NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-17-2006, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Default "football sucks"

Posted By: James Feagin

I absolutely love college football. I'm navigating through 4 games as we speak. If the NFL game doesn't feature the Ravens or Redskins and is in the regular season, I'm not watching it. I also feel the NFL should eliminate the "Two Minute Warning". Another meaningless timeout that drags games into eternity

Old 09-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Default "football sucks"

Posted By: davidcycleback

I like football, but dislike the modern presentation. I can live without exploding animated scoreboards and video game sound effects. Also, every fourth announcer is paid to act like an idiot. I don't terribly mind Terry Bradshaw, but it's obvious that acting like a giggling hick is his schtick ... My personal rule for announcing football game is that there should never be more two announcers for a game, as there is limited air space and two good announcers say all that needs to be said. The tv execs know that they need two compentent announcers for a game(play by play and color commentator), but can do what they want with the frivolous third position. For example, Dennis Miller could only exist as a football anouncer on a three position staff. He couldn't on a two.

Though when I was growing up, the Green Bay Packers radio color commontator was Max McGee. The rumor was that he didn't make much sense in the fourth quarter because he started drinking in the first....I remember when the Packers were considering getting a cheer leading squad. Max got in a bit of trouble, because he said on the air that they couldn't field a squad as there weren't enough good looking women in the area.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Default "football sucks"

Posted By: paulstratton

Man I love college football. Some of my fondest memories are going to Michigan games with my Pops as a kid and then going as a college student(don't remember much about those however). Autumn to me is playoff baseball and Saturday's at the Big House.

The 55 Topps All-American set is a classic and it's the only football set I collect. I love the artwork and nostalgic feel of the set.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Default "football sucks"

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

I have lost interest in football. I'm not sure why. But I still have my Topps 1955 All America set and my Topps 1960 set. One of my favorite players was "Big Daddy" Lipscomb, who would probably be too small to play today.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Default "football sucks"

Posted By: bill

many years back I was a hall of fame fanatic
baseball, basketball, hockey, and football.
there really isn't much prewar football
but I did find some silver matchbooks that I bought for
1-2 dollars each many years back
decided I needed to sell them, so about a year
ago I sold them on ebay
was pleasently shocked at the prices I got for themalso had a great don hutson wheaties in my opinion the
greatest receiver of all time look up his numbers.

arnie herber $523.00
clarke hinkle $260.00
red grange $325.09
bronko nagurski $520.00
cal hubbard $341.00
don hutson $355.00 paid $33.00 for that one

Old 09-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Default "football sucks"

When Don Hutson retired he held the all time pro records of 99 touchdowns, 488
receptions and 7,991 recieiving yards. Second all time in those categories were 37
touchdowns, 190 receptions and and 3,309 yards.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Default "football sucks"

Posted By: warshawlaw

but not necessarily the cards

Old 09-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Default "football sucks"

Posted By: Joe Tocco

I like baseball, but I love football. Maybe it's because I grew up in one of those Midwest industrial cities and football was king (and still is, in Ohio). But then again, my brother has made baseball his career (radio play-by-play for the Southern League champs Montgomery - and Southern League broadcaster of the year ) and feels about football how I do about baseball.

One of the things I love about football is what others here hate: There are only 16 games. Each game is like sweeping three 3-game series' in baseball, or being swept. Every game is an event. Every game is huge. That's also why I love how it's played, vs. "continuous action" sports - each down is its own event. Each down feels special. Each down has its own character... 1st and 10 is an entirely different event than 3rd and 2. I like the way baseball is played too for that reason, but the majority of pitches are thrown with no one on base, and they all "feel" the same to me. I'm sure that's because I'm an unsophisticated fan, and my brother would chastise me for not understanding how a slider low and away on a 3-1 count in the 5th inning differs from a 2-2 changeup down broadway in the 3rd, but I'm not particularly inclined to learn. Football is every bit as complex, and although I hate throwing stones, anyone who says otherwise just doesn't understand the game. Neither game is intrinsically superior to the other.

Baseball naturally lends itself better to statistics buffs, and because of how each sport evolved in this country lends itself better to historians. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noted that those sports fans who are more interested in statistics are more likely to collect cards. And clearly those who are interested in history are more likely to collect.

Vintage baseball cards are awesome. There are so many options, so much incredible photography, awe-inspiring artwork, and CHOICES, just so many ways to collect. I'm jealous of baseball collectors. I would kill for an Ernie Nevers Ramly, and I would die happy if I could lay eyes on a T3 Thorpe (don't chastise me for shifting my eras by a decade or two to make a point ). We have the Chicles with an art-deco design that doesn't really speak to football collectors, and the Mayos with a collection of college players no one has heard of. Wheaties boxes? Matchbook covers? A smattering of other cards in multi-sport sets? Ho hum. Vintage baseball cards are infinitely more appealing than vintage football.

What football collecting has going for it are the demographics of the collecting base. The vast majority of collectors are fans, and the majority of collectors became fans and collectors in their youth. Football has gained in popularity vs. baseball in the last 30 years. I won't argue if it has surpassed baseball, but in a relative sense it has made gains. That alone will inevitably lead to an increased relative demand in the next 30 years. None of these arguments are new to any of you, but it's worth stating.

Bottom line: Keep buying baseball cards, vintage football is terrible

Joe

Old 09-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Default "football sucks"

Posted By: Anonymous

Good piece of writing, man. An A Plus post!

Good pitching will always beat good hitting and vice versa.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Default "football sucks"

Football and football memorabilia is closely tied to colleges, alma
matters, college school colors, etc. A 1950 Big 10 program can be more
valuable than a 1950 NFL program. This makes it distinct to baseball.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Default "football sucks"

And on that note...Take the pain Fighting Irish fans...overrated and overhyped as usual. You got what you deserved, a severe beat down in your own house.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Default "football sucks"

Posted By: Greg

Seeing that I have nothing else better to do, and it appears that there is a love for irrelevant bashing on here, I would like to change the direction of this thread to "Lima Beans Suck." After all, most of us can probably agree that the lima bean is truly one of the most aweful vegetables out there (or perhaps it is not a vegetable after all, how ignorant of me if I am wrong, but I'll just say it anyway because it is apparently fine to say just anything you want to on here).

For the life of me, I simply cannot understand the rationale people have for seizing any opportunity they can get in order to just say something negative about something, especially if it has no relevance at all (especially the part about football being less intelligent than baseball, how utterly ignorant, and what the heck does one have to do with the other? That's like saying apples are more intelligent than oranges, or brain surgeons are more intelligent than cardiac surgeons). And for those who are offended by the word "ignorant", please look it up in the dictionary.

So you don't like football, or soccer, or.....should any of us care? I don't like the ballet, but why on earth would I start a post like "Ballet Sucks" on a vintage baseball card forum? Is it supposed to make me feel better? Is it to hurt ballerinas or those who love the ballet? Do you think ballerinas or ballet afficianados give a crap about what I think anyway?

Narrowmindedness never gets you anywhere, unless you're trying to get a mob of like-narrowminded people together for the sole sake of making yourself feel better or to spread hatred and dissent.

I should probably clerify that this sentiment is not just for this baseball/football dispute, but for all of the childish negative threads that occasionally pop up here. Wouldn't life be a little more easy and enjoyable if we all just tried to broaden our minds or at least tolerate others that may not share our own point of view?

Something also tells me I would rather hang out with a bunch of guys tossing down a few beers watching whatever game happens to be on the tube than anyone sitting with a group all pissing and moaning that they don't like something just because it's different from their primary interest.

I wish I could contribute more to the board on vintage cards. Problem is, I'm just starting out and am trying to learn the hobby so I have nothing to contribute on them (and as a result I don't feel it appropriate just to say something just to hear myself speak, er, type). But this is beyond card knowledge, it's nothing different than what I would say to my 8 year old if she behaved just as badly.

Just my two cents, not that it's worth anything.

OK.....go ahead and bash me. I'm a big boy.

Greg

(Who thoroghly enjoyed being glued to the tube yesterday watching a Patriot victory sandwiched in between two beautiful slices of downtrodden, ripped apart, going nowhere fast, BoSox beating those Damn Yankees - despite the admiration I have for the season New York put up)

Old 09-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Default "football sucks"

and I hate people like that

Old 09-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Default "football sucks"

Posted By: Bob

Inasmuch as most NASCAR fans are also football fans, that ought to say alot about the relative intelligence of baseball versus football fans. I live in the South and can attest to the relative IQ or lack thereof of most NASCAR fanatics. What a thrill- watching cards constantly making left hand turns.
I enjoy watching college football, I enjoy watching some pro football games but I love watching baseball, truly the American pasttime. Besides, how many of us grew up being excellent in math because we used football statistics to learn how to multiply and divide? Zero. I remember figuring out all those ERAs and batting averages of the players...

Old 09-20-2006, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Default "football sucks"

Posted By: Bill K

I LOVE football!! I would watch Dartmouth play Penn over a MLB game any day, and would watch good Big Ten or NFL game no matter who is playing over a playoff or world series game unless the Twins were involved. I have an utter disdain for today's baseball. Other than following the Twins by watching ESPN or looking for box-scores periodically on-line I could care less about the sport. I do absolutely love the dead-ball era and would rather read about it, research it, and collect the cards than watch any football game (even the Vikings).

"Football is war" is about the most ignorant comment I have read on this board in some time. War is war Paul. Tell your story to the troops overseas. Football is a game. Is baseball war because they have bench clearing brawls, throw at batters, and bowl over a catcher at a play at the plate?

Bill

My personal collection - http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/fkm_bky/

Old 09-20-2006, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Default "football sucks"

Posted By: jay behrens

Who said football is war? Someone quoted George Carlin's old comedy routine comparing baseball and fotball showing how football terms are centered around war and baseball terms much less violent and much mroe friendly.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Default "football sucks"

Bill,

I never said anything like that if you were referring to me.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Default "football sucks"

Posted By: Bill K

Not you Paul Stratton, but T-206 Collector did in his post near the top 1/3.

It also wasn't referencing a George Carlin act (that I can recall).

Bill

My personal collection - http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/fkm_bky/

Old 09-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Default "football sucks"

Ok Bill. I didn't know his name was Paul and I missed his post. My bad.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Default "football sucks"

is that football sucks. No matter how much you rationalize it, try to explain it, etc., watching football is torture. Everything about it sucks. It sucks to play it as a child unless you happen to be a pituitary case. It sucks to be around the blockhead mentality of football players in high school. It sucks to read the rap sheet, er sports page, about the stunning degree of cheating in college football programs (Reggie Bush, anyone; hey, at least he didn't rape any exotic dancers). It sucks to watch a bunch of overgrown steroid jockeys pumped up on greenies slam into each other and fall in a pile then behave like they just killed a lion.

They should use the NFL on terror suspects; after a few weeks of watching NFL pregame shows, bad games, and post game shows, they'll spill their guts.

I'm kidding...don't stuff me in a locker.