NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 05-28-2015, 10:42 AM
$téve VV1lk

Default Why did Ernie Banks switch from SS to 1B in 1962?

Looks like he made the permanent switch in 1962.
In 1961 his Fielding Runs Above Replacement was 9 and his fielding percentage was about at his norm for his SS playing days (.965) and above the league average of .959.

Any information would be awesome. No reason for my inquiry other than simple curiosity. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2015, 10:55 AM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Default Big Switch

from all accounts that I've read,Banks was troubled by a shoulder injury and was having trouble with the throw from ss to 1st. ergo,the switch.Probably prolonged his career although the knees really started to give out on him in the later years.I think that Durocher thought he was dogging it.But it was the aged knees.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:59 AM
$téve VV1lk

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleguy64 View Post
from all accounts that I've read,Banks was troubled by a shoulder injury and was having trouble with the throw from ss to 1st. ergo,the switch.Probably prolonged his career although the knees really started to give out on him in the later years.I think that Durocher thought he was dogging it.But it was the aged knees.
Wikipedia just says that he was having knee problems. I figured that there had to be more since he was statistically still at his current level of play. I was not around at this time... and neither were my parents, haha. I just love learning more about the players from the 40s and 50s and wanted to inquire.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:21 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Default More on Banks

just to add,when Aaron was playing in negro league for the Indy Clowns in early '50s,many scouts came to look at him.he was playing shortstop.There was one game where scouts from the bigs were in attendance.Aaron looked terrible as a shortstop,refusing to extend his body for out of reach grounders.Opposite him in that game were the Kansas Monarchs.Their shortstop that night was Ernie Banks.He made three errors that game and quickly dismissed as a prospect by those scouts in attendance.
Got all this from the great new book, a compilation of W.C. Heinz columns "Top Of His Game."
And maybe you have heard of this: Yankees had to break the color barrier in '50s.They invited several prospects to the Stadium for a tryout.Two of those prospects were Aaron and Mays.Both were watched by elite scouts of the Yanks and both were dismissed as too flawed for the bigs.Think of that outfield :Mantle,Mays,Aaron !!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2015, 01:57 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Speaking of position changes, does anyone else feel bad that Joe Mauer has gone from maybe the second-best hitting catcher ever, to a so-so first-baseman?

I feel a little cheated, and I know it will cost him Cooperstown.

Perhaps the move was too early in his career?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-28-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleguy64 View Post
just to add,when Aaron was playing in negro league for the Indy Clowns in early '50s,many scouts came to look at him.he was playing shortstop.There was one game where scouts from the bigs were in attendance.Aaron looked terrible as a shortstop,refusing to extend his body for out of reach grounders.Opposite him in that game were the Kansas Monarchs.Their shortstop that night was Ernie Banks.He made three errors that game and quickly dismissed as a prospect by those scouts in attendance.
Got all this from the great new book, a compilation of W.C. Heinz columns "Top Of His Game."
And maybe you have heard of this: Yankees had to break the color barrier in '50s.They invited several prospects to the Stadium for a tryout.Two of those prospects were Aaron and Mays.Both were watched by elite scouts of the Yanks and both were dismissed as too flawed for the bigs.Think of that outfield :Mantle,Mays,Aaron !!!!!!!

Mickey also started at shortstop...

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-28-2015, 06:05 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Default Mantle

you are correct,sir. The Mick as an infielder.Imagine if they had kept him there(in spite of the errors),he never gets near that drain hole in the outfield,covering for Joe D.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:36 AM
Rob Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Speaking of position changes, does anyone else feel bad that Joe Mauer has gone from maybe the second-best hitting catcher ever, to a so-so first-baseman?

I feel a little cheated, and I know it will cost him Cooperstown.

Perhaps the move was too early in his career?
They moved Joe to prolong his career and keep him in the field. He was getting too many concussions from taking foul balls off his facemask.

He isn't the same player that he was 5 years ago for sure. He has never had much power, but his average was always around .325, and he hit 7-10 HR per year. Now his BA is in the mid .200's, and he has 1 HR. It has been suggested that the move from behind the plate has hurt his hitting. I don't know how.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:19 AM
Todd Schultz

I still believe he's better than even money to make Cooperstown, so long as he plays full time another 5 years.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:19 PM

Speaking of catchers, I don't know of anyone who has accomplished as much as early as Buster Posey:

(3) World Championships
Batting Title
Most Valuable Player

Even Trout should be jealous!

Mauer's history of concussions was mentioined...isn't it strange that the player who he replaced at first, Justin Mourneau, has also lost significant time to concussions - so maybe he won't be safe there either.

Also on the concussion subject, I shuddered when DBacks phenom Archie Bradley got hit by a line drive. He has not had a good game since...it would be a shame if he would up like Herb Score.

I wonder if more pitchers will finally break down and wear the 'halo hat'.

Last edited by clydepepper; 06-01-2015 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Additional comments.