NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Default Damn 2006 Allen & Ginter crap

Posted By: James Gallo

Ok so most of you know about the 2006 Allen and Ginter series and that they inserted vintage cards in the modern packs.

So these cards are 1:3227 packs. They are the toughest pull.

Well here is what I got when I pulled one.

Anyone else see the numerous problems here?

What is the deal with this total crap.

James Gallo

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

A Pedro Martinez?

Old 09-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Darn the luck... 1 in over 3,000 packs and you pull a non-sport card!!! I haven't seen one A&G sport card up for auction yet on ebay. I've seen several others like this one though and they seem to get a premium for the cards.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi James,
Quit buying packs and you can buy a whole set of those "beauties" on Ebay for cheaper than that one card cost you. Your not in Vegas are you? No, then quit gambling and buy Vintage Only.....

Be well Brian

PS I understand, I grew up buying 75 and 76 cello packs and every year I treat myself to a few just to keep the beast happy.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

James,
could be worse. You could have pulled a swatch of Nathaniel Hawthorne's bootstrap.

I opened a few of these boxes and got a swatch of JFK's sweater. I am going to stick to buying the old stuff. This new stuff stinks

Old 09-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

hahahahaha. Steve - Pedro - hahahahaha. And we won't even go into Toby's chase card ideas. heehee

I have to admit that I bought a pack when I was picking up toploaders last weekend, just to see how well they "honored" the originals. I didn't even know that they had actual vintage inserts.

As to the modern version? Yawn. I guess you have to venture back to shiny stuff once every decade or so. That's enough for me.

Joann

Old 09-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DR

I didn't realize the 2006 A&G original non sports (Poor to VG) cards sold for so much. I've bought the same cards in 7s and 8s for less. It's difficult for me to rationalize.

Thanks,
David

BUY / SELL / TRADE -> 1878 TO 1911 NON-SPORTS

Old 09-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

I also got a swatch of JFK's sweater....sold it on eBay for $105. I actually like the cards but am not the gambling type. I could care less about the insert crap. I put together the historical portion of the set for less than $10. The local dealer has a box full of the Topps A & G cards that were given to him by people who bought boxes in his store. They weren't interested in the cards, just fishing for inserts. He told me that most of his customers open the cards on the counter in his store, take the inserts and the short prints, and leave the rest. So he sells them twice.

I also have yet to see any of the baseball originals on eBay. I wonder how many they actually encapsulated. My guess would be one of each of the ten players.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Modern Geeks seem to love this set. It makes me Barf.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

This set will probably convert a few new/shiney collectors into vintage collectors.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

I really am addicted to cards. Since I can't get a vintage fix every few days I buy some new stuff once in a while. I tend to sell off the inserts as I don't care much for them and it gets me back some cash. There are a few modern players I like to collect so I pick those cards out of the sets.

They did do some nice re-prints of the vintage Baseball players so those are nice too.

I did get some 75 Topps mini's but that is about as old as I can get out of my local stores.

Anyway I can't believe they would put these cards in there and one with a HUGE tear on the front too boot.

Jesh why don't they get a little cheaper.

James Gallo

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

For a 1:3227 pull, I agree that card is lame.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I picked up 7 or 8 packs of these and I think they are absolutely stunning. Gorgeous representations of modern players, a few cards of retired players, some players of other sports and some non-sports figures. It's got the typical modern card insert lottery thing, but that's the nature of that part of the hobby today.

The "mini" (i.e. regular A&G) sized cards are really cool, too. Nice and thick, too.

I don't collect many modern cards at all, but nothing brings me back to my childhood like opening a few packs of cards. Since I can't seem to find any 1938 Goudey packs at Target, I'll happily buy the new stuff every once in a while.

You know, baseball cards are just going to keep getting made every year, and people are going to keep buying them every year. You're allowed to like the new ones AND the old ones, it's okay, really.

-Al

Old 09-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Kudos to your post Al. When I was younger, it was very common for collector's to collect everything! Including pre-war, post-war, modern, etc. It's a hobby, I think it's strange for some vintage hobbyists to spend thousands of dollars on trashed E107 commons, just as I think it's strange that folks want to spend thousands on modern stuff. Live and let live.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I will agree with you there Al - I do like the feeling of opening a pack of cards and not knowing what's going to be inside. You really can't get that part of it in the vintage world.

I suppose I was being kind of picky on the 06 A&G. I just thought they looked cartoonish. Maybe I'm spoiled by the softer look of the originals.

Joann

Old 09-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Drum

Have to disagree, luv the set. Only modern "sets" I do are Topps Heritage (this year in the style of the '57s) and whatever homage set they choose to do (A&G, Turkey Red, Cracker Jack). IMO the inserts are crap but if you enjoy the cards - let er rip.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

In addition to collecting Vintage, I'm also a "modern geek." The A&G stuff from Topps is "ok" IMO - there are better modern issues out there - but I do agree with Al's sentiments.

Can't we all just get along???

Old 09-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

But of all the potential guys out there, why Tyson? What, Ali or Louis or Marciano or Dempsey aren't good enough?

Old 09-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

why Tyson is in A&G

Tyson is still around to sign cards;

If you could get Lewis, Sullivan, or Marciano or Dempsey to sign cards; I'd like to be there as a witness.

In addition; the original A & G set featured people active in the 1880's -- not retired greats.

Maybe Oscar de la Hoya would be OK and perhaps Evander Hollyfield but how many other "active" fighters have as much mass "appeal" as Tyson

Rich

Old 09-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

I agree Adam. Why not some of the classic boxers? My guess is that Topps did not want to deal with the estates of these individuals. Probably too expensive. I was also disappointed that not a single classic football player was included like Grange, Nagurski, Nevers, etc. Maybe Topps is planning an A & G football set?

Decent cards for new stuff. I just wish Topps would have the courage to eliminate the inserts.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Inserts are what drive the hobby these days. Personally, I think most are junk, but there are some that are very nice. I suppose it's a matter of one's tastes in cards.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

I'd be upset too if I had pulled that card.... so why not send it back? Say it was damaged in the pack and maybe they'll send you a new one.

What is that card even worth? If not atleast, waste the $1 on postage and keep your fingers crossed. Hell even say your son got it and maybe they'll send you some free packs in exchange.

It may not be the most honest thing, but its pretty shotty of them to include that card in that product.
-Kyle-

Old 09-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

You can rest assured that does does not have any vintage A&Gs laying around to make such a swap/refund. The offer doesn't say you'll get a baseball player or even and A&G from the n28 or n29 set. It just says taht you will get an original A&G card. Definately sucks though when you are buying baseball cards and get a non-sports card with little appeal.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Bob Fitzsimmons is long dead and he's in the set but not the original.

Also, last time I checked, Ali was alive.

How about Sugar Ray Leonard? George Foreman?

Old 09-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

I am sure Topps is aware of Muhammad Ali. Either he wasn't willing to "sign" on, or he is too ill, or perhaps his fee was more than Topps wanted to pay. I am sure it isn't a matter of Topps executives not knowing who the greatest living fighters are.

Old 09-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Tyson isn't the greatest anything. He is a thug and shouldn't be included in any set by any company that is concerned with their integrity.

Old 09-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Tyson was something alright. HE had so much potential.....down the drain. He was something though.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Administrator

What better profession for a thug than boxing?

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:07 AM
Administrator

I don't want my kid collecting cards of convicted rapists. Really, has Topps lost all good sense and judgment here? Or is it another manifestation of how kids are increasingly left out of the equation when it comes to modern card manufacturing. Perhaps one of the reasons why their market has collapsed over the last decade? I seriously doubt that Topps could not have gotten Foreman or Leonard for the same $$ as Tyson.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Administrator

I bet they could have gotten Chuck Wepner or Tex Cobb real cheap

Jay

Old 09-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Who is that woman?

Old 09-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Russ Bright

most of the original cards that were inserted were from the "birds" series. and they're not going for much on Ebay. I tryied my luck with 2 boxes and got 5 game used crappy cards and not much else. I am always disappointed when i buy new cards and get nothing, but i NEED to do it, i can't buy original packs of cards for reasonable prices, so i buy the new stuff. I agree it's crap, but when crap it the only option you have (i'm a gambler)

Old 09-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: NickM

A dealer I know opened a few packs, and pulled a Tyson from one of them. She offered it (free) to a boy shopping in the store with his father. The father yelled at her for doing that and said that his son would not be collecting cards of rapists.

At least they didn't make him a shortprint.