NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 11-08-2018, 06:33 PM
Ben North

Default First snowfall

We got our first dusting of snow today. Didn't this stuff just melt from last winter. Time sure flies when you get older.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snow.jpg (79.5 KB, 177 views)
Old 11-08-2018, 07:01 PM
Banned

you got a lot of snow. totally covered fred and lamont's truck.

Last edited by RedsFan1941; 11-08-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:09 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
you got a lot of snow. totally covered fred and lamont's truck.
LOL, the one in the pic is a 1950. Fred's a 1951. It is my brothers pickup, I am using it to move some stuff. It looks beat now but about 30 years ago it had a complete frame off restoration.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:50 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

My gosh, you have paved roads.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 11-08-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:29 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Tell more about the truck and post more pics! I don't care about the snow due to where I live. 🌅🌴
Old 11-09-2018, 08:06 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
We got our first dusting of snow today. Didn't this stuff just melt from last winter. Time sure flies when you get older.
It just started snowing here today for the first time this fall. Other parts of Ontario have received some decent amounts but all has melted now.

Only suppose to be +2 to +3 celcius this weekend and I don't even have snow tires put on any of the vehicles yet!

Our fall, so far, has been colder, windier and rainier than most falls in the past which has really screwed me up for getting things done.

I managed to get the front lawn raked yesterday but my backyard is still full.
A lot of trees around here still haven't even shed their leaves yet!

Nice truck, btw, Ben. Is that a 4x4 or does it just sit higher than normal.

I have a 74 Monte Carlo that has sat in my garage for over 15 years now. I cooked the engine that long ago and never got around to looking at it again due to having kids and everything else associated with that.
I am hoping either next year, or the year after that, when I am fully retired to get back at it again.
It's going to cost some bucks but at least I should have the time, I hope?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 003 (Large).jpg (67.1 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 005 (Large).jpg (69.5 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 002 (Large).jpg (72.3 KB, 147 views)
Old 11-09-2018, 10:32 AM
Peter Spaeth

The Springsteen line comes to mind: And I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:16 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Dale that's a fantastic Monte!
Old 11-09-2018, 03:59 PM

Snowed here, about and inch maybe 45 minutes south of Minneapolis. I guess people forgot how to drive in the snow, so there were lots of accidents.

That '74 Monte is cool! I had a '75 in high school. Lots of fun in that car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
It just started snowing here today for the first time this fall. Other parts of Ontario have received some decent amounts but all has melted now.

Only suppose to be +2 to +3 celcius this weekend and I don't even have snow tires put on any of the vehicles yet!

Our fall, so far, has been colder, windier and rainier than most falls in the past which has really screwed me up for getting things done.

I have a 74 Monte Carlo that has sat in my garage for over 15 years now. I cooked the engine that long ago and never got around to looking at it again due to having kids and everything else associated with that.
I am hoping either next year, or the year after that, when I am fully retired to get back at it again.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:31 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Tell more about the truck and post more pics! I don't care about the snow due to where I live. 🌅🌴
I will post a few pics this weekend. The truck is my younger brothers. I believe he bought the 2 trucks when he was a sophomore in HS. It took him about a year to do a complete rebuild in my house. Seriously, I lived in a crappy old trailer house with a wood addition built on the side of it. We cut a door into the front of the addition and he rebuilt the truck in there.

The body is a 1950 Ford and the frame/running gear is a mid-70's Ford 4X4 Camper Special. He put a new crate 351CI engine in it. Because the newer truck has a longer frame he built the storage box between the cab and box so the wheels lined up with the wheel wells. This thing was like brand new when he was done. He kinda drove it for a few years but mostly just sets in his driveway. It has just over 16,000 miles on it since the complete restoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post

Nice car Dale, one of my best friends had a blue 74 Monte Carlo in HS.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvor View Post
Snowed here, about and inch maybe 45 minutes south of Minneapolis. I guess people forgot how to drive in the snow, so there were lots of accidents.

One of the worst blizzards I ever drove in was from Des Moines to Minneapolis going to the 1991 Super Bowl. Could not get a flight into anyplace closer than Des Moines. Wasn't too bad right out of Des Moines but quickly deteriorated. Blinding snow when it came straight at you. Trucks flying by, completely indifferent to the conditions. I was driving, my brother's sitting next to me drinking beer, I'm scared shitless, he says just go straight there's no curves in the road.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:56 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
One of the worst blizzards I ever drove in was from Des Moines to Minneapolis going to the 1991 Super Bowl. Could not get a flight into anyplace closer than Des Moines. Wasn't too bad right out of Des Moines but quickly deteriorated. Blinding snow when it came straight at you. Trucks flying by, completely indifferent to the conditions. I was driving, my brother's sitting next to me drinking beer, I'm scared shitless, he says just go straight there's no curves in the road.
Sounds like a fun road trip Peter.

I did something very similar. In 2000 I was making my first trip to Europe. It is a 300 mile drive from here to MSP to catch our flight. A blizzard come out of nowhere the night before we had our flight and was supposed to last for 12+ hours. So we left that night and it took us all of that 12 hours to drive 300 miles. It was scary as hell and really fun at the same time.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Should have stuck around a few months. Halloween '91 is one we still talk about.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Should have stuck around a few months. Halloