NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-01-2005, 01:37 AM
Administrator

Default Say It Ain't So Joe and SCD

Posted By: Robert Plancich

The Joe DiMaggio "streak" bat that sold for $350,495.00 was not only owned by Dave Bushing and Dan Knoll it was also authenticted by them and their new employer - SCD Authentic. The price was the second highest price ever paid for a bat, second only to the Jackson Black Betsy which sold for over $500,000.00. The DiMaggio "streak" bat was sold in MastroNet's April 2004 auction which also set a record at that time which was the highest grossing single auction amount of $11.45 million, I believe.

Here's what I don't understand. T.S. O'Connell is the Editor of SCD and also writes a column titled the "Auction Circuit". In fact, T.S. O'Connell covered the record setting auction but didn't write one word about the second most expensive bat ever to be sold. He did mention some of the lessor bats in that auction like the Clemente and the Mays, but not one word about this historically significant piece of lumber.

Now this bat was graded by SCDA and was awarded their highest grade, an A10, which means that the bat is 100% authentic and is accompanied by "impeccable" and "ironclad" provenance. I would think that since this bat is without question, absolutely, positively authentic and was authenticted by two of their own, that this would be a "red letter" day for SCD and their newly launched authentication division, SCD Authentic.That they would want to acknowledge the work of their experts who uncovered this bat that had been hidden away for over 60 years! Surely they would want to take advantage of the advertising potential and their association with this historic and expensive artifact in order to promote their authentication services division. Still not one word about it.

I contacted T.S. O'Connell, as well as Rocky Landsverk, SCD Editorial Director, and asked them why nothing was written about this bat in O'Connell's "Auction Circuit" column even though they covered that auction and I never heard back from. I guess they assumed that the emails I was sending to them were simply rhetorical.

Old 01-01-2005, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve k

There is an old saying that "absolute power corrupts absolutely." This isn't only true with kings, emperors or dictators but with anyone who is in a position of "absolute power." If the situation here is that one or maybe only two people have absolute power over the authentication of certain memorabilia, and they stand to benefit financially, then there is going to be corruption.

Old 01-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott

Robert, it's apparent you like to write and also to do research. Have you thought about creating a well-organized web-site? You could simply post short synopses here when you add something interesting, along with links.

Perhaps you could even create a forum with threads devoted to each topic, then update your web-site as you receive new research results from board members?

Old 01-03-2005, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert Plancich

Scott - That is a great idea and I am considering a website in the future. Presently however, the time to do it is the main obstacle, not to mention the money. If you have some ideas I'd like to learn more about it.

Old 01-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Nathan

the blog approach will allow you to post stories through your web browser and do not need to know much HTML.

It's a pretty easy way to get the word out and communicate your thoughts/stories/research on a consistent basis.

Nathan

Old 01-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott

Robert - my web-site uses "Homestead". It is inexpensive, simple to use and requires zero knowledge of HTML. You can find it by checking out the links at the top of the page - you should check out other board members' web-sites as well for additional formatting/hosting ideas.

You can also create a Net 54 forum for free, and add a link to it on your web-site - that way you can easily gather information to add to your various web-site categories. I did this for a vintage photography web-site, and I now use the associated Net 54 forum to "hold" some of my information until the web-site is ready. I also create threads there to stimulate input from board members.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trae R.

I run a small webhosting company, and I would gladly give steep discounts to anyone from this forum.

http://www.dashboxmedia.com

Please let me know if you're interested. My prices are already very affordable. I'd also be glad to help setup anything (forum software, blog software, etc.)