NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-22-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
A lot of us plan on being around for the next 30-40 years minimum so when exactly were you thinking? On that note, has there ever been an age demographic poll on Net54? I can't remember ever seeing one in my 5 or so years on the board. That might be interesting
You can plan all you want. The fact is there are many 60 plus collectors, boomers if you will, who won't be around. I will turn 60 in 2045. If my parents are around they'll be nearly 100, as will the rest of their generation. Collections will be long gone by that point. And that's when you'll need this tech kid to buy your cards.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:34 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
You’re just spewing blab
If you ain’t got the slab.
Doo wa Doo wa Doo wa
You're correct Frank, it's all about the slab. It's the single most important innovation to our hobby since its popularity grew in the 1970's.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:37 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
You can plan all you want. The fact is there are many 60 plus collectors, boomers if you will, who won't be around. I will turn 60 in 2045. If my parents are around they'll be nearly 100, as will the rest of their generation. Collections will be long gone by that point. And that's when you'll need this tech kid to buy your cards.
I won't need the tech kid. All my key pre-war cards (Cobb, Wagner, Ruth, etc.) are in the VG range and all my mid-50's star RC's are in mid-grade 5-6 range. All I need is two guys who'd like to own a nice presentable piece of history. I'm pretty sure they'll be around, and this is coming from a 43-year old guy who doesn't even watch modern baseball
Old 02-22-2018, 09:40 AM

I sincerely hope you're right. I have a stake in that future too. I'm just more pessimistic.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:42 AM

Default Sandlot

Smalls: I was gonna put the ball back.

Squints: But it was signed by Babe Ruth!

Smalls: Yeah, you keep telling me that! Who is she?

Ham Porter: WHAT? WHAT?

Kenny: The sultan of swat!

Bertram: The king of crash!

Timmy: The colossus of clout!

Tommy: The colossus of clout!

All: BABE RUTH!

Ham Porter: THE GREAT BAMBINO!

Smalls: Oh my god! You mean that's the same guy?

All: YES!

Benny Rodriguez: Smalls, Babe Ruth is the greatest baseball player that ever lived. People say he was less than a god but more than a man. You know, like Hercules or something. That ball you just aced to The Beast is worth, well, more than your whole life.

Smalls: [Falls to the ground and clutches his stomach, groaning] I don't feel so good.

All: [Fanning Scott with their caps] Give him air, give him air.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:54 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
I won't need the tech kid. All my key pre-war cards (Cobb, Wagner, Ruth, etc.) are in the VG range and all my mid-50's star RC's are in mid-grade 5-6 range. All I need is two guys who'd like to own a nice presentable piece of history. I'm pretty sure they'll be around, and this is coming from a 43-year old guy who doesn't even watch modern baseball
me too!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I sincerely hope you're right. I have a stake in that future too. I'm just more pessimistic.
If this bothers you so much, maybe you should sell your collection and enjoy your life. Or buy art. For me, I enjoy cards. I have had far more ups than downs. I try to learn from my mistakes. I am content with how I am collecting. If I wasn't, I would sell out. Life is too short.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
If this bothers you so much, maybe you should sell your collection and enjoy your life. Or buy art. For me, I enjoy cards. I have had far more ups than downs. I try to learn from my mistakes. I am content with how I am collecting. If I wasn't, I would sell out. Life is too short.
I have no idea where this comment comes from or what it means. This is a discussion about the future. When did I say I cared if the money dried up? I'm simply discussing what I think the future holds. My cards could fall to nothing and I'd be happy about it. I could then buy any card I want.

And for the last time, what does art have to do with baseball cards?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:17 AM
Joshua

Quote:
I have no idea where this comment comes from or what it means. This is a discussion about the future. When did I say I cared if the money dried up? I'm simply discussing what I think the future holds. My cards could fall to nothing and I'd be happy about it. I could then buy any card I want.

Please fall, I do not have enough Ty Cobbs...
Old 02-22-2018, 10:20 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanip View Post
Packs - store of value is also a utility.....I.E. gold, absolutely worthless, cant even use it for industrial reasons like a diamond, yet the shiny stuff retains value.

There's plenty of gold in high end electronics.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:20 AM
Bruce C.

I am still looking for a reasonably priced Chilly Beanie Baby for my daughter.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:36 AM

An idea was floated above that these threads get started out of fear. That sounds right. But if your hobby is making you afraid, something has gone wrong. It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun.

For my part, I don't know what the baseball card market is going to do, but I sincerely hope for a sharp drop. I'd be happy to buy Ruths and Gehrigs all day, once their prices fall enough that they cost "just for fun" money and not "double check to make sure that I can make the car payment" money.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:38 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
I'm all for that! If I don't make it to 90 I'll be very disappointed

But my point is that even if it doesn't happen all at once, and even if cards are disposed of via gifts rather than through estates, there will be a lot more of them coming into the market over a relatively predictable time period (I don't know the years but you could look at actuarial data on the US population to get a rough idea).

I'm not sure how it will play out, but I think its safe to say that most cards bequeathed in some way will end up on the market if for no other reason than the personal tastes of children and their parents are rarely in perfect alignment and selling will probably make sense to most.

Yes, though ironically the lack of "big data" from before the internet age makes it difficult for us to assess the relevance of that (for the purposes of the subject we are discussing) since there is so little to compare. If a Facebook group dedicated to vintage cards today has 500 members, since we don't know how many members a Facebook group dedicated to vintage cards would have had in (say) 1990 if Facebook had existed then, we don't know if that number suggests there are more or fewer people collecting (and the same for other information sources).

Yeah, but it takes time for these broader changes to be felt.

Oh yes, that was my mistake.

But I suppose that baseball cards are an interesting example which is quite different from stocks. Stock prices under efficient market hypothesis are supposed to reflect all known information about a stock (subject to debate about timing, insider information, etc), which mostly relates to its risk and expected future cash flows.

Baseball cards produce no cash flows, risk is harder to measure, and we pretty much already know all there is about most of them (no insider information), save for where there might be the odd attic find, but those are rare. Plus the market actors are way more irrational in the sense that most purchases are made on subjective considerations (favorite player, etc) rather than objective analysis. Plus there are no institutional investors spending time and money on analyzing the market and providing signals to other investors (instead it has fickle big shots who seem to make purchases for the same reasons small shots do - bragging rights, ability to have something they really really want, etc etc, none of which is predictable or rational). So the market definitely walks randomly, but way more so than with stocks, which I think makes it way more vulnerable to the things I was talking about in my earlier post.

Fair enough, but here is an interesting card that always gives me pause for thought about how much the market is dependent on the slightest and most irrational of whims.

As an icon of 1920s culture, Charlie Chaplin is probably about as recognizable and popular as Babe Ruth in America (and considerably more well known internationally). He is huge. This card is from the 1926 Player's Straight Line Caricatures set. Its a really striking card that captures his image perfectly and with an artistic style that is totally suitable to the era. While Ruth cards generally start in the thousands of dollars, you can find this card on Ebay usually for under $10 (in fact you can probably get the whole set it came in for under $20).

The discrepancy doesn't make much sense, the Chaplin card wasn't produced in greater numbers than most Ruth cards and he is culturally about equal. The only reason I can think of for the Chaplin card being so cheap relative to Ruth stuff is that American kids in the 50s were accustomed to seeing baseball players on cards but not movie stars (well, movie star cards existed but weren't as popular). So that association in their minds grew into the modern hobby, while movie cards never took off the same way.

But that association no longer really exists in kid's minds today. While there is a lot of path dependence at work which props up the baseball card hobby, there are so many things like this Chaplin card that are equally interesting out there (at a fraction of the price) which can compete for the attention of younger people with an interest in history. Thus my pessemistic forecast about the future of baseball card prices!

