NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-16-2007, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Default Introducing myself

Posted By: Marc Del Percio

Hello to all. I have followed your board for quite awhile and figured it was finally time to get involved. A bit about myself...I am 29 years old, have been collecting sports cards since I was a very small child. Though I still enjoy some of the new products, I have been mostly concentrating on pre-war baseball for the past five years or so. I guess I am something of a combination set collector and type collector. I just love cards and try to accumulate as many as I can. Honestly, I prefer quantity over quality and therefore look for lower grade but still presentable cards. I have been very active both buying and selling (cards and MANY other things) on eBay for about eight years and I'm sure I have dealt with many of you before. Anyway, thanks to all of you for continuing to provide a wealth of knowledge and interesting discussions. I look forward to becoming a small part of that.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I look forward to your posts.

enjoy.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RayB

Welcome aboard Marc. Keep it about the cards and enjoy it. That's where the Boards are most rewarding, and dismiss the rest.
Tell us a little more about what you collect.
I would love to hear about it.
RayB

Old 01-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc Del Percio

Thanks Ray. Right now, I am about 20 cards short of a fully complete T205 set, more than halfway to a T206 set (I have a Magie and Demmitt StL). Also a big fan of the T207 set. I think it is wildly undervalued and despite what many people think, I really like the design. I would go so far as to say that it is one of the top 5 most artistically interesting sets ever produced. I have a handful of T201, T202, T204 (also undervalued). Also working on a Lections set as well as Scrapps. Too many other singles to mention. What usually ends up happening is that I will buy a card from a set that I have none of, like it a lot, and then decide that I MUST complete the set. Good strategy, huh

Old 01-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Anyone who loves the T207 set is all right in my book, welcome aboard Marc

Old 01-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Welcome Marc.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Marc,

You've picked a challenging set to collect. Glad to have you on board.

Peter

Old 01-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

Hello Marc, Welcome to the funny farm.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

It's nice to read that someone enjoys collecting this stuff in all conditions. I'm with you, I'll take a beater anyday than not take it because it's bent in three places, has a corner missing and half the back scraped off... ok, maybe I wouldn't exactly take that card (unless it was a T206 Hans Wagner, but not from ebay). Welcome!

Old 01-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim James

Welcome to the "wingnuts" ,please disregard the wiring thread !
Please feel free to ask about framing and home decorating tips !!

Old 01-17-2007, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Hornish

Welcome-I am a newbie myself and also quite fond of T207. I think the images really pop with the brown background. If you get half the welcome I got, you'll be in great shape!

Old 01-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

David,

First lesson about posting in threads... don't hijack someone elses "Introducing myself" thread to introduce yourself! Newbies... hmmm... Just Kidding... the more the merrier... Welcome aboard also Mr. Thread Thief!

Old 01-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc

Thanks to all for the warm welcomes. I'm not really sure why the T207 set has gotten such a bad reputation. Sure, I understand the lack of HOF's and I realize the umm...earth tones are not everyone's favorite color scheme. But the set is near impossible to complete, looks really like no other, has plenty of high dollar cards and (this one is big with me), tells a bit about the player on the back. Other than the T205 and Cracker Jack sets, I'm not aware of many other major pre-war sets that feature player info like that. To me that is a very attractive feature as I tend to actually realize that this is a real PERSON described and pictured on the card rather than just a random image of a "baseball player" (E91 anybody?). Just more of a connection to the game I suppose.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Denny

"Wow Marc", why did ya wait so long to chime in? It's pretty evident that your writings will be of a grand nature to the 54! Welcome aboard!
See ya Roundin' 3rd,
Denny Walsh

Old 01-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

Welcome Marc,

I too am a collector of cards in presentable condition--I much rather have 4 Cobb T206's in vg than one in Ex-MT+....I think the best value is the vg-ex raw arena, more for your money if you can be assured that they are authentic.

I like T207's as well, they do get ignored by most. You can't beat some of the images e.g. Tinker and Carey. On the other hand what's up with the Walter Johnson? That card is straight from E91.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Welcome aboard Marc. About 9-10 years ago when I bought my first "expensive at the time" card of Cobb-E102, I asked John Spencer, the originator of this boards predecessor, the very question. Should I collect quality (higher grade) or quantity? I chose quantity and am very happy. I always like a variety of things so type collecting has done well for me. The high grade collectors are fine too but for pre-war stuff if you only collect very high grade, and aren't made of money, then you will have a rather small collection.....Good luck and if I can ever help you don't hesitate to email....best regards

Old 01-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc

Yeah Darren, I totally agree with you on the Walter Johnson. That was actually the first T207 I ever bought. My theory is that he was so intimidating to opposing batters, they signed a petition requesting that the American Tobacco Company give him some nice pastel colored blush and lip gloss on his card in a futile attempt to take away some of his mojo

Thanks for the welcome Leon...with that I guess I am an "official" member now! Yes, I collect with the goal of, well...collecting. I'm not in it to make money or really even to accumulate value. I just enjoy the chase of working on completing a set and having some interesting items to look at. A PSA 8 honestly doesn't thrill me any more than a solid PSA 3 although I certainly can appreciate collectors with the resources and patience to pursue those gems. Just not for me.