NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Mike Navarro

Default Will SGC slab this with at least an AUTH? Severely trimmed Ty Cobb autographed M114

I picked this up in Imperial Sports' latest auction. The autograph has a full letter of authentication from James Spence. The piece appears to be a trimmed down 1910 M114 Ty Cobb and has been trimmed down to 3.75 by 7 inches, and according to the auction writeup, appears to be mounted to a cardboard like backing. I know that SGC has begun to slab autographed cards once again due to their relationship with JSA. Is their enough present that they'd slab this as an M114 and put AUTH on the flip?? Yes, I did try to email them directly and ask, and no, they have not responded yet. I know a lot of people on this board are users of SGC so thought y'all might know. This image was a Charles Conlon image as well, correct?

Last edited by thenavarro; 07-17-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I think so

I think, as long as they can identify it and it's authentic, and it fits in one of their slabs, they will slab it as AUT. ON severely trimmed cards it's case by case and you should send them a scan..or show them this thread to see if they will do it. Michael Goldberg, their customer service rep, is who I would contact.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Mike Navarro

Leon,

Thanks for the reply. Michael is the person I emailed already, but he probably hasn't even had time to see it yet. At least I picked the right person

Mike
Old 07-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default however

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
Leon,

Thanks for the reply. Michael is the person I emailed already, but he probably hasn't even had time to see it yet. At least I picked the right person

Mike
I know the SGC guys fairly well. ON the weekends they might actually see this thread before they see their email .
Old 07-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Hi Mike, on the other board when I said yours looks like a M114, I was close its really a M113 I believe. Im not an expert on them and forgot about the series having the 2 ACC numbers...

Here is another one signed that is heavily trimmed that I believe is really a M114 issued well after 1910 ??? But was called a M113
http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...px?lotid=52964

Maybe someone who is an expert on these M113/M114s can positively ID your pose from the 1910 issue and not one of the later ones issued in the 1920-30s
Old 07-17-2011, 02:59 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

The Legendary Cobb that you just posted a link to is I believe the one from 1941(and M114 should be correct)...Right around that time was when they started to drop the brown background and go to the natural photo's background.

The one the OP showed should be the one from 1910.

http://www.auctionscc.com/archive/20...ball-cards/22/

I know these have been designated separately as M113 and M114, but lately I've been seeing most of these considered M114's. I believe the SCD Standard Catalog has them all listed together without designation, which probably is contributing to the confusion. The Cobb you have should technically be a M113 though..

Last edited by novakjr; 07-17-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Mike Navarro

Frank,

Here is one that Huggins and Scott advertised as 1910 here:

http://sep10.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...l?itemid=25682

Does that make it a M113 or a M114?

Old 07-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
The Legendary Cobb that you just posted a link to is I believe the one from 1941(and M114 should be correct)...Right around that time was when they started to drop the brown background and go to the natural photo's background.

The one the OP showed should be the one from 1910.

http://www.auctionscc.com/archive/20...ball-cards/22/

I know these have been designated separately as M113 and M114, but lately I've been seeing most of these considered M114's. I believe the SCD Standard Catalog has them all listed together without designation, which probably is contributing to the confusion. The Cobb you have should technically be a M113 though..
Thanks David,
I was in process of typing my reply to Frank when you posted. I appreciate the help.

Mike
Old 07-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Mike Navarro

Oh well, just got a message from Mr. Goldberg and he indicated they would slab it as a Ty Cobb autograph only and not as a M113/M114 due to the amount that is missing and the mounting on cardboard backing.

I'll have to try BGS or PSA next. It's really a small thing in the grand scheme of things, but I'd like to see the issue on the flip rather than just "Ty Cobb autograph".

Mike

Last edited by thenavarro; 07-17-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:57 PM
qu@n nguy3n

if you go with bgs or psa, wouldn't you have to pay the outrageous authentication fee again? whereas since jsa owns sgc now they'd just charge you the slabbing fees?
Old 07-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
if you go with bgs or psa, wouldn't you have to pay the outrageous authentication fee again? whereas since jsa owns sgc now they'd just charge you the slabbing fees?
BGS-no, I'd wait until Spence comes back to Dallas and take it personally while he's at Beckett on a Saturday. Since he still has a relationship with Beckett as well, I'd just have to pay for the card authentication and slabbing. At least that's the way he's done for me in the past without charging me the autograph authentication fee again.

PSA- I'd have to pay some fee for the autograph authentication fee, but they usually give me a pretty good discount so it would be palatable.

Mike

Last edited by thenavarro; 07-17-2011 at 04:14 PM.