NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-17-2015, 09:30 AM

Default GAI grades versus PSA/SGC

Hey All,

Normally I buy PSA, and to a lesser extent SGC (which I eventually cross). However, I'm considering my first GAI buy, as there is an auction now for a very nice, well centered Duke Snider card, for my 52 topps set. Having never bought GAI though, I'm unsure how well those cards cross over to PSA. I'd expect they tend to grade higher, so I should expect a loss when it goes to PSA. What I'm trying to figure out is how much of a loss should I expect so as to not overpay? The card is graded 8 by GAI, and it would definitely get at least 6.5 to 7 by my eye.

What has your experience been? And is GAI pretty reliable when it comes to spotting altered cards? I'd hate to buy one only to get an Altered qualifier from PSA!
Old 09-17-2015, 09:44 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianruns10 View Post
Hey All,

Normally I buy PSA, and to a lesser extent SGC (which I eventually cross). However, I'm considering my first GAI buy, as there is an auction now for a very nice, well centered Duke Snider card, for my 52 topps set. Having never bought GAI though, I'm unsure how well those cards cross over to PSA. I'd expect they tend to grade higher, so I should expect a loss when it goes to PSA. What I'm trying to figure out is how much of a loss should I expect so as to not overpay? The card is graded 8 by GAI, and it would definitely get at least 6.5 to 7 by my eye.

What has your experience been? And is GAI pretty reliable when it comes to spotting altered cards? I'd hate to buy one only to get an Altered qualifier from PSA!

I would factor in a 2 grade loss...the more high value the card, the more i woudld factor it in as theres more of a chance it was already attempted to be crossed..

I always find it interesting how the Buyer always seem to think blindly that the seller never thought the same thing as the buyer 'send to psa and get a the same or type of grade that makes the card worth more' of course the seller has already considered that....they may of purchased it themselves in the past with that in mind......

there may be risk of having the card labeled as 'trimmed' as well on the higher condiition and/or more valuable ones.

for cheap cards i can see why it wasnt worth it for the seller to get crossed ..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 09-17-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:58 AM
je.sse @rnot

If I'm considering buying a GAI graded card on ebay I always first email the seller and ask if they will allow a return in the GAI holder if I try to cross and it comes back not authentic or altered. If the seller doesn't respond, or won't allow a return at all, I just stay away.

Like Jake said, chances are someone, probably the seller and almost anyone else who has owned the card, has had the same thought and has tried to cross the card before.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:36 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The old [silver paper] GAI cards were pretty good in terms of alterations, though usually 1/2 to 1 grade too high. After they switched labels, went broke, relocated to some clown's garage in Ohio, etc., I wouldn't trust their slabs to encapsulate Garbage Pail Kids cards. If the card is in a later slab do yourself a favor and stay away from it. If it is silver, I'd not send it to PSA or SGC in the GAI slab; too much prejudice up front.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-17-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
I would factor in a 2 grade loss...the more high value the card, the more i woudld factor it in as theres more of a chance it was already attempted to be crossed..

I always find it interesting how the Buyer always seem to think blindly that the seller never thought the same thing as the buyer 'send to psa and get a the same or type of grade that makes the card worth more' of course the seller has already considered that....they may of purchased it themselves in the past with that in mind......

there may be risk of having the card labeled as 'trimmed' as well on the higher condiition and/or more valuable ones.

for cheap cards i can see why it wasnt worth it for the seller to get crossed ..
Exactly. That's my first qualm whenever buying a card of this sorts. I figure, if it could've crossed, it would've, and I figure the buyer is in so deep on the card, the only way they can hope to recoup what they've spent is to keep it in the holder, and hope some unscrupulous buyer wont' know the difference, and pay good money.

Of course I'm not that person. But it does have great eye appeal, and as the saying goes, buy the card, not the plastic.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:49 AM
Dave Foster

Bite the bullet, pay more for the same card in PSA /SGC and you can sleep nites. Why chance buying the GAI Snider that may not cross and worse, may have been whacked?
Old 09-17-2015, 11:52 AM
Da.vid Schu.lman

watch out ! bought a 1963 Topps GAI #500 Harmon Killebrew in a Legendary Auction over a year ago.graded a 9 by GAI.sent it to PSA for a crossover.card was rejected for trim.got it back and looked closely at the top.Oh ,yes,trimmed.just be careful.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:07 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleguy64 View Post
watch out ! bought a 1963 Topps GAI #500 Harmon Killebrew in a Legendary Auction over a year ago.graded a 9 by GAI.sent it to PSA for a crossover.card was rejected for trim.got it back and looked closely at the top.Oh ,yes,trimmed.just be careful.
im sure you didnt pay a psa 9 price..
Old 09-17-2015, 01:05 PM
je.sse @rnot

Here's a great example. I can't imagine owning this card and not trying to cross it, especially before selling it, unless I already knew it wouldn't cross.

But if you could cross to a PSA 9 it would be a nice return on a 5k or less investment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Bowman-...item4aea6013a1