NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Craig M

Default T206 BURNS (corrected glove variation)

Does anyone have the T206 BURNS corrected glove variation?

His card shows him wearing a left-handers glove on his right hand and I am in search of the elusive corrected glove variation.

Craig
Old 03-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Steve C.

If you find one, it would be considered a new discovery. Good luck!

Steve
Old 03-15-2013, 04:02 PM
Andy Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by willworkforT206 View Post
If you find one, it would be considered a new discovery. Good luck!

Steve
I have never heard of this card either. Guess you learn something new everyday.

Best,

Andy
Old 03-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default And now you know the.....................

Actually the best explanation for the Burns T206 card is the Abbott Theory.

Like Jim Abbott, Burns had only one hand and transferred the glove to his pitching hand after each pitch.

Although his Right Arm was never photographed, it is presumed that the contents of his glove as pictured on the T206 contains a less than functional flipper present since birth due to thalidomide that was given to his mother for morning sickness during her pregnancy.

Wait.....Wait......Don't Tell Me

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG09 View Post
I have never heard of this card either. Guess you learn something new everyday.

Best,

Andy
The T3 Turkey Red shows the corrected version. He was never wearing a lefty glove, that was just an error by the T206 artist

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...1&postcount=16
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 03-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Bill Burns wasn't the most professional guy. Called "Sleepy Bill" because he couldn't stay awake on the bench. And everyone knows he was a crook in the Black Sox thing. He might have been out there playing with the wrong glove. They just added another thumb to the T3 version.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Brendan Mullen

"...T206 contains a less than functional flipper.."

That's some funny stuff!!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadballfreaK View Post
Bill Burns wasn't the most professional guy. Called "Sleepy Bill" because he couldn't stay awake on the bench. And everyone knows he was a crook in the Black Sox thing. He might have been out there playing with the wrong glove. They just added another thumb to the T3 version.
I believe he was clowning for a photo, and the T206 is a close representation of that photo. The T3 looks like the artist actually added a glove finger where the web was in the photo.

But this is one where I would love to see the photo actually used.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

The T206 and T3 are completely different drawings off the same original photo. I don't think one was redrawn off the other. The glove sucks on both. T3 better but has 6 fingers.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Belltown Vintage

Not sure who you are responding to, but in case it was me, and my post was nebulous...

Most T206 art seems to be 'exact' representations of the original photos. It looks to me, like you said, that the T3 was also based on the real photo, but their was an attempt at correcting Burns' silliness.

If you have a copy of the original photo, please post.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Hey Scott, I was not being defensive or attacking you in the least. I think you might well be right. Could be a photo of a guy clowning around that got recorded for eternity. Just pointing out the differences in the T206 and T3 art. Lots of differences. Not just a glove touch-up. I do think they were painted/drawn off the same original pic, but I haven't seen it. I haven't even looked to tell you the truth. Probably out there somewhere. The only reason for my post was to spread a little light. I have zero interest in drama with anyone here, especially with someone who has contributed more than I ever will.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:56 PM
Eric Bea.chley

He killed Inego Montoya's father! Prepare to die.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:20 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Ok. I'm stupid and I've had too many beers on a Friday night. Inego Montoya?? Did he play 2B for the Reds in the 40s? No idea.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:39 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Hey Scott, I was not being defensive or attacking you in the least. I think you might well be right. Could be a photo of a guy clowning around that got recorded for eternity. Just pointing out the differences in the T206 and T3 art. Lots of differences. Not just a glove touch-up. I do think they were painted/drawn off the same original pic, but I haven't seen it. I haven't even looked to tell you the truth. Probably out there somewhere. The only reason for my post was to spread a little light. I have zero interest in drama with anyone here, especially with someone who has contributed more than I ever will.
Ken. No one thought you were or did. I was clarifying what seemed to be a a confusing post I made that was possibly misunderstood.

Most T206's were created with photographs as their base image. Some artistic license existed - compare Matty black cap to white cap.

This isn't speculation - you can actually verify this for card images where their photographic sources are known. For others, such as 'Donlin seated', it's obvious even if you don't have the photograph in front of you.

To me, the idea that Burns' glove was free-handed backwards is ludicrous, but before you take offense, that last statement is in response to John's post, not yours. So if anyone's going to get hurt by my comments, it would be John. John doesn't get mad - he gets even. Very dangerous person. Don't piss him off. If you do, he'll make sure that you NEVER ever get a Corcoran baseball card, even if some weird circumstance arose where you wanted one.

