NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 05-08-2019, 06:44 PM

Default 1994 Stadium Club Promo?

Help, I have looked everywhere I know. I have had this 1994 George Brett
Card #5 for a long time and have not been able to find out what it is.

It measures 3 x approx. 3 7/8th. It must be some type of promo card?
Any suggestions would help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1994 stadium club promo card ft.jpg (74.5 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 1994 stadium club bk.jpg (78.4 KB, 151 views)
Old 05-08-2019, 07:12 PM
Dylan

It’s just the base card miscut, I believe. There are no differences in text, cropping, format, etc than the base issue, just the slightly larger size. A seller named leximo sold many of these a few years ago. Another “tell” that your card is the base issue is the little C in the copyright area on back.

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr
Old 05-08-2019, 07:15 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Would the base card have all four borders as white? Seems like a lot of wasted space on the sheet.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:54 AM

Default Stadium club promo

If I measure it from within the border it still measures

2 1/2 x 3 3/4
Old 05-09-2019, 06:57 AM

Default Stadium club promo

Great question, the regular card does not have a white border
Old 05-09-2019, 08:06 AM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Would the base card have all four borders as white? Seems like a lot of wasted space on the sheet.
Yes, because it is a borderless set. Otherwise, the slightest oc would show the edge of another photo. This is why there is a slight amount of extra photo before the white “border” around each card.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:38 AM
Shain

It's definitely an error card, Brett was born in '53, not '63.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2019, 12:01 PM
Greg C

Default Answer...

This is cut from a 3 card panel. I have a few in my store.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:39 PM
Rich Klein

Are you sure about that with the 3 player cut sheets?. Your silver Stadium Club cards are from 1996 and the Brett is from 1994.

Just curious because I think the Brett has no variations (1953 instead of 1963 for the birthyear).

And yes, I'd love to be proven incorrect and fix the COMC data base. One of the people on this board reminded me to look and note some 55Topps variations which I did the other night.

Regards
Rich
Old 05-09-2019, 01:10 PM
Greg C

Default 95 panel

Not from 94 but this might be your missing link.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:14 PM
Rich Klein

Ok we got 1995 and 1996; I'd still love to see some 1994's before being sure about the promo

All the Brett's I checked in the COMC Data Base had the incorrect birthdate so I'm fine with that error of 1963 not being corrected.

Rich
Old 05-09-2019, 02:20 PM

Default brett stadium club card

Thank you, thank you, this is the closest I have come to figuring it out
Old 05-09-2019, 04:21 PM
Steve Birmingham

the 91 and 92 sheets have no or nearly no white space between cards. I haven't found a 94 sheet after a quick look.

The lots of extra white space and image seems wrong, but I did see a pic of a members only uncut sheet that does have white borders, so maybe.

Didn't they also have a contest/send in/boxtopper that was an oversized card? I can't recall what year that was...
Old 05-09-2019, 05:44 PM
Dylan

The fact that it includes the sheet code tells you all that you need to know.

Topps promos and pre-production cards do not contain them with the very occasional exception, ie, ABCD. The do not make three different complete sheets of promo cards as would be the case in order for Brett to receive a C designation.

This card likely came from the Leximo’s seemingly endless supply of sheet cut “oversized proofs” of junk era cards, which you can find many similar examples of on eBay. All either have the white border or measure larger as the base card.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F352642994055

Last edited by jacksoncoupage; 05-09-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:52 PM

Default stadium club promo

One of the things I had wondered if it was a giveaway at a National Convention
Old 05-10-2019, 07:19 PM
Curt

You got that right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post

This card likely came from the Leximo’s seemingly endless supply [/URL]
I would love to hear directly from the seller or someone who knows the seller and maybe has shared some information. This stuff is fun to collect for the oddball/player collector and certainly is not all that common, some of it maybe being the only copy out there, but where did it all come from exactly and how was it obtained? I guess it doesn't matter per se, but would be nice to have a little history behind it.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:04 AM

It is funny you mentioned that. I was thinking the other day that we now have no historian to track cards as information surfaces.

I have had a 1993 Jimmy Dean oversized card 2 3/4 x 3 3/4 and just found
information on it as a jimmy Dean promo card h/c.

