NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-28-2014, 07:31 PM

Default New Member

Just wanted to say hello.

I have been on the BO boards for quite some time, but have gotten away from modern as of late ... well except my obsession with 90's inserts

Anyhow, hoping to learn from some of the best.

Really interested in starting to collect some more vintage baseball, and while I know a decent amount about post war I am really hoping to get some insight to pre-war cards.

Mike
Old 10-28-2014, 07:39 PM
Scott Ti3k

Welcome aboard! You have found one of the best online forums on the net, a bunch of great people here! Enjoy!

Scott
Old 10-28-2014, 07:40 PM
Kenny Cole

Welcome. If you can't learn here, you can't learn anywhere. There are so many people on this board who can address questions on almost any pre-war issue that I would be surprised if you could ask a question that would stump everyone. That's pretty special. Best,

Kenny
Old 10-28-2014, 07:57 PM

Default Welcome!

try on a T206 for size....you won't be dissapointed

peace

Johny
Old 10-28-2014, 08:01 PM
Justin Burleson

Welcome!
Old 10-28-2014, 08:32 PM

I recognize you hopefully you recognize me

Good luck
10 T206s

Last edited by Matvoo; 10-28-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:32 PM
Barry Arnold

Default newbie

welcome aboard the board!
all the best,
barry
Old 10-28-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matvoo View Post
I recognize you hopefully you recognize me

Good luck
Yes, yes I do. I 'know' and have dealt with a few guys here who are also on other boards !
Old 10-28-2014, 08:57 PM
qualitycards

Mike welcome aboard
Old 10-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Jesse

Welcome aboard if ur looking for 90's inserts lmk I have thousands haha. Def love to move them all haha.

You will def will learn a ton on here it's amazing the knowledge people have on here on sports memorabilia.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:26 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
Just wanted to say hello.

I have been on the BO boards for quite some time, but have gotten away from modern as of late ... well except my obsession with 90's inserts

Anyhow, hoping to learn from some of the best.

Really interested in starting to collect some more vintage baseball, and while I know a decent amount about post war I am really hoping to get some insight to pre-war cards.

Mike
Welcome to the other side, friend : )
Old 10-29-2014, 06:03 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Welcome! You have come to the right place! What are u interested in collecting?
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:24 AM
Doug Doremus

Default Welcome aboard!

And good luck.

You've come to the right place.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
Welcome! You have come to the right place! What are u interested in collecting?
Well therein lies part of the problem ... actually my biggest problem. I am really not 100% sure, I just know that I like the old T style cards, and some of the other pre-50's cards, but my knowledge is not good enough to feel comfortable buying anything raw. Unfortunatly, I do not have the budget that will allow me to buy high grade cards of everything I want to collect either.

My biggest challenge is always choosing what to focus on, and then not losing that focus to jump to something else that catches my eye and spreading myself too thing to really ever get anywhere.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Well therein lies part of the problem ... actually my biggest problem. I am really not 100% sure, I just know that I like the old T style cards, and some of the other pre-50's cards, but my knowledge is not good enough to feel comfortable buying anything raw. Unfortunatly, I do not have the budget that will allow me to buy high grade cards of everything I want to collect either.

My biggest challenge is always choosing what to focus on, and then not losing that focus to jump to something else that catches my eye and spreading myself too thing to really ever get anywhere.
I suggest you consider type card collecting. It is literally anything you want it to be. I never could pick one thing and have always liked variety so it is perfect. If you want to get a good look at most cards from 1900-1949 go to OldCardboard or my personal site, which has a pretty good list with pics too...... (luckeycards.com). Take your time and collect what you enjoy, not what others think you should do. Do remember that vintage collecting is a journey and most, or a lot of, the fun is in the journey itself.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:53 AM

Maybe it's the sinus infection breaking my brain, but what is type card collecting?
Old 10-29-2014, 11:10 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Quote:
Maybe it's the sinus infection breaking my brain, but what is type card collecting?

Type card is buying one of each type of card. You can make your own, by chasing team, HoF, guys named Bill, and so on.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:57 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Hello Mike

Enjoy the site and the hobby!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-29-2014, 12:37 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewing View Post
Type card is buying one of each type of card. You can make your own, by chasing team, HoF, guys named Bill, and so on.
Yeap, Like Brent says, it can be anything you want but generically it is 1 card from each set instead of collecting the whole set. For me, I include one of each back, in most sets, to make it more interesting. And there are an infinite amount of derivatives you can spin off of that "one of each" focus.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Yeap, Like Brent says, it can be anything you want but generically it is 1 card from each set instead of collecting the whole set. For me, I include one of each back, in most sets, to make it more interesting. And there are an infinite amount of derivatives you can spin off of that "one of each" focus.
Thanks guys. Maybe I'll start doing this with Red Sox players.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikidEFFL View Post
Welcome aboard if ur looking for 90's inserts lmk I have thousands haha. Def love to move them all haha.

You will def will learn a ton on here it's amazing the knowledge people have on here on sports memorabilia.
Have any Nomar or Pedro?

Also interested in Crusades, PMG's, Star Rubies, etc, etc.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:25 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:

Id suggest going with what u like, sounds like u like t cards.... The t205's are beautiful id give them a look, deff a fun set to work on, hofers, sp's minorleaguers, a varierity of different backs and some rare backs as well, etc,etc.

Good luck with what ever u choose!
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 10-29-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:54 PM

Default trust me on this....

T206 rarities
Old 10-29-2014, 11:34 PM
Bill Gregory

Welcome to the forum, Mike. I'd always been a modern collector myself up until about two years ago. I've always been interested in the history of the game, and since I knew a lot about the golden era of baseball, and I had an interest in vintage cards, I jumped in. About the same time, I also began investigating pre-war. I love them both, and now modern card collecting, while still a part of my collecting going forward, is a much smaller part. I certainly prefer the pre-war and vintage to modern, and I'll never go back to my old ways.

If you do decide to investigate pre-war cards, take some time to learn about the technology used to print cards back then. It's important to learn so you can identify authentic cards from reprints. When you decide to start looking at that, ask us for help. If you send me a message (and refresh my memory that you're looking to learn about pre-war), I'd be more than happy to help you.

Regardless of what you do-vintage, pre war, or a little of both, there are a few things you should get. You may already have them having collected modern. If not, spend a little bit now, as these items will help protect you in the long run.

You need a nice jeweler's loupe. I use a Bausch & Lomb one. It cost me under $20. You want to use a reputable company if you can, as I've found they have better quality control when it comes to optics. You can certainly find loupes for a little less, and sometimes they will be good. But the wuality tends to be a little all over the place. You want 10 x magnification. Any more than that is overkill, unless you're looking to go in on a portable microscope. As you'll learn from reading David Cycleback's excellent book on Judging the authenticity of pre-1930s baseball cards, portable microscopes help you look at cards in a way that will leave no doubt about when a card was printed. You don't need to get into that now, but you might go in on a microscope a little later. They aren't super expensive, either.

You want a good black light. A good black light, paired with a good loupe, will help you see just about any flaw that exists on a card, as well as any alteration that might have been done. If a card has been recolored, or if a card has had black marker cover up white "chips" on card edges (like on the famous 1971 Topps cards with their black borders). If paper has been added, you'll see that, too. The loupe is used more to look at the card's surface in detail, as well as corners and edges. If a card has been trimmed, you will be able to see the trim using a loupe to look at the edge. You can see more on that by reading the "detecting card alterations and reprints" link at the top of the page. That's a great primer.

You also want a good led light source to examine cards. A good ruler is a big help, too. If you're going to submit cards for grading, you might want to invest in some Card Savers. I buy both Card Saver Is and IIs (made by Cardboard Gold). Depending on how you will store your cards, you'll want to get some penny sleeves, top loaders and team bags (I love Ultra Pros stuff, personally). If you are going the box route, there are several good options. You can get boxes from your local card shop. I also like Bags Unlimited for archival supplies. I've found their bags are great for graded cards where the slabs are larger (like for T202s). If you're looking for something beyond the cardboard box, MJ Rupp boxes are outstanding if you can find them on eBay. The company went out of company a few years back. But A Box Company makes the same boxes. I love them. They offer the same boxes Rupp did, with the individual single row removable inserts inside either a wooden box, or a chipboard box. The Chipboard Boxes are about $45. The wooden boxes $90. Their website provides information on the different slabs, and how many will fit (ie SGC, Beckett and PSA). If you're a binder guy, Ultra Pro makes some great padded D ring binders. And I would never use any sheets but the Ultra Pro Platinum line. There are likely other manufacturers that are just as good, but I know Ultra Pro has exceptional quality control. I've lost track of how many one touch magnet cases I've bought of theirs (the gold magnet 35 point for my Bowman Chrome prospect autos. Those have UV protection). Their pennny sleeves and top loaders are outstanding. And they released their magnet case bags a few months back. They're a better fit than the old graded card bags I used to use.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Good luck, and have fun!

Bill

BTW, some of those websites I mentioned:

http://www.cycleback.com/baseballcards/
https://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-341-trading-card.aspx
http://aboxfactory.com/

David's book on pre-1930s baseball cards is available on his website for free. I provided a link to it above. You can also buy it on Amazon, and I'm sure other online stores like Barnes And Noble. The reason I am linking it now is it provides some useful information on black light. Eventually, you'll really want to read this. If you want to get a head start, it can't hurt you to learn it now. I love the book.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:36 PM
Bill Gregory

Oof, by the way, you have my sympathy. I get bad sinus infections, at least once a year. When I don't get an infection, my allergies still trigger migraines. They just suck, there's no nice way to put it. I hope you feel better soon.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:10 PM

Wow, thanks for some great info. As a mostly modern collector, I'm familiar with most of that stuff, but I'll definitely be checking out the book. Also, on a side note, when I decided to get into vintage a while back I bought like 2 cases of card savers ... I have thousands. Not sure why I thought I needed so many I think the original intention was to open some 70's packs and submit for grading.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Christ0pher C@ssidy

Welcome aboard, Mike.

There are a lot of great insights to pick-up in this forum. Beware though...the prewar cards can become quite addictive.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:40 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

Welcome aboard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk