NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-13-2003, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Default Anyone know the relative rarity of E-98's?

Posted By: Dan Mathewson 

I just saw this on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2709399143&category=31719

I'm just curious about a few things. At the time of this posting, there are still 2.5 days left and the bid is up to $81.00, even with all the damage to the card. Are these pretty rare? I have one myself, in relatively nice condition at grade-5, and it's the only other one I recall seeing up for auction, now that I think about it. (Remember, I'm talking ONLY about Matty cards...LOL)

Also, mine has a vibrant Red background. This one looks orange. Are there different colored backgrounds of this card? How many? Or, is this a color error, or maybe fading over time? This one's color is really quite different from the vibrant Red that my card shows.

I also notice a common chipping of the color on the edges, like you'll see on T205's and M116's -- not necessarily "wear" but chipping, even ever so slightly. I notice where that characteristic is common with a few types of cards, but not with others. For example, I have an M116 (pastel back), that has slight chipping of the color off a corner, but the corner is still razor sharp even under magnification. The blue back also exhibits some chipping, but has a little bit of corner wear, where the pastel has virtually no corner wear but slight chipping on one corner.

Comments?

-dan

Old 02-13-2003, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Williams

Pete's done a nice job for us...check this out:

http://www.caramel-cards.com/e98.html

Take care all!

Old 02-13-2003, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenny Cole

I am by no means an expert on this set, but it is my understanding that they come with four different background colors: red, orange, blue and green. I don't know if it has been confirmed that every player in the set comes with every color background, but that is my assumption. They are moderately difficult as compared to some of the other caramel issues. For more (and probably better) information, look at www.caramel-cards.com. It contains an excellent discussion of most caramel sets.

Old 02-13-2003, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I have an e93 Matty in similar condition with the type of chipping that you are wondering about. I got the card for $85, so $81 at this point doesn't seem to be out of line with what I paid, but I got mine almost a year ago.

Jay

Old 02-13-2003, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Damm! That is a VERY COOL site. Thanks for posting that link, Mike. I don't know how I missed it.

And, thanks for creating this site, Pete. Damm cool!

<--- Very Happy Face.

Old 02-13-2003, 11:44 AM
Administrator

LOL... This has been fun and distressing. Fun to see the complete info (and gallery!); distressing to see that I must now find three more cards (blue, green, orange) in this set.

What is that I hear?

Oh, it's my checkbook weeping...

Old 02-13-2003, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Interesting. So the E-93 does that too, huh? I'll have to go back and look at mine more closely and see if I can notice that chipping. I'm really curious as to what contributes to that...

...what is the type of ink on the E-98's, 93's and M116's (and any others) that did it? Or, the type of cardstock they were printed on, perhaps it discouraged long-term bonding/absorbing into the cardstock that made the ink flake off later? The T205's display that, too, and I always thought it was more due to the gold ink they used on the borders...

Old 02-13-2003, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

my guess is that since the chipping is relagated to the front of the card that there was a different type of paper used so that picture would appear more colorful and vibrant.

Jay

Old 02-13-2003, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

This is the second time I've been referred to Pete's website, and, although it's full of information, WHERE ARE THE PICTURES? I can't find them.

Thanks from less intelligent life form.

Old 02-13-2003, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Click on category 'the cards', choose a set, and scroll down to the bottom of the page and click 'open x gallery'.

Old 02-13-2003, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

To Mike Williams,
Thanks for the wab site plug. I'm working on updating it.

To Dan,
Glad you liked the site. E98s do come in the 4 colors mentioned in a previous thread - red, blue, green and orange. I own, have owned, or have seen all 4 color Matty cards so I can confirm that Matty does in fact exist with each background. Compared to other E98s I can't say Matty is harder to find then other players but that card is VERY popular and regardless of the condition always sells well.

To Julie,
On each page that discusses a particular set - towards the bottom you will find a text link that says "E(whatever) gallery". Click on that to view card images. Click on the small images to see larger versions.

Old 02-14-2003, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Verrill

Just my take:

I feel that E98s are largely undervalued, both in monetary terms, and in their signifigant presence as one of the more artisticly appealling among E cards.

My perception is that, as with many E cards, they aren't horribly difficult to turn up - if you don't mind a card that is hammered. Finding these in better condition can be an arduous task. Of course, the same can be said about many other type cards, as well.

Personally, I have purchased a number of E98s in the last few months, as their appeal continues to draw me in. This is from a guy that collects rare-backed T cards almost exclusively.

E93, E95, E96, E97, and E98s all have a similar artistic approach in both the design mechanics, and use of bold colors, in the absence of shadowing, light, and defined backgrounds to emphasize "a contrast". I have always loved that concept: you don't always have to draw an object to suggest it is present (e.g., the sharp transition from one strong color to another, instead of just "drawing an outline" to suggest a border).

James Verrill
Masstercards