NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: The making of - "Handbook To US Early Candy and Gum Cards" - Egan, 1969

I'd love to see the E90-1 discussions.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhans View Post
I'd love to see the E90-1 discussions.
The end of the personal correspondence is almost here. I think there might be 1-2 more letters. After that I will take requests to see other information in this prototype book. We need to remember the more that was known about a set at the time this was done, the less new info there will be. I think there are some pages on E90-1 that probably didn't make the final cut so those would be things not seen before.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Clayton

These letters are amazing, thanks again for posting them Leon.

Regarding the letter in post#21- He talks about being suspicious about the second D-327 Wambsganss card. Does anyone know what he is suspicious about regarding this "second" Wambsganss card?

In the same letter it's also intersting that he wanted to throw all the unnumbered W-501's into the W-575's. I'm amazed at how much detailed knowledge these collectors had back in a day with none of the modern technology that we have today. How did they keep up with all of these issues? Major dedication........

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 12-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

It's hard enough figuring out E and W cards even with modern technology. The original compilers amaze me, especially the ones who did before photocopying became commonplace.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
It's hard enough figuring out E and W cards even with modern technology. The original compilers amaze me, especially the ones who did before photocopying became commonplace.
+1
Old 12-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default A fitting end to the thread

There are quite a few handwritten notes left that have not been posted but most are merely check-listing and giving minute idiosyncrasies to each of the caramel sets. Posted here is what Egan and his cohorts hoped to do with this Handbook, which was to literally renumber the American Card Catalog "E" sports candy cards and separate them from the rest. Since we are still using the American Card Catalog numbering it seems as though this herculean effort, while it was a great accomplishment in check-listing the series', did not accomplish what it was intended to. If there are specific requests to see detailed info on the sets I will be glad to post those pages or answer questions where the Handbook is concerned. We will eventually put this thread in the Ne54 Forum Archive Center (upper right icon) so it is here permanently for reference. I am including a list of contributors to this handbook which was at the back of the Handbook. I know we have at least one board member from this list who still posts. best regards

Last edited by Leon; 12-27-2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: gramma'
Old 12-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Barry Arnold

Default handbook

I see Steve Mitchell's name on the list and must say that I'm pleased.
He's a prince of a fellow and one of the great gentlemen in the history of the hobby. His serving as editor of one of the hobby's early periodicals was a remarkable achievement. I believe I remember seeing Barker,Nagy, a precocious Olberman, and a number of others with brief articles or comments.
And the name of that hobby publication is:::::

best,
barry