On the Chaplin card, one thing that should be considered is that different groups collect things in different ways.
With cards, the British way of collecting centers around sets rather than stars. Another major consideration is condition. There are a LOT of Players sets in great condition. It's almost harder to find well worn ones.

Those different ways of collecting come from a few places. One is that generally the sets are consistently small. Usually 50 cards. So completing a set isn't all that hard. Another is that since the majority of cards were issued with Tobacco, it became an adult hobby much sooner. So they didn't have the "mom threw my cards out" effect. Without that periodic destruction, there wasn't the focus on stars. Here when the cards were being tossed, some star cards got saved. One of the few collections I bought came to me nearly untouched, enough that I could figure out the kids ages and difference in age pretty closely. But I didn't get any of the Mantle cards they'd had since he was the kids favorite player.
Adult collectors culturally focused on set collecting don't have that at all.

Steve B
Old 02-22-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:

I have no idea where any of your posts are coming from.This thread started with the OP posting his opinion and you posting your doom and gloom vision of the hobby followed by a bunch of people disagreeing with you. Your negativity isn't going to change people's minds. Just agree to disagree.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I have no idea where any of your posts are coming from.This thread started with the OP posting his opinion and you posting your doom and gloom vision of the hobby followed by a bunch of people disagreeing with you. Your negativity isn't going to change people's minds. Just agree to disagree.
Again, I'm lost. Plenty of people brought up what the future holds for the hobby. In fact, it's a topic frequently discussed. I'm not trying to change your mind. I don't care what you do with your cards. I'm sharing my opinions because I'm a collector who has thought about these things too.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:58 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

As the thread bearer for this eclectic narrative, I was optimistic for the future of our segment of the hobby when reading that the younger generations, which sadly does not include me anymore, are into pre-war cards and are just waiting for more disposable income to enhance their collections. I hadn't realized this was the case and was gratified to learn it.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:11 AM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
You're correct Frank, it's all about the slab. It's the single most important innovation to our hobby since its popularity grew in the 1970's.
Completely agree with that Barry (Hi). I knew the hobby changed in the early 2000s when I saw a couple of dealers using two price guides. I asked them why, and one told me they buy with the SCD guide and then they sell using the SMR as how they think the card should grade.

The Blue Chip cards (broad term) should hold their value no matter what state the market is in.

A question I've always had is how many "Whale" collectors are in the hobby. Many public and private buyers out there regardless of what generation they belong to. So, when they buy a card will it ever see the market again? There are some massive collections out there. So, when money isnt the issue with the entire family, where do the collections end up?
Old 02-22-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Again, I'm lost. Plenty of people brought up what the future holds for the hobby. In fact, it's a topic frequently discussed. I'm not trying to change your mind. I don't care what you do with your cards. I'm sharing my opinions because I'm a collector who has thought about these things too.
In the second half of the 80s, multi-millionaires and billionaires entered the hobby. People who own their own companies, some who own sports teams. Dealers called them "whales." It doesn't matter that baby boomers are dying off. Your posts and negativity make no sense. This thread is about Heritage Platinum Night and the prices their auction brings. The top 1% is the primary audience for this auction, not baby boomers or your average collector. It doesn't matter if there are 5 or 5 millions average collectors, it won't change these prices at all.

Barring a complete collapse of the US economy, this dynamic is never changing. There will always be super rich. There will always be sports. The hobby will be fine. The number of people watching baseball has been on the decline over the last ~20 years. Yet still salaries continue to rise. Values of franchises continue to rise. Values of quality cards and collectibles like in Heritage will continue to rise. Your collapse is not happening.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
In the second half of the 80s, multi-millionaires and billionaires entered the hobby. People who own their own companies, some who own sports teams. Dealers called them "whales." It doesn't matter that baby boomers are dying off. Your posts and negativity make no sense. This thread is about Heritage Platinum Night and the prices their auction brings. The top 1% is the primary audience for this auction, not baby boomers or your average collector. It doesn't matter if there are 5 or 5 millions average collectors, it won't change these prices at all.

Barring a complete collapse of the US economy, this dynamic is never changing. There will always be super rich. There will always be sports. The hobby will be fine. The number of people watching baseball has been on the decline over the last ~20 years. Yet still salaries continue to rise. Values of franchises continue to rise. Values of quality cards and collectibles like in Heritage will continue to rise. Your collapse is not happening.
I think you're right. What I DO see being negatively impacted are complete set collectors. I mainly see older folks building sets but younger collectors who transition toward vintage are gravitating toward singles. A-list Hall of Famers (Mantle, Koufax, Clemente, Aaron, Mays, Williams, etc.) will be fine but mid-grade Hall of Famers will see a dip, IMO.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:37 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
I think you're right. What I DO see being negatively impacted are complete set collectors. I mainly see older folks building sets but younger collectors who transition toward vintage are gravitating toward singles. A-list Hall of Famers (Mantle, Koufax, Clemente, Aaron, Mays, Williams, etc.) will be fine but mid-grade Hall of Famers will see a dip, IMO.
I agree. I used to be a hard core set collector, NEVER collected singles. Ive had complete or partial sets of n28, n300, FC, 33/34G, 40PB, 53-59T, 48/49B, e120, e121, 14 CJs, 15 CJs, t205s and a few others. I have only my n28 set left intact...I have evolved into the single card guy...although I am working on a pc796 set so I guess it never completely dies.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:39 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I'm getting tired of this Chicken Little crap.

I've been collecting since I was a kid and odds are that my family will be opening eBay packages the day after my funeral. Last week I bought a 100+ year old card and a 2017 card. As long as there are cards to collect and I have the ability to do so, I'm in it, and I suspect that many other collectors are the same way. We don't really care whether the 'market' is stratospheric on PSA whatevers because we are passionate about collecting, not 'investing'.

This is supposed to be fun, a hobby, a pastime. If you really worry that the hobby is going to the grave with the boomers, sell your stuff and get out. If you can't handle the idea of your cards losing value, sell your stuff and get out. Then you can stop bothering the rest of us with the money anxiety that many of us really don't care about.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-22-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:49 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

I've been collecting since I was a kid and odds are that my family will be opening eBay packages the day after my funeral. Last week I bought a 100+ year old card and a 2017 card. As long as there are cards to collect and I have the ability to do so, I'm in it, and I suspect that many other collectors are the same way. We don't really care whether the 'market' is stratospheric on PSA whatevers because we are passionate about collecting, not 'investing'.

This is supposed to be fun, a hobby, a pastime. If you really worry that the hobby is going to the grave with the boomers, sell your stuff and get out. If you can't handle the idea of your cards losing value, sell your stuff and get out. Then you can stop bothering the rest of us with the money anxiety that many of us really don't care about.
So, how do you really feel Adam?

Well said sir.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:03 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:

I've been collecting since I was a kid and odds are that my family will be opening eBay packages the day after my funeral. Last week I bought a 100+ year old card and a 2017 card.
Love it!!!! Yesterday I got in an 1887 Chicago baseball currency and a 1992 Little Sun Jeter sealed team set.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:

+1
Old 02-22-2018, 12:21 PM

While not baseball card specific, pretty interesting article on collectible investment that could be a factor in the recent ascent of prices.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/c...154436529.html
Old 02-22-2018, 12:39 PM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epps View Post
While not baseball card specific, pretty interesting article on collectible investment that could be a factor in the recent ascent of prices.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/c...154436529.html

Haha, still have a few bottle of 2000 grand crus classe - its the best performer as the article says; if anyone want to trade me for vintage cards let me know...hahaha
Old 02-22-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Sometimes you gotta say WTF
Old 02-22-2018, 12:47 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:

Based on this post, I have one question:

Adam - while I do realize it's a little late in the game, but, would your family be willing to adopt me? I'm 62 and fat, but I am house-broken.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-22-2018, 12:56 PM

Gee, this thread is amazing how it blew up. People have various opinions and reasons for their opinions, thats ok. But take it easy you guys. Look, if you think the market will go up, buy more. If you think the market will go down, sell.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:16 PM
Mike Ryan

Default Collect Cards or Art?

With Dibrell Williams you can have both. Norman Rockwell couldn't have done better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WILLIAMS D 6 001.jpg (79.5 KB, 319 views)

Last edited by leaflover; 02-22-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:43 PM
MîçhćŁ ßöwŁßĄ

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanip View Post
I disagree with your opinion on the utility of cards. As stated earlier, the TPGs and online venues have increased the utility of the cards. For art, its a 1 of 1 market (sans the giglees, lithos, and other crap out there). For cards, there is more than one and a standardized grading system, so you have a baseline of what the market is. That baseline is accretive to the utility and thus value of the asset.

But hell, as others say, who cares, we are all dead eventually (and what else am I going to do in the meantime).
This is actually a myth.

There are 5 versions of Rodin's "The Thinker" all in bronze which were created under his supervision. There is also the original production plasters of the statue.

Jacques-Louis David painted 5 versions of "Napoleon at Saint-Bernard Pass" also known as "Napoleon Crossing the Alps" between 1801 and 1805. They are all about the same size at 2.6 x 2.2m. The differences are in the color of the cape and the background. All are considered originals. I saw the 1803 version at The Belvedere in Vienna, Austria in September.

There are exceptions to every rule, but people state the mantra that art is 1 of 1 when there are many cases when it is just not true.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 02-22-2018, 01:55 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
... I'll venture to say that most people collect baseball cards because they collected them as children...
People who collect Ming vases didn't collect them as a kid. People who collect rare pieces of art didn't collect that as a kid. Not so sure there is a correlation any more.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
People who collect Ming vases didn't collect them as a kid. People who collect rare pieces of art didn't collect that as a kid. Not so sure there is a correlation any more.
I don't think you're seeing the connection the right way. I collect all types of baseball memorabilia. I didn't collect RPPCs as a kid, but I do now because of my appreciation that grew out of collecting baseball cards. Saying something like "they didn't collect Ming vases as a child" totally ignores any previous appreciation of a related interest, like art, history, or heritage.

Last edited by packs; 02-22-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:11 PM
Joshua

I have to agree with packs here, I think we all collected "twice" in our lives...

That said, I get the other side of the coin, (perceived) value begets value...
Old 02-22-2018, 05:31 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

I feel like pigeonholing people under the rubric of "gen x" or "millennial" does not take into account individual tastes. The year I was born is not what defines me as an individual or a collector; my collecting gene, my love of history, and my love of baseball is what makes me collect baseball cards. We, the members of this great forum, are collectors by nature, not by choice. To say that "millenials" will not collect baseball cards seems silly. All it takes is a few thousand millenials with money to keep the hobby thriving. And being a millennial will not remove in certain individuals that innate need to collect cool stuff (which I refer to as the "collecting gene"). Nor will all millenials hate baseball or History. Human beings are too complex to box into groups by era of birth.

Last edited by orly57; 02-22-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:39 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I feel like pigeonholing people under the rubric of "gen x" or "millennial" does not take into account individual tastes. The year I was born is not what defines me as an individual or a collector; my collecting gene, my love of history, and my love of baseball is what makes me collect baseball cards. We, the members of this great forum, are collectors by nature, not by choice. To say that "millenials" will not collect baseball cards seems silly. All it takes is a few thousand millenials with money to keep the hobby thriving. And being a millennial will not remove in certain individuals that innate need to collect cool stuff that I refer to as the collecting gene. Nor will all millenials hate baseball or History. Human beings are too complex to box into groups by era of birth.
Spot on Orlando
Old 02-22-2018, 05:45 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
I don't think you're seeing the connection the right way. I collect all types of baseball memorabilia. I didn't collect RPPCs as a kid, but I do now because of my appreciation that grew out of collecting baseball cards. Saying something like "they didn't collect Ming vases as a child" totally ignores any previous appreciation of a related interest, like art, history, or heritage.
... or an interest in baseball. You can have an interest in baseball, without having collected baseball cards as a kid. Once that interest is cultivated, it's OK to then collect cards as an extension.
You can have an interest in college football without collecting college football as a kid (was there such a thing?).

