NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Should Show Promoters Include Clauses That Prevent Dealers From Working Other Shows?
Yes 13 6.50%
No 162 81.00%
I don't Care 25 12.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

It's sad to see what's happening at the Philly show. At one time this was the best show on the East Coast.
I hope the promoters can wake up and make things easier for the dealers to work the show.
The Oaks show is a nice show but they don't schedule enough shows in PA during the year.
I guess they feel that the autograph guests bring in more money than the card dealers. Can't see paying $199 for an autograph.

See you guys at the next Oaks show.

Speaking of Oaks, has CSA come out with their 2012 schedule yet?

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 12-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Just checked the signers and there's a ton, so apparently they are moving the show to an autograph show
moreso then a card show.

Well if that's the case, there should be no inherent conflict with the Oaks show.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Jeff

"This town's only big enough for one of us."

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-04-2011, 06:58 AM
Rich Klein

Default wow 40 years later

And nothing has changed in Philly.

Circa 1982, Frank Garo of GS Gallery actually went head to head with Bob Schmeier (sic) on the same weekend. I think his first autograph guest was Joe DiMaggio,

IIRC, Needless to say after that weekend, bob and the promoters of the other big shows in the area sent out a letter saying if you do the Garo show, you can not do our show. The WIllow Grove show was so good in those days that if you left, 10 people were ready to take your place. Thus, the letter did work.

Today, I would not do anything to scare off any paying dealers. There are just not as many out there as before. To me, for Hunt Auctions thiat is the equivalent of ssaying, if you cosign to any other auctions, you can not cosign to us.

Regards
Rich
Old 12-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Bobw

Default Willow Grove

I started setting up the Philly Show back in 1984 in the George Washington Motor Lodge and I remember back in the late 1980s there was a fellow by the name of Jack Land who tried to run a show in the same Willow Grove George Washington Motor Lodge as Bob Schmierer, who ran the Philly Show. I believe he had Barry Bonds as one of the signers. To confuse people even more, this fellow also got a PO Box in the exact same Maple Glen , PA post office that Bob had a box in. We got the word , Don't even think about doing that show. Like Rich said previously, he had the waiting list for tables and he had absolute power.....I miss those days.

PS.. I held out hope for the Philly Show but I stopped doing it a year and half ago . Between the huge rise in table costs, horrendous loading in and out situation and the lack of seeing familiar faces and customers, I had to give it up.