NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-08-2009, 01:51 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Default Nice graded card boxes - advice....COMING SOON

My father-in-law is retiring soon and wants to dedicate his free time to woodworking. His work is amazing. I had him design and build two graded card boxes for me last year. He loved the project and wants to do more. Any advice on design, layout, sizes, locks, price etc. Attached are pictures of the two boxes. One has adjustable dividers for fitting rack packs, cellos etc. The other is standard width (SGC, PSA etc) - but also a touch wider to allow for sleeves (don't want those slabs scratched).... Current large boxes hold about 250-270 graded cards. I counted 68 in one row of all PSA...

Thanks guys.

Last edited by jp1216; 03-16-2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: none
Old 11-08-2009, 02:07 PM

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=116414

reference this thread
Old 11-08-2009, 02:16 PM

Tell your father-in-law that I think the boxes look great. They remind me of wooden cigar boxes, which would be fitting for tobacco card collectors.

Last edited by drc; 11-08-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:21 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Hey guys thanks for the input - already recieved a couple emails etc. His work is outstanding. Attention to detail is great. I sent him dimensions etc for a simple box and he sends me two boxes with adjustable dividers, locks, and outstanding workmanship. The design on the top was his idea. It is actually cut out of the original wood and replaced with another type of stained wood (you can see the different wood grain etc).

I know he'd love to do standard size boxes, but would love to do the customizable items too. Smaller, larger etc.

Keep the advice coming. thanks
Old 11-08-2009, 03:11 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

General dimensions of mine are 16 (length)X 17 1/2 in (width - 4 rows) . Rows (in the photos) are slightly larger than standard SGC/PSA slabs to allow for graded card sleeves. That was my only request.

Many have emailed about pricing. Thanks. I'll need to get back to you on that. He retires from his current job in December, so will have more time to do this stuff next year (2010).

Eventually, once pricing is established, I'll try to get some orders placed. You won't be disappointed. Again, I'm hoping these boxes can be fully customizable to the buyers demands. More to come.

I'm just looking for more feedback as far as ideas etc. I've suggested combo locks vs. key locks etc. Top design patterns can be picked too...

thanks
Old 11-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Scott R.

Default Very nice...

He does very nice work. I am in the market for a case to hold all of my graded vintage cards, so keep us posted alright?
Old 11-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Bobby Binder

Great looking box I must say. He should do some kind of felt lining on the inside so that the plastic does not slip all around and protect them from scratches.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Marvin J.

His boxes do look great - one recommendation/suggestion. I would probably line the inside of the box with felt to prevent any scratching.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:42 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Getting about that time to start making boxes!! My father-in-law is now retired and wants to tackle some card boxes. He'll be taking orders soon. One more idea I had was to make a small (more classic) box for 'little' cards. A box centered around the 1 15/32 x 2 11/16 mini tobacco toploaders (to also fit graded cards on their sides).

I'm suggesting having him make graded card boxes (see above) and 'tobacco' mini boxes. As soon as a prototype is ready, I'll post pictures. Something that could maybe hold 600 or so mini toploaders - approx 12x12in? Or 500 minis with a few graded slabs on their sides. Just a guess. Imagine a small customizable box for 'the monster'... etc...

Does anyone have ideas for the top design? Something classic, something to add character to the boxes. Especially the tobacco boxes. Email me pictures if you have ideas. Customization will be available too.

Thanks for the above ideas. Felt bottoms will be standard. The mini boxes will have fixed dividers. The larger graded boxes will have adjustable dividers to fit graded cards, semi rigid holders/toploaders, mini tobacco toploaders and larger items.

Prices? Don't know yet. I'm sure it'll be fair based on materials, time, shipping etc. Probably have to be a pre-order situation so he could make a few at a time.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:25 PM

I would be interested in a box. Please PM when everything is sorted out. I think a nice top design would be one similar to that on one type of the T205 cards with 2 bats forming a V and a baseball where the bats meet as well as the diamond bases patern in a third wood color. Not sure how difficult that would be but it would look nice.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Chris Buckler

Default Count me in

I am in for one also. Please PM me or email me at bucklercards@yahoo.com when you are ready to take orders.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2010, 08:35 AM

The boxes look great. One suggestion would be to also make one that fits standard cabinet cards holders from SGC and PSA.
JimB
Old 03-17-2010, 08:47 AM
Paul Hawk

I would be interested in a box.

I have one request: make the dividers small enough so that they hold graded cards "snugly" and not rattle around in the box when carried.

Another suggestion: For us vintage collectors, offer to brand words on the top of the box so collectors can see what they have inside that specific box: i.e., "T-206" or "T-205" or "1909 to 1911 Tobacco Cards."

Just a suggestion.

http://vintagebaseballs.blogspot.com

Stop by and say hello!
Old 03-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Rob Miller

I would certainly be interested, especially in boxes that can hold Tallboys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark7781 View Post
Another suggestion: For us vintage collectors, offer to brand words on the top of the box so collectors can see what they have inside that specific box: i.e., "T-206" or "T-205" or "1909 to 1911 Tobacco Cards."
That is a cool suggestion. I might be asking a lot, but it would be nice to see a slot of some sort where you can insert and index card or something removable. My collecting vision always seems to change, so I wouldn't want something permanent. Again, great idea and let me know when available.

Rob
Old 09-11-2010, 04:13 PM

bump
Im interested in one of these boxes, is this project still going on?
Old 12-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Just got mine its awesome ty
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.