NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-12-2012, 03:45 PM
David H.

Default The Glory of Their Times

I just finished this book and it lives up to all of the recommendations that I have seen on this board.

Question - Has anyone here thought about completing a set of all of the players who have chapters in the book?

I would think this would be a nice eclectic set that would showcase HOF's and semi-star players.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:00 PM
qualitycards

PSA actually has a registry set listing of this set, so someone must have recommended the criteria to them.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:14 PM

David

Great book. First read sometimes in early 1980's, if my recollection is right. I was young then and thought it was great. Hadn't thought of it until you mentioned it.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Peter F

hey Congrats. favorite baseball book. I own the first edition, CD's, and VHS but I passively collect photos of the players who were in the book.

Specifically I collect photos of the players as close to the year of the book as possible. Anyone have Hans Lobert shot ca. 1960s? I need most everyone but I have a soft spot for him since Larry R. said he was wasn't doing well at the time.

Anyone know of unedited audio available?

glad you enjoyed the book!
Old 02-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Frank Wakefield

Great post, David. I thought about trying to grab up one card of each of the fellows when I read the book a second time. I haven't specifically listed the players, but I think I'm close if not there. I did buy a couple of cards just because they depicted ballplayers in the book.

I love the "How dear to my heart... " poems at the beginnings of some of the chapters. Doubled to left and tripled to right is my favorite.

Get the audio cd set. You'll love it.

And if you like the era and can tolerate fiction, read The Celebrant, by Eric Rolfe Greenberg. A great read about Mathewson, the Giants, baseball, and the era.

I'd buy another set of cd's if the publishers expanded it out to more... even though it might be a bit rough, we fanatics would go for it. Maybe a bunch of us should write the publisher.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowGrove View Post
hey Congrats. favorite baseball book. I own the first edition, CD's, and VHS but I passively collect photos of the players who were in the book.

Specifically I collect photos of the players as close to the year of the book as possible. Anyone have Hans Lobert shot ca. 1960s? I need most everyone but I have a soft spot for him since Larry R. said he was wasn't doing well at the time.

Sadly, Lobert was the only player who didn't live to see the book published. He's one of my favorites. As for unedited audio, it would be a waste of time to contact the publisher, but the Hall of Fame might do something to make them available. They have the tapes and own the rights to them.
Hank Thomas
Old 02-14-2012, 08:44 AM

Default The Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowGrove View Post

Jodi B has Hans Lobert's personal The Glory of Thier Times book given to him & autographed by L Ritter shortly after publication. I thought that was a neat one of a kind item. Jodi is also a frequent poster on Net54 if anyone is interested.

Z Wheat
Old 02-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Hank Thomas

Lobert did live to see the book published, my mistake. Jimmy Austin was the only player who didn't, sadly.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Paul

Default The Glory of Their Times

I really love the book, and credit it with inspiring pre-war card collectors everywhere to have the remaining living deadball stars autograph their cards.

Rube and Sno used to respond to autograph requests by recommending that collectors buy the book:

I have a signed T206 of every T206 player that was in the book, except Lobert. Just haven't ever had the chance to buy one, although I know they exist and have a black and white scan of one.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 02-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Richard A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
I have a signed T206 of every T206 player that was in the book, except Lobert. Just haven't ever had the chance to buy one, although I know they exist and have a black and white scan of one.
Does that mean you have a T206 signed by George Gibson? If so, I would love to see a scan of it, if you're willing. Or are you talking about the original printing [as opposed to the 1984 re-issue that, according to wikipedia, was expanded to include Gibson and 3 others]?

Either way, your signed T206 collection rocks, as does this book

Regards,

Richard.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:24 AM
J@RR0D

The audio version of this book is simply wonderful.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Belltown Vintage

Still makes me sick that I got rid of this:

Last edited by Runscott; 12-29-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
The audio version of this book is simply wonderful.
+1. There are a few copies of the LP record on ebay at reasonable prices.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqUOKpYE5c1DIrczBOinPVTcig~~60_3.jpg (75.2 KB, 88 views)
Old 02-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_collector View Post
Does that mean you have a T206 signed by George Gibson? If so, I would love to see a scan of it, if you're willing. Or are you talking about the original printing [as opposed to the 1984 re-issue that, according to wikipedia, was expanded to include Gibson and 3 others]?
I do not include the 1984 re-issue. It would be great if I had a Gibson, but I've never even heard of one.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 02-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Richard A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
I do not include the 1984 re-issue. It would be great if I had a Gibson, but I've never even heard of one.
Well that's unfortunate. I have never heard of one either, but sure would love to see one. Of course, the up side of this is that I still don't have to come to terms with knowing one exists that I'll never own

Thanks for the response.

Richard.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:15 PM

Default Have not seen an autographed Gibson T206

Richard,

I also have never seen a George Gibson autographed T206.

Patrick
Old 02-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Richard A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post
Richard,

I also have never seen a George Gibson autographed T206.

Patrick
Patrick,

From what I've seen of your collection, you've locked up some not-so-common Gibson stuff [presumably a function of the number of years you've been collecting them]. If anyone had seen an auto'd Gibson other than T206Collector, I'd have been banking on you.

Thanks for chiming in!

Regards,

Richard.