I am always amused when someone doesn't agree with another, and the first leap they make is "you don't understand...", or "I don't think you're seeing the connection the right way...", like there is an obvious mental block.
For me, I just don't agree with you on the point. I think one can develop an interest later in life, without having that interest as a nine year old child. I'd hope people have evolved somewhat since they were nine.

At nine years old, I didn't like girls. I like girls now.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:46 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I feel like pigeonholing people under the rubric of "gen x" or "millennial" does not take into account individual tastes. The year I was born is not what defines me as an individual or a collector; my collecting gene, my love of history, and my love of baseball is what makes me collect baseball cards. We, the members of this great forum, are collectors by nature, not by choice. To say that "millenials" will not collect baseball cards seems silly. All it takes is a few thousand millenials with money to keep the hobby thriving. And being a millennial will not remove in certain individuals that innate need to collect cool stuff that I refer to as the collecting gene. Nor will all millenials hate baseball or History. Human beings are too complex to box into groups by era of birth.
+1 (as usual, it seems)
Old 02-22-2018, 05:50 PM
Ethan

Default Save Youself Now!

All signs are pointing to a major dry up in the card market for the unforseeable future. I am willing to try to help as many people as I am able by freeing them of any Red Sox related Ruth items that may be weighing them down financially. Please send me an email to discuss.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:11 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
I agree that cards will take a dive in price but for completely different reasons. Between shill bidding, card doctors, and counterfeiting something is going to bring this hobby down.

I would love to know the % of T206's that have had nothing done to them, bet it is pretty low number.
I see this argument from time to time on these forums and it just doesn't hold much water. I know of nearly a dozen different finds of original and extremely high-grade T206s. And I'm aware of collectors who still have large groups of high-grade, untouched T206s that have never been graded. One collector, in particular, has nearly 1000 of them that would fetch grades in the 7 to 9 range. Another hobbyist has a nearly complete T206 set that is also high grade and 100% original.

T206s were not produced in small quantities and some of them have survived the test of time quite well. With the exception of one or two pedigrees, the vast majority of high-grade T206s encapsulated by the major grading services are 100% legit. I've seen where they come from.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:23 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

As long as the institution of sports exists, in this case, that of baseball, those items related to it, will have value to collectors.

Prices may fluctuate from time to time and some cards, particularly those that are modern that have manufactured scarcity, may lose a great deal of their value. Vintage cards and memorabilia, however, will always have a following. They are intrinsically linked to the sport of baseball itself, as modern players who excel will always be compared to and measured against the all-time greats of the game.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:43 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
. If you want to sell your Wagner, 52 Mantle, Ruth's, Cobb's, etc. I don't see the problem. If you are looking for someone to sell your 1985-1994 sets to, I don't think that is going to go well for you.
they key is the 'etc'....what cards exactly are the blue chips...after 3 or 4 cards..there will be disagreements and someone could take a big killing as that card could join the 99.9% of the other cards that will likely go down a ton in re-sell value besides the Wagner, Ruth, ETC...
Old 02-22-2018, 06:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
The slab don't mean zip
If it ain't got that flip

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:59 PM
Ethan

Buy the best of the best and see an up-side and some financial gain in the long run...or...collect what you like, maybe see some financial gain and be happy in the long run. We're talking baseball cards here folks...America's Hobby...let's not make it only about the money. I've put some hard earned work dollars in to some pieces that I hope will appreciate in my lifetime or in my sons lifetime, but my 1988 ungraded Ken Griffey Jr. Vermont Mariners Minor League card is the only one on the mantle.

