NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Default Need advice on a graded T3

Ok first off I am not posting this so we can bash on a grading company, there are plenty of those threads already. I use both PSA and SGC and for the most part I have been very happy with the service they both provide. Over the last 7 years I have gotten a few cards that I felt were a little under or overgraded but it has always been close and I am ok with that, its a judgement call on their part.

Now today I just purchased my first card were I really think they got it way wrong. The card is my first T3 and I was very excited to finally own one but was a bit dismayed when I saw it. The card was graded a PSA 4 and cost almost $700, after looking at the back I noticed 3 small spots of paper loss as well as two dark stains plus a large light stain over most of the top back of the card. I just can't see how this got in the holder (its not tampered with I made sure that was not the case), to me I would not give it more than a Poor -Fair, plus where is the qualifier for the stains? I am providing scans so you all can look and let me know that I am not just being overly picky and should be a bit upset. What do you think this card should have graded?

I am also looking for advice/help from anyone who might have already been down this road on what to do next. I am leaning towards calling Joe at PSA and seeing if he will make the situation right but I am open to what everyone else thinks. This is my first time down this road and don't want to be overreacting but at the same time I feel a bit like I was ripped off.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Scott

Old 01-12-2010, 10:09 PM

Tough break on the T3. Did the seller provide scans of the back before you purchased the card? Does the seller accept returns? I would try to work with the seller first before contacting the grading company.

Hopefully you will be able to come to an acceptable agreement with whichever course you choose.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:17 PM
qu@n nguy3n

first, card is not poor/fair, you're being way too harsh.

small card=small flaws, big card=blown-up flaws. card is a bit soiled, and stained....not at all uncommon in VG-VGEX cards. psa also is more lenient with back paper loss. i think the grading on this card is pretty much in line with their standard (whether you agree with it is another story). depending on front i'd give it at least VG...
Old 01-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Barry Arnold

Default T3

I understand your disappointment,Scott.
IMHO the card should receive no higher than a Good.
The staining and paper loss should not be that noticeable on a 700 dollar T3.
I hope that you get your money back.
best,
barry
Old 01-13-2010, 07:19 AM
Keith O'Leary

I agree with the rest of the opinions here, talk to the seller and hopefully you can work something out.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:35 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I am with Quan

I am with Quan on this one. I don't think it's that bad. I am not a T3 collector but I have noticed grading companies be a bit lenient in grading of large sized cards. I would say it's only 1 grade difference, maybe a 3. If there was a big back scan, upon purchase, then I am not sure there is a lot of room for disgruntlement, maybe a little bit, but not a lot. This is just my own opinion. Ya' gotta do what makes ya' happy.....BTW, I have a nice VG-EX E94 with spots of paper loss on the back, but the front is close to NRMT. ALSO, if I am not mistaking it actually looks like some of those spots of paper loss are not paper loss but extra paper on the card. Maybe some scrapbook paste residue? Those could probably easily be removed.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:38 AM
Tony Quinn

Default Graded T3

As long as a scan was available in the listing, I don't think the seller should issue a refund on a graded card unless it's been tampered with or the holder is damaged. If no scan (of the back) was offered, why wouldn't the buyer have requested one, especially with a high dollar item like that? I ALWAYS request better or additional scans (if the originals are deficient in my opinion) before purchasing ANY card that costs more than $100 or so. Not a slam to the buyer in any way, but you have to be extra careful these days, especially with dealers you are unfamiliar with.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:13 AM
Don

I think the trick to getting great T3's is find PSA1's that look EX but have a small pin hole. If I were collecting them, I'd buy them all day like that.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Mac Wubben

I know the first thing I do when I get a T3 is flip it over to see how great the checklist printing looks. What a raw deal. I'd agree that the mid-grade T3's are allowed more defects than a standard card.

Mac