JK
Old 03-16-2013, 12:40 AM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

It does seem odd that an artist would paint a backwards glove from a photo. I agree completely that the guy was painting off a photograph and just copying what he saw. Prank or did just some one throw him a glove while a photographer was there taking pics? I doubt we will ever know. Pretty sure there is no corrected version of a T206 Burns though.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:10 AM
mike kilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Quote:
Ok. I'm stupid and I've had too many beers on a Friday night. Inego Montoya?? Did he play 2B for the Reds in the 40s? No idea.

hahaha, too damn funny! movie: The Princess' Bride.

--mike kilo.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:29 AM
Rob

Default Burns corrected glove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig M View Post
Does anyone have the T206 BURNS corrected glove variation?

His card shows him wearing a left-handers glove on his right hand and I am in search of the elusive corrected glove variation.

Craig
Seems like I saw a photo-shopped picture on here of T206 Burns with the glove on the other hand not long ago. Maybe that's what you saw, Craig. You gotta pay close attention for these jokers. Cheers
Old 03-16-2013, 01:30 AM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

I'm still lost princess bride?? no f'n idea.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:52 AM
NewEnglandBaseBallist

It was a popular movie in the '80's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Princess_Bride_(film)

Last edited by NewEnglandBaseBallist; 03-16-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:08 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Seems like I saw a photo-shopped picture on here of T206 Burns with the glove on the other hand not long ago. Maybe that's what you saw, Craig. You gotta pay close attention for these jokers. Cheers
Chris had posted one:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...1&postcount=16
Old 03-16-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Ken. No one thought you were or did. I was clarifying what seemed to be a a confusing post I made that was possibly misunderstood.

Most T206's were created with photographs as their base image. Some artistic license existed - compare Matty black cap to white cap.

This isn't speculation - you can actually verify this for card images where their photographic sources are known. For others, such as 'Donlin seated', it's obvious even if you don't have the photograph in front of you.

To me, the idea that Burns' glove was free-handed backwards is ludicrous, but before you take offense, that last statement is in response to John's post, not yours. So if anyone's going to get hurt by my comments, it would be John. John doesn't get mad - he gets even. Very dangerous person. Don't piss him off. If you do, he'll make sure that you NEVER ever get a Corcoran baseball card, even if some weird circumstance arose where you wanted one.

JK
I think you're giving the t206 artists too much credit, you have no idea if they were baseball fans. Not everyone looks at that pic and sees a glove on the wrong hand. Ever see the statue of Babe Ruth outside Camden Yards? I'm pretty sure that was a much bigger deal than 1 of 520 drawings in the t206 set.

The T3 pic of him is probably the real photo, why would they correct it? They weren't as playful?

I know where you live Scott, I have no problem knocking down your lawn elf and stealing your newspaper
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 03-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I think you're giving the t206 artists too much credit, you have no idea if they were baseball fans. Not everyone looks at that pic and sees a glove on the wrong hand.
I'm repeating myself, but... I think that for T206s, in most cases they simply dealt with the photo they were given, and made few modifications to the actual player image other than color, background and team names/logos;i.e-the artist didn't have to look at a blob on Burns hand and make a decision as to whether or not to draw a left or right-handed glove.

I also believe that much more time and effort was put into the T3's. Other than Baker, of course. That was just plain stupid.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
It does seem odd that an artist would paint a backwards glove from a photo. I agree completely that the guy was painting off a photograph and just copying what he saw. Prank or did just some one throw him a glove while a photographer was there taking pics? I doubt we will ever know. Pretty sure there is no corrected version of a T206 Burns though.
Don't think of it as painting from a photo. I'll write something up from notes I've copied from Steve and post it here later.

There was definitely artist creativity, but not so much. Here's an example - notice anything wrong with it?

Old 03-16-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I'm repeating myself, but... I think that for T206s, in most cases they simply dealt with the photo they were given, and made few modifications to the actual player image other than color, background and team names/logos;i.e-the artist didn't have to look at a blob on Burns hand and make a decision as to whether or not to draw a left or right-handed glove.

I also believe that much more time and effort was put into the T3's. Other than Baker, of course. That was just plain stupid.
It's possible the pic wasn't that clear when looking at the glove. It was a dark object on a black and white photo, who knows how visible it was in the pic. Until you find the original photo, I'm going with artist error
Old 03-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Brendan Mullen

What's wrong with Al Orth??
Old 03-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Craig M

Default Extra finger

Andy,

I knew that I had seen a variation in that glove on a T206 somewhere when doing my research but was unsure where in the heck I saw it.