Last edited by LincolnVT; 02-22-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:14 PM
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnVT View Post
Buy the best of the best and see an up-side and some financial gain in the long run...or...collect what you like, maybe see some financial gain and be happy in the long run. We're talking baseball cards here folks...America's Hobby...let's not make it only about the money. I've put some hard earned work dollars in to some pieces that I hope will appreciate in my lifetime or in my sons lifetime, but my 1988 ungraded Ken Griffey Jr. Vermont Mariners Minor League card is the only one on the mantle.
PS -- This was an invitation to pick a debate with me about my choice to collect and financially invest in baseball cards.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:35 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnVT View Post
PS -- This was an invitation to pick a debate with me about my choice to collect and financially invest in baseball cards.
OK, I'll bite

Or actually I guess I can't argue since I agree with what you said. I have two kids (both too young to collect, maybe someday but I'm not going to push them into it) and a collection that is worth something but I'm not a blue chip guy or anything like that. I collect what I like rather than what I think will be worth something in the future (partly since I'm pessimistic about the market's future if I viewed it solely as an investment I wouldn't buy anything). I definitely don't view my collection as a serious investment for my kids.

I kind of view the money I spend on cards as being flushed down the toilet, and if in the future they have some residual value then great, it'll feel like I found a bunch of money. I'll either give them to my kids (if they want them) or sell them and divvy up the cash.

My concern now actually is that I have this collection which would easily fetch a decent sum if auctioned on ebay, but nobody else in my family knows what its worth and if I die in an accident or something my wife would probably get ripped off (or at least get a horrible deal) in selling them. This reminds me that I should do something about that.....

Last edited by seanofjapan; 02-22-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:53 PM
Matt

Quote:

Blam.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:10 PM
Jason B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Or collect what you enjoy, with funds your family will not need...
This, exactly this.

It's kind of titillating to speculate on the future of the hobby, sure.
I'm sure that's why we're all reading this thread. A bit of drama is always... well, dramatic.

Sure there are demographic trends galore out there, and who knows how they'll turn out to affect the hobby for better or worse.
But as many have said, I also have the collecting gene, as I'm sure nearly everyone on this board does. The urge to collect won't go away no matter the generation, although we can't predict what the focus of that collecting will be.

We have an amazing hobby with a great history, and I hope it thrives. As others have also said, my personal mantra is to only spend funds on cards that are not otherwise needed. There's really no anxiety with that approach, just the thrill of the hunt.

Would I be disappointed if I woke up tomorrow and my collection wasn't really worth anything? -- yes. Would I regret having collected? -- no flipping way.
Honestly my biggest beef with our currently healthy market is that I'd like to buy a nice T206 Bat Off Cobb in midgrade and it will now cost me another 50% more because I dilly-dallied over the past few years...
WTB: '15 CJ Wagner & WaJo (PSA 2-3) | '33 Sport Kings Babe Ruth (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)
Old 02-23-2018, 08:35 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Collectors should generally be comfortable with the value in their collection, whatever the circumstances might be. If you feel you have too much tied up in it it is easy to right-size it. It is way more fun when it isn't financially burdening, not that any of us would ever do that.

To reiterate others, I don't think baseball card collecting will die off in any of our lifetimes. That said there are fewer and fewer 50s-70s Topps set collectors, just starting sets, and there is an overabundance of those cards in low to mid grade. If I had millions of those I might be a little concerned.

Last edited by Leon; 02-23-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:21 AM
Tony Conte

Default Very true

Quote:
To reiterate others, I don't think baseball card collecting will die off in any of our lifetimes. That said there are fewer and fewer 50s-70s Topps set collectors, just starting sets, and there is an overabundance of those cards in low to mid grade. If I had millions of those I might be a little concerned.
I agree with Leon's comment. I even think this is true for higher grade cards
from the 50s to 70s that are commons or mid level players. I would definitely
care if I had money I needed down the line tied up in commons.