NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-27-2013, 08:19 PM
Graig Kreindler

Default An annoying eBayer...

Hey guys,

I know that they're some people (or maybe just one) who knows some folks on eBay that take care of problematic listings. I was wondering whether anyone knew if this contact took care of copyright infringement?

This auction just recently came up:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Babe-Ruth-19...-/171087755541

It's not the first time people have taken scans and made prints to sell, but man, it's just really annoying. I think I find it extra obnoxious that the seller put HIS own watermark on the image. Very classy.

Anywho, can anyone steer me in a good direction to have this taken care of? I know that VeRO takes care of intellectual property issues, but I don't know how quick they are about it. So, before I put in any paperwork to them, I figured I'd ask around here.

Thanks, everyone!

Graig
Old 07-27-2013, 08:37 PM
J@son M1ller

I don't have any advice for you but that sucks. Sorry to see your hard work being exploited for another person's gain. Not to mention the person that owns or will own the painting feeling that it is being stolen from them as well.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:41 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

My favorite line in the write-up: "Most of our older photos are printed directly from 35mm slides." Yeah, right.

I really hope that somebody that knows somebody can get this taken off. Ripping off Graig's hard work is bad enough, but then to only be charging $3.50 for it? Shameful! (and I say that with all seriousness, as I've heard what Graig has gone through in pursuing the correct channels for selling prints of his pieces, and they would have to be priced MUCH higher than that just to break even)
Old 07-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Banned

first you maybe just want to contact the seller and tell him it is your work and to stop selling it and that you will be checking the listings in the future to make sure. that sometimes works. an ebay seller once used a boxing image that my friend owned the rights to and i asked and he took it down, but first he gave me that old "it was on google images so its free to use, you should have had it blocked from google images if you didn't want it used!" which is total b.s.

anyway, he did pull it down and started using a different image that wasnt the image my friend owned the rights to so we were square but people think they have license to use whatever they want. a friendly message might do to start, then if they don't pull it, then a stern one, then get ebay involved. that would be my advice.

Last edited by travrosty; 07-27-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:07 PM
James Wymer

For all it is worth I really like the painting a ton!!!!
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 07-27-2013, 09:09 PM

I would call a lawyer... Don't bother getting it removed, make them pay you for what they have done...
Old 07-27-2013, 09:55 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Hey guys,

I know that they're some people (or maybe just one) who knows some folks on eBay that take care of problematic listings. I was wondering whether anyone knew if this contact took care of copyright infringement?

This auction just recently came up:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Babe-Ruth-19...-/171087755541

It's not the first time people have taken scans and made prints to sell, but man, it's just really annoying. I think I find it extra obnoxious that the seller put HIS own watermark on the image. Very classy.

Anywho, can anyone steer me in a good direction to have this taken care of? I know that VeRO takes care of intellectual property issues, but I don't know how quick they are about it. So, before I put in any paperwork to them, I figured I'd ask around here.

Thanks, everyone!

Graig
I thought it was bad when ebayers were stealing images from my collection and selling them. This here is criminal.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Hi Graig,

The long and short of it, which most of the posters missed, is that this is copyright infringement and it violates ebay policy.

'Listings may be removed if they offer an item or contain material that infringes on the intellectual property rights of others.

Examples include:
•Items that bear the rights owner's trademark (such as a logo on a designer purse), but may not be authentic products
•Unauthorized recordings or copies of audio, video, or other media
Items that infringe on the intellectual property rights of others are usually reported by the rights owner, who must be a VeRO participant. To contact the rights owner, use the email address that was included in the email we sent you.
'

Easily found on ebay by going to the site map. Links on the bottom of the page. This is a starting point to protect your rights.

Regards,

Michael B
Old 07-27-2013, 10:58 PM

Oops. Double-post.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 07-27-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:59 PM

So, Graig. That's how you make your paintings so lifelike. You just colorize old photos.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:00 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thank you for all of your quick answers, everyone. I really appreciate the encouragement and good thoughts.

This kinda stuff happens I guess, but I guess that's the price of putting images on the Internet. My agent has been after me to put watermarks on them, but to be honest, I just can't stand that idea. I feel like watermarks get in the way of everything, which I guess is the point - but I think it's worth it to let people see the whole thing.

Either way, I'll figure something out here. But again, thank you for all of the help!

Graig
Old 07-27-2013, 11:15 PM
Max Weder

Graig

Jennifer had the same problem. I'll see if I can dig out the form and link tomorrow for you. eBay was very good about shutting them down after the form was submitted

Max

Last edited by baseballart; 07-27-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:50 AM
James C
Dennis Choraz.yczewski

You could post your images online with a personal/company watermark to prevent sellers from lifting the image.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Max Weder

Grain

Here's the link

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/vero-rights-owner.html
Old 07-28-2013, 08:02 AM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks a lot, everybody. Fo' serious.

Max, I'm sure Jennifer must cringe when this happens to her. Definitely a discovery that's my least favorite part of any given day.

Graig
Old 07-28-2013, 08:32 AM
Al

Default listing

Looks like the listing has been taken down!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 07-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Don't know if you do this already but you may want to explore copyright registration of your works. Without registration your copyright is valid but you won't be able to sue on it [17 USC §501(a)]. For visual arts, there is a right to protect your work independent of copyright [17 USC §106A] but the copyright statute [17 USC §411] has the real damages teeth in it. If you register the work you can elect statutory damages--no need to prove actual losses, which might be minimal given the scale of this a-hole's activities--plus attorneys' fees and costs.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Max Weder

Quote:
Thanks a lot, everybody. Fo' serious.

Max, I'm sure Jennifer must cringe when this happens to her. Definitely a discovery that's my least favorite part of any given day.

