NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Baseball Memorabilia B/S/T

Old 08-05-2016, 04:48 PM

Default 1907 to 1922 Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox Items

Here is a group of items that belonged to a Chicago sportswriter. See scans for condition and they have evidence of scrapbook removal.

1907 Chicago Cubs Partial Envelope
Piece of envelope cut out showing Cubs Logo indicated as 1906 Champions. Although you cannot make out the final year on the postmark after “190”, I am fairly confident this is from 1907 because I have seen other Cub logos that show the championship years of 1907 and 1908 made after they won pennant. Therefore if this was made after 1907 it would likely show those years. Letter was addressed to the sportswriter. **SOLD**

1908 Chicago White Sox Opening Day Ribbon
All the other items on the scrapbook page this ribbon was on dated from 1907 to 1908 so I believe this ribbon is from one of those two years. The Inter City B.B. League reference at the bottom is likely that they were the guests to the game. I had other White Sox ribbons from this collection that were of a similar format and had different athletic clubs, sportswriters groups, etc at the bottom of the ribbon even though they were for White Sox games.

1921 Cubs Roster Page.
Not sure what this was but Johnny Evers is listed as manager and he only was manager in 1921 during the 1920s. Grover Alexander listed among the Cubs players.

1922 Chicago Cubs Meal Railroad Ticket
Has 1922 written faintly in right corner. My guess is that it was a meal coupon given out on the Sante Fe railroad upon the return from Chicago from Spring Training in California. Says Enroute to Chicago on the bottom, has Santa Fe logo and I did not look it up but I can recall Fred Harvey Dining Room advertisements in my 1920s Cubs and Bears programs. **SOLD**

Last edited by patricka; 08-17-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:51 PM
Mike Kendall

When I saw the logo on the partial envelope I knew it looked familiar. I then remembered the Cubs made a pin for the 1906 Championship. They did add the word "Cubs", but otherwise the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (11.4 KB, 141 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 08-07-2016, 09:56 PM
William Peebles

Default 1907 to 1922 Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox Items

This is recalled off the top of my head from a bit of research a few years ago. Please excuse the shorthand as the dates and timing of the series are foggy in my memory.

The quick story is the Cubs and White Sox used to play each other in an exhibition series to crown a "Champion of Chicago". The Cubs won in 1905 and were reigning champions for the 1906 season. Hence the pin and the stationary. It has nothing to do with the World Series or League championships, just the city, and primarily for bragging rights.

True bragging rights for 1906 belonged to the White Sox who went on to win the World Series by defeating the Cubs in 1906. That victory gave the White Sox claim to "world champions" for the 1907 season.

http://www.huntingtonbaseballco.com

Last edited by william_9; 08-07-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:43 PM

My mistake, you are correct. I looked at the logos I was initially recalling from the top of my head and yes they used "Chicago Champions" to indicate the city series where as they used "World Champions" for the world series wins.