NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-17-2016, 09:11 AM
Tr0y Thibod3au

Default Saco River Auction 10-26-16 Up For Viewing

Here is the link to our 10-26-16 Sale

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/cata...bilia-10-26-16

This is the last part of the collection we sold on 09-21-16 with some additions.

Anyone who would like to phone bid is encouraged to call 207-650-5677 or email info@sacoriverauction.com
Old 10-18-2016, 02:02 PM
Tom Boblitt

Sparse on detailed descriptions.......1959 Topps complete set identifies the (4) graded cards but nothing about the rest of the set and no other photos......
Old 10-18-2016, 02:49 PM
Dan Bretta

Lot #30 the Ken Wel Lou Gehrig advertising piece is a repro or fantasy item.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:38 PM
Don Hontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
Sparse on detailed descriptions.......1959 Topps complete set identifies the (4) graded cards but nothing about the rest of the set and no other photos......
Tom. You can call saco river for a description. I did see the set, it is overall excellent. Some stronger, and some vg.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:21 PM
Tom Boblitt

Agree but there are numerous others. I realize that this is an in person auction but they're not doing consignors any service with a lackluster description. I've bid on a few items almost entirely from the photos.....
Old 10-18-2016, 06:46 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Agree. They need a better platform. No other way to say it, this is weak.

That Gehrig piece of junk ad can be debunked with a 30 second internet search.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 10-18-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:22 PM
De.rek Gre.nce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Agree. They need a better platform. No other way to say it, this is weak.

That Gehrig piece of junk ad can be debunked with a 30 second internet search.
That and the "1953" Old Gold Babe Ruth advertisement...
Old 10-18-2016, 07:31 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Sauction

I'm sure they appreciate the criticism. Let them work it out with the consignors and let's bid !!
Old 10-18-2016, 07:34 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradedcardman View Post
I'm sure they appreciate the criticism. Let them work it out with the consignors and let's bid !!
If I owned a business I'd welcome criticism from knowledgeable people. It's probably the number 1 way businesses improve.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:37 PM
Rob G.

No excuse to not have scans of the single card lots instead of cell phone photos, a portion of which are blury (a T213-2 McGraw and '53 Jackie Robinson among others) and even a Maris resized dis-proportional to the cards dimensions.

A $150 CCD scanner (i.e. CanoScan 9000F) will pay for itself in less than one auction.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:57 AM
D@ve R1cks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
No excuse to not have scans of the single card lots instead of cell phone photos, a portion of which are blury (a T213-2 McGraw and '53 Jackie Robinson among others) and even a Maris resized dis-proportional to the cards dimensions.

A $150 CCD scanner (i.e. CanoScan 9000F) will pay for itself in less than one auction.
Seriously. They are running an auction and they don't have scans? WTF?
Old 10-21-2016, 07:47 AM
Tr0y Thibod3au

Default Reply

Hello All,

I spent the last couple days thinking about the comments and I would like to thank all that commented. In business we are always evolving and trying to work in a way that makes our consignors happy and buyers happy. Based on the potential buyers comments, it is clear that we need to change a few things.
I personally strive to get everything right in both my personal life and business life, so now knowing that some things need to change, those changes will happen instantly. We will be scanning all sports cards in future sales (front and back) instead of photographing the cards.
We always try to give accurate descriptions based on our knowledge and what's in front of us. However, we deal with thousands of items per year of all types including estate items, furnishings, coins, jewelry, firearms and art. As you can probably tell, its an enormous job describing items correctly, because no one can be an expert in every category of items. All I can say is we do our best. We never want to sell reproduction items, unless we call them a that. We also cannot research every item that comes out of estates, as it would take us a year to get ready for a single auction. A great deal of the responsibility to verify the veracity of the description or authenticity of an item must lie with the buyers, simply because you all are the experts. Having said that...if we make a mistake and call something real, or old, or original and it is not, we will make it right with the buyer. I am not in the business of selling fake stuff, not will I ever be. I would rather close the business and pick up trash on the highway.

As always I am available to answer any questions or to listen to any concerns via my cell phone. I do not look at this site everyday, so there may be a delay in responding to questions on here, so I would encourage you to call me anytime 207-650-5677

I am sorry for the confusion caused and hope that all involved will continue to buy with confidence from Saco River Auction.

Sincerely,

Troy Thibodeau
Saco River Auction
Old 10-21-2016, 08:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks Troy. We are all human. We can always strive to be better and this post of yours is spot on. I wish all people in our hobby (and everywhere) who make a mistake would be so responsive and accountable. Take care, good luck in the auction and thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saco River Auction View Post
Hello All,

I spent the last couple days thinking about the comments and I would like to thank all that commented. In business we are always evolving and trying to work in a way that makes our consignors happy and buyers happy. Based on the potential buyers comments, it is clear that we need to change a few things.
I personally strive to get everything right in both my personal life and business life, so now knowing that some things need to change, those changes will happen instantly. We will be scanning all sports cards in future sales (front and back) instead of photographing the cards.
We always try to give accurate descriptions based on our knowledge and what's in front of us. However, we deal with thousands of items per year of all types including estate items, furnishings, coins, jewelry, firearms and art. As you can probably tell, its an enormous job describing items correctly, because no one can be an expert in every category of items. All I can say is we do our best. We never want to sell reproduction items, unless we call them a that. We also cannot research every item that comes out of estates, as it would take us a year to get ready for a single auction. A great deal of the responsibility to verify the veracity of the description or authenticity of an item must lie with the buyers, simply because you all are the experts. Having said that...if we make a mistake and call something real, or old, or original and it is not, we will make it right with the buyer. I am not in the business of selling fake stuff, not will I ever be. I would rather close the business and pick up trash on the highway.

As always I am available to answer any questions or to listen to any concerns via my cell phone. I do not look at this site everyday, so there may be a delay in responding to questions on here, so I would encourage you to call me anytime 207-650-5677

I am sorry for the confusion caused and hope that all involved will continue to buy with confidence from Saco River Auction.

Sincerely,

Troy Thibodeau
Saco River Auction
Old 10-22-2016, 08:24 AM

Default 🍻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Thanks Troy. We are all human. We can always strive to be better and this post of yours is spot on. I wish all people in our hobby (and everywhere) who make a mistake would be so responsive and accountable. Take care, good luck in the auction and thanks again.

I also applaud the transparency, honesty, and guarantee in saco's response.

Last edited by bigfish; 10-22-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:34 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Troy - thanks for the response. I know from these posts and some prior ones you are struggling to find the best platform for your business, and looking at all angles.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 10-22-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:00 AM
Dan Bretta

Lot 30 Ken-Wel Gehrig piece still up without a proper description.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:45 AM
Don Hontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Lot 30 Ken-Wel Gehrig piece still up without a proper description.
Has anyone ever seen a real Ken Wel Gehrig? I believe they are all reprints. Saco River always mentions at the sit down auction if there is something wrong