Graig
Graig

The worst thing was that they lifted a low res scan that had the "r" cut off at the end. So only "Ettinge" got the free publicity😊
Old 07-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Your work is amazing Graig! I had my wife convinced your pieces were re-colored photographs. Is there a site you can direct me to where I can view and purchase prints? I'd love an original piece but I chose to work in the public school system...dumb choice I know, lol! Good luck resolving this ebay issue.

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 07-28-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:06 PM
Jim M.arinari

Ended because of "an error in the listing".

I received no answer from my question:

Dear easyonlineselling,

Hi,
I was wondering if you knew where this image was originally from?
Thanks!
- elpresidente
Old 08-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Belltown Vintage

Sorry you had to go through this. Some people are just missing the ethics gene.

was hoping to meet you at the National. If not, perhaps next year
Old 08-01-2013, 08:47 PM

So get this.... maybe someone can explain how this happened to me....I have an actual camera shot of Babe Ruth leaning against a picket fence at the Ray Doan baseball camp, with a few boys in front holding baseballs trying to get autographs and a man in a top hat climbed to the top of the fence leaning down towards Babe.....anyway, original in hand purchased directly from the FAMILY who took it to the auction house (I had the pleasure of speaking to them and it had always remained in the family up to the point of auction) and they were the ones that had it developed right... well i found 8x10 copies of it selling out of NEW YORK (i am from iowa and bought this in wisconsin)...it is the EXACT SHOT, exact angle, exact position of the man leaning on the fence etc etc....100% same pic. that remained in family possession throughout all the years that somehow someone in New York had copies made and sold them for 9.95 on ebay.... any idea how the heck this happened?

i emailed the seller - they didnt respond first time - i tried again saying i am not mad or whatever - they said they bought it at a road side shop in new york - of course!

my only other thought on it was that whoever developed it kept a shot for themself...

Last edited by bwild22; 08-02-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:30 AM
Kevin R

I am not sure if many people realize how many people with access to high quality print equipment will bastardize an image for RP photos to sell on ebay.

I once had a premier lot of genuine rear stamped AP photos from world wide news and almost everyone of them was all over ebay in RP form which at best dampens and at worst destroys the market for a genuine vintage photo.

With the growing popularity of image search it is the kind thing that will continue to get worse before it gets better.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:55 AM

makes sense, they did have a few shots of mine on the auction website - although a small local auction they still had pictures of the babe ruth lot - including the pics, auto, poster, etc.... never really thought of it, but i bet thats how it was obtained!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:44 AM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks so much for all of your comments, everyone. I really appreciate the well-wishes and offers for help.

Luckily, the listing was taken down soon after the thread started, and I know that it had to be because of a combined effort from you Net54ers. So, seriously, you rule. Thank you.

I think in the end, it's an issue that I don't want to solve with a watermark. I know that it's probably the best way to have an eBay seller stay away from an image, but there's just something about having them that annoys me. Even if it's subtle, it just ends up being something I can't ignore while looking at artwork.

So in the end, I suppose I'll just have to suck it up and deal with it if it continues to happen. Or write out a form letter from a nasty fictitious lawyer.

Either way, thanks again, everyone!

Graig
Old 08-06-2013, 07:58 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
So in the end, I suppose I'll just have to suck it up and deal with it if it continues to happen. Or write out a form letter from a nasty fictitious lawyer.
Don't we have enough real nasty lawyers on the board already? Now you're making up new ones too?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pPd67CEL54E

Seriously though, I'm glad it worked out, and kudos on your stance on watermarks as well. It seems to me to be a shame to spend so much time and energy getting every little detail just right, and then slap some big rubber-stamped thing in the middle of it just so some yahoo doesn't try to make a quick buck off it. I know it's a tough call either way, but I personally think you're making the right choice, even if it does mean bringing another lawyer into the world (and a beautifully-rendered one at that, I'm sure ).
Old 08-06-2013, 07:04 PM
David McDonald

Graig: Next time someone tries to rip off your work just find out what he looks like and then paint a picture of him wearing pink panties and a brassiere and post it on 54. That ought to fix him.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Thanks so much for all of your comments, everyone. I really appreciate the well-wishes and offers for help.

Luckily, the listing was taken down soon after the thread started, and I know that it had to be because of a combined effort from you Net54ers. So, seriously, you rule. Thank you.

I think in the end, it's an issue that I don't want to solve with a watermark. I know that it's probably the best way to have an eBay seller stay away from an image, but there's just something about having them that annoys me. Even if it's subtle, it just ends up being something I can't ignore while looking at artwork.

Either way, thanks again, everyone!

Graig
When I was doing some web page construction (a LOOOOONG time ago), I seem to remember a method to prevent the copying of something on the page. I'm sure the technology has come a long way since then. Maybe your webmaster may have the answer? If nothing else, drop the dpi so it is not as easily reproduced?
Old 08-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Chris Wassmuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Graig: Next time someone tries to rip off your work just find out what he looks like and then paint a picture of him wearing pink panties and a brassiere and post it on 54. That ought to fix him.
HAHAHAHAHA! That'd be hilarious!
Old 08-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Kirk

Hi, I am new to the forum but love this place... Your art is awesome! I have a small art publishing company and have had this issue come up fro time to time. Sounds like you already resolved it this time, but PM me and i might be able to help with some of the things that have worked for me - for future jerks. Thanks
Kirk
Old 08-08-2013, 03:06 PM

Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
I just fell out of my chair...SO funny Kawika!
Old 08-08-2013, 06:02 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Graig,

It sucks that this happened. Hopefully it is resolved soon. That dirtbag needs to pay for that theft!
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123

Last edited by jgmp123; 08-08-2013 at 06:10 PM.