I didn't realize that Chris Browne was the owner of the card. I will have to write him to see if he still has it in his collection.

Good stuff!!!

Craig

Last edited by Craig M; 03-16-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
This one is for old Burns.

I bought it off our friend Andrew.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:40 AM

I'm surprised Andrew sold that card to you Chris. You must have had some dollar Bill to Burns!
Old 03-16-2013, 11:54 AM

Default What a goob wants to know

Am I just a T206 babe lost in the woods? If this corrected glove T206 Burns exists, shouldn't the T206 set be 525 cards instead of 524? Or is this just some sort of early April Fools Joke pulled over on goobs like myself?

Brian
Old 03-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
It's possible the pic wasn't that clear when looking at the glove. It was a dark object on a black and white photo, who knows how visible it was in the pic. Until you find the original photo, I'm going with artist error
To me, it's a stretch to assume that because he's wearing the wrong glove, that the original photo must have had an indistinguishable blob where his glove would have been, but okay.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
What's wrong with Al Orth??
Keep looking. Something will eventually look strange to you. I didn't notice it until recently, but it's there...or not there.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Quote:
Keep looking. Something will eventually look strange to you. I didn't notice it until recently, but it's there...or not there.
The "R" in Orth?
Old 03-16-2013, 02:31 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I give up! What's wrong with the "Curveless Wonder"?

Last edited by Cardboard Junkie; 03-16-2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-16-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
To me, it's a stretch to assume that because he's wearing the wrong glove, that the original photo must have had an indistinguishable blob where his glove would have been, but okay.
That was just going off what you said, that a pre-1909 black and white outdoor picture would clearly show detail on a glove. Not hard to believe that it might not

Last edited by z28jd; 03-16-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:28 PM
mike kilo

no right arm at all?

--mike kilo.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
That was just going off what you said, that a pre-1909 black and white outdoor picture would clearly show detail on a glove. Not hard to believe that it might not
I get it

I get it

I get it

I disagree
Old 03-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo View Post
no right arm at all?

--mike kilo.
And we have a winner. You can almost see his right arm back to the right, ready to throw a ball. But perhaps in the original photo he was wearing a glove on that hand and it had to be removed altogether ?
Old 03-16-2013, 04:41 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I hope Ted Z. weighs in on this thread.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Bruce C@rter

His arm is down and behind him. He is pitching.
Basically in this pose except the card cut off the arm.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...9YSXm4FrAGvcAg
Old 03-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Brendan Mullen

His arm is cocked, ready to throw the ball. Perfectly normal I think(?)...
Old 03-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Belltown Vintage

Bruce, I think his right arm was along the horizon to the left, but in the original photo it extended to far to fit in the T206 frame, so it was amputated - that blurry area below and to the left of his chin, is where his arm was in the original photo. Of course I'm just guessing, but the card looks armless as-is.

To the left is Chase a little bit earlier in his throwing motion (glove hand a bit higher). As he brings his glove hand down, his throwing hand should extend out a bit more.

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:51 PM
Sean Costello

Bumped for George and anyone else interested.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:15 PM

Surprised no one caught this yet. He used an ambidextrous glove.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2686.jpg (21.4 KB, 181 views)
Old 12-02-2016, 05:07 PM

"Sleepy Bill Burns, the man who helped fix the 1919 World Series, could pitch with either arm, but did so only for exhibitions. He pitched lefthanded in games, then would work out righthanded between starts. He said that kept him in better shape than most pitchers."

http://cpcbaseballtrivia.blogspot.com/

Seems the glove was not an artist error but a nod to the fact that Burns pitched righthanded in exhibitions and between starts. So could be an ambidextrous glove as Michael said, or intentionally "wrong" glove to emphasize this quirk of Burns.

Last edited by sreader3; 12-02-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:03 AM
Don Stokes

Bill Burns
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bill burns 1909.jpg1.jpg (48.9 KB, 94 views)
Old 12-03-2016, 12:33 PM

Thanks for posting the photo Don. I vote for Michael S.'s ambidextrous glove theory in view of the photo and the fact that Burns is known to have pitched with different arms at different times. Would be nice to find indisputable proof though.