NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-07-2011, 05:33 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Default Ebay Selling Experience...

I sold a 1933 Goudey Dizzy Dean PSA 3 on 10/2/2011 and it arrived at the buyer's residence on 10/6/2011. Today, I received this message in my ebay messages:

"Hello, I received the dizzy dean card that I ordered from you, but the item is not as described. On the page it was listed as like new, with all facets intact and flawless. I examined the PSA card case upon receipt and noticed evidence of tampering, including, white frosting in color along the top and upper right side of the case. The plastic pins appear to have been replaced with dabs of glue. I will gladly pay for the return shipping, but I can't take a chance on a card this expensive. Thank you."

Would a criminal even do this to a card for this price and wouldn't the grade contradict the card's appearance or be inauthentic if a criminal tampered with the PSA case? I HATE the idea of tampering and/or misrepresentation.

I replied:

Dear sai81,
"Tampered PSA case? Are you saying I tampered with that PSA case? Calling me a criminal? Glue? You're kidding right. You may send it back, and I'll refund your money once I receive it and find that it is in the same condition I shipped it in. I'll be glad to have that card back."

This was the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230669106381...84.m1559.l2649

The card:

Old 10-07-2011, 05:45 PM
David M.

You said:
"Would a criminal even do this to a card for this price and wouldn't the grade contradict the card's appearance or be inauthentic if a criminal tampered with the PSA case? I HATE the idea of tampering and/or misrepresentation."

The short answer is YES. Unfortunately, I think you're about to get your card case back, cracked open, with a reprint in place of the card you sent to this guy. I hope I'm wrong, but let us know what you get back.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:50 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Well crap, I haven't even thought about from that view point yet, was wondering if a seller would do that with a card in this range. The whole dang thing doesn't make sense. He'll pay return shipping and call me a criminal at the same time? Thank you?
Old 10-07-2011, 06:04 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Did the buyer have a lot of feedback or just a few?
Old 10-07-2011, 06:18 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

sai81 (27)

twenty-seven total and none for a while until October 1
Old 10-07-2011, 06:32 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

It's looking bad for you as the previous poster stated. There's a decent chance that the buyer will be the one who will be tampering w/ your card and claiming that you did it. Hopefully someone else will chime in w/ some advice, but you might want to post this question on the PSA boards. There are a lot of ebay sellers on that site who often give advice for things like these. My first thought is to contact ebay support and see what your options are here. Not sure if there is something better to do.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Alan U

I hope you get the same card back.

A couple of years ago I had the same thing happen with a card I had just gotten graded with PSA, fortunately, I received the same card back. I always assumed the buyer thought he could flip it quickly for a profit at a show or with someone he knew, and then when it didn't pan out wanted to return it. Hopefully something like that is the case here too.

-Alan
Old 10-07-2011, 06:52 PM

Best case is he actually thinks this case may have been tampered or he just has a case of buyer's remorse. Worst case is you're dealing with a scammer who wants your card for free. If he paid you through Paypal and files a SNAD claim, he'll get his money back either way and all you can do is hope that he sends you back your card in the condition that you sent it out in. Based on my experience, I think you'll find ebay customer support less than helpful if this guy decides to rip you off.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:12 PM

Greg,

If I were you, I would open up his package in front of the Postal workers in your home town. Also bring a camera to take a picture of it immediately. By doing this, you have a federal worker there to vouch for you if the buyer is trying to scam you. So if he did switch the card, you have an impartial federal worker to back you up on the PayPal appeal.

Hopefully, none of this will happen. But you should at least be prepared.

Cy