I do remember being at a card show around the football pro bowl and they gave away cards there and have some cards stamped with a card show date.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:45 AM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybestbretts View Post
One of the things I had wondered if it was a giveaway at a National Convention
Well, wonder no longer, they definitely are not from the National. Or any other convention for that matter.

If you had been around in the hobby in the late 80s and early 90s, you’d probably recall how common “stolen” printer’s waste sheets were at the time. Thousands of sheets were illegally removed from the facilities and cut up and distributed into the market. This didn’t stop in the early 90s, even recent issue Bowman Chrome red refractor sheets have turned up. That is exactly what these are. Very cool, fun to add to the PC but not distributed by the manufacturer or issued in packs, promotional items, etc.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:57 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybestbretts View Post
It is funny you mentioned that. I was thinking the other day that we now have no historian to track cards as information surfaces.

I have had a 1993 Jimmy Dean oversized card 2 3/4 x 3 3/4 and just found
information on it as a jimmy Dean promo card h/c.

I do remember being at a card show around the football pro bowl and they gave away cards there and have some cards stamped with a card show date.
We do and we don't. People such as Dylan with his web site do a great job of cards from the over produced era. What we don't have is one coherent place to do information as we used to have in the days of hobby MSM. As an plug, if you want good information on this era -- go to his web site

Rich
Old 05-12-2019, 07:33 PM
Steve Birmingham

I really have to start writing down the odd production differences I collect, and the just odd stuff I notice.

If you think regularly issued stuff is hard, try stuff that was HSN exclsives. I have a signature rookies set that is in a box, with a stock number, and also includes a signed card that "wasn't issued" except I have it. The set was not sold as a set, but someone did sell it as a set.... I'm pretty sure it's a shop at home product, but haven't seen any others. I remember watching a few times and seeing exclusive stuff offered, but never wrote any of it down. It was also hard to tell if it was actually exclusive, or just that nobody else was offering the same stuff in quite the same format.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:32 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I really have to start writing down the odd production differences I collect, and the just odd stuff I notice.

If you think regularly issued stuff is hard, try stuff that was HSN exclsives. I have a signature rookies set that is in a box, with a stock number, and also includes a signed card that "wasn't issued" except I have it. The set was not sold as a set, but someone did sell it as a set.... I'm pretty sure it's a shop at home product, but haven't seen any others. I remember watching a few times and seeing exclusive stuff offered, but never wrote any of it down. It was also hard to tell if it was actually exclusive, or just that nobody else was offering the same stuff in quite the same format.
Steve: We get all sorts of Sig Rookies material at COMC and while we don't break down where it came from we do break down the differences. That at least is a start towards seeing the differences. Yesterday I broke down some signature card of which 1/2 are numbered to 6000 and 1/2 are numbered to 5750. I guarantee there is more of that from SR out there.

Rich
Old 05-13-2019, 12:17 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Steve: We get all sorts of Sig Rookies material at COMC and while we don't break down where it came from we do break down the differences. That at least is a start towards seeing the differences. Yesterday I broke down some signature card of which 1/2 are numbered to 6000 and 1/2 are numbered to 5750. I guarantee there is more of that from SR out there.

Rich
There's way more.

There are hockey signed promos with promo written in where the number usually goes, and individually numbered near the signature.

6000 and 5750 are pretty normal numbers, just not within the same set.

The 95 signed star squad inserts come numbered /500 or /750 and maybe others. It may be by the player, but I never saw an explanation.

You probably know about that stuff already though.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:51 PM

Thank you so much for your help
Old 05-13-2019, 07:44 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
There's way more.

There are hockey signed promos with promo written in where the number usually goes, and individually numbered near the signature.

6000 and 5750 are pretty normal numbers, just not within the same set.

The 95 signed star squad inserts come numbered /500 or /750 and maybe others. It may be by the player, but I never saw an explanation.

You probably know about that stuff already though.
I have not gotten to hockey yet. But will probably re-look at all baseball tomorrow. should be a ton of fun

I should also add those mid 1990's companies similar to Sig Rookies have similar issues.

Last edited by Rich Klein; 05-13-2019 at 08:00 PM.