-2023, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
It's a hobby. More to the point - it's YOUR hobby. Do you like the Ruth more than you'd like the Gehrig or whatever? That's your real question.

If you're looking for investment potential or something, then sure, what other people think might matter. But if you're just asking about what to do with your PC, whether other people like strip cards isn't really relevant. Do YOU like them?
I hear you, and I understand what you're saying. However...

Maybe it's just silly human nature, but we tend to like things that are popular -- even if it's just subconsciously. When it comes to my PC, I definitely have my personal favorites but I particularly love "iconic" cards... cards that are conversation pieces... cards that other people get excited about so we can talk about them. (and, conversely, I love talking about other people's iconic cards)

To that end, if the community thought, "hell no I wouldn't get rid of that, it's an early Ruth card, you moron"; that would probably tweak my perception of it just being a "goofy strip card".

And yes, the investment aspect does play a small part in it. I'm collecting them, but my kids will end up with them eventually. If there is a consensus that a card will likely appreciate much faster than other cards then it would be foolish to unload it.

Last edited by Ima Pseudonym; 10-06-2023 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-07-2023, 12:02 AM

By the way, nice W551 of Ruth. I now really like this card of him because it seems to have a fairly accurate side view depiction of Babe early in his career, as seen with the comparison photo I provided in my previous post.

By providing this comparison photo I might have just made this card more popular...discuss.

Brian (and by discussing with others, perhaps this will flip on the switch in your brain, the "I'm keeping this Ruth card because maybe, after all, it is interesting" switch)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 10-07-2023 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-07-2023, 07:02 AM

Let’s illuminate this discussion with some grading co. POP data…

There are currently 252 total graded 1921 W551 Ruth’s across PSA and SGC. In the aggregate, your SGC 2 has a better grade than 60% (152) of lower graded versions. It’s one of 35 total graded 2’s, and is only inferior to 65 total graded 2.5’s or higher (those are in the top 26%).

In SGC, there are 93 total graded, with 12 graded a 2, and 37 graded higher.

IMHO, your W551 is one of Ruth’s better looking strip cards, is way more scarce compared to thousands of Ruth’s Goudey graded cards (although I do prefer those over strip cards since they have better art and stats/info on the back), and as a 2 grade yours is in the top 40% of total graded W551 Ruth’s.

I’m doubtful it’ll go up much more than $2,650 in a 2 grade, but you never know…either way, I think is a winner!

Last edited by brunswickreeves; 10-07-2023 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-07-2023, 07:40 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

I like the strip cards because they are a reflection of period’s Art Movement. It is my belief they were purposefully drawn this way NOT because it was cheaper to due. There were strip cards of movie stars made that in all likelihood were not collected by little boys. Also, look at the cover of magazines produced at the time like the October 1921 Popular Science Magazine. Ruth is on the cover and the drawing has a strip card look to it. The W516 strips were produced by the Hearst company. There were 5 series produced in 1920 and 1921. William Randolph Hearst collected art. Do you think he’d produced this multiple times if he were ridiculed by his family, friends and colleagues?

You have to remember they were produced at a time of great prosperity :the roaring ‘20s. For reference look at the Topps 2020 series with its collection of cards made by contemporary artists. In other words, there’s a reason why the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC kept Burdick’s strip cards in its collection because they are part of Art History.

Also their price ( even the Ruth’s) compared to other works of art are very cheap. If you put it in perspective to buy an original “sketch” of a work art ( which are very often crudely drawn) that is part of the MMA’s collection is $$$$.

Last edited by EddieP; 10-07-2023 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-07-2023, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunswickreeves View Post
Let’s illuminate this discussion with some grading co. POP data…

There are currently 252 total graded 1921 W551 Ruth’s across PSA and SGC. In the aggregate, your SGC 2 has a better grade than 60% (152) of lower graded versions. It’s one of 35 total graded 2’s, and is only inferior to 65 total graded 2.5’s or higher (those are in the top 26%).

In SGC, there are 93 total graded, with 12 graded a 2, and 37 graded higher.

IMHO, your W551 is one of Ruth’s better looking strip cards, is way more scarce compared to thousands of Ruth’s Goudey graded cards (although I do prefer those over strip cards since they have better art and stats/info on the back), and as a 2 grade yours is in the top 40% of total graded W551 Ruth’s.

I’m doubtful it’ll go up much more than $2,650 in a 2 grade, but you never know…either way, I think is a winner!
Good data. Thanks for digging it up.
Old 10-07-2023, 08:26 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

W-UNC BIG HEADS:

JimB & JeffK:
I knew of Jeff's recent addition and discussed about it. Still great addition.
However, Jim, i been keeping track of these Big Heads, as i try to finish the set.
(as noted in my signature)
I did not know you had a Big Head Ruth, in a GAI holder as well...new to my list.
Maybe i need a thread on these cards.
Old 10-07-2023, 10:38 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I consider strip cards like the W551 a good "cheap" way to add a Ruth card to someone's collection. It used to be a lot cheaper than it is now. Just a few years ago, you could buy most Ruth strip cards for around $300 each with some notable exceptions such as the W514, Big Head, and W516's. Now of course, they are significantly more expensive, but still a lot cheaper than Goudey's or E121's.
Old 10-08-2023, 02:25 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Adding one more (an uncatalogued playing card set) to the mix:

I like most of the strip sets where the players look like themselves. There are a few that are just butt-ugly, like W512. They were (are?) a great alternative if you want a career-issued card of a player whose mainstream cards are unaffordable. Some look pretty good, I think:

As for the Universal Surprise Box card:

I am on the fence as to whether they are strip cards. The stock seems a little thick for that.

Strips aren't even the most 'card adjacent' things you can collect:

Anyone got any signed strip cards to show? I have one:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-08-2023 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-09-2023, 06:47 PM
Val Kehl

I suspect that the most highly coveted and most highly valued W551 card of Babe Ruth is one with the back shown below. There is only one example in the pop reports (a SGC 1.5), and I wish I had it!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-09-2023, 08:43 PM
Phil Reich

There are some strip cards that are just plain ugly, like the 1920s Ws (516s, 519s, 520s, 522s)....yeah they have HOFer rookies....i.e., Frankie Frisch and Coveleski, but I can't get over how crude they look....the earliest Frisch and Coveleski I have are from the 21 Exhibits....I just can't get myself to buy their rookies because I can't stand how they look.....

But some strip cards look terrific IMO..the W514s, 1923 W515s, the W551s and others....I own some because I love the way they look (remind me of comic strips) and I don't care that thr mainstream of the hobby finds them mehhhhh.

I think they are terrific examples of the varied landscape of baseball cards that existed before Goudey, Bowman, and Topps eventually came on the scene and monopolized everything. The card does not need to be iconic to be a conversation piece. A lot of these strip a cards are so unique that they don't need status to get a conversation going.

Last edited by Svabinsky78; 10-09-2023 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-10-2023, 06:13 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Those bread backs are brutal. Lucky to get one.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-20-2023, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
By the way, nice W551 of Ruth. I now really like this card of him because it seems to have a fairly accurate side view depiction of Babe early in his career, as seen with the comparison photo I provided in my previous post.

By providing this comparison photo I might have just made this card more popular...discuss.

Brian (and by discussing with others, perhaps this will flip on the switch in your brain, the "I'm keeping this Ruth card because maybe, after all, it is interesting" switch)

I came across what I think is the template photo for the W551:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruth Profile.jpg (33.6 KB, 162 views)
Old 11-21-2023, 12:30 AM

Here is a side by side to compare. I think the angle is a little off, the cap is riding higher on the head and tilted, and the Babe is displaying a little bit more nostril (don't we all in some pictures) than what is seen on the card. Still in my eyes bolsters the idea that the W551 depiction of Ruth, whether or not suited to everyone's artistic sensibilities, captures a little bit of that Babe mystique.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruth Profile.jpg (49.6 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg w551ruth.jpg (110.7 KB, 153 views)
Old 11-23-2023, 09:02 AM
Jack Richards

Default W551

My framed W551 strip, which I have argued to my wife is actually art, not a “card,” and therefore exempt from the Card Budget. She’s not buying it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9308.jpg (189.7 KB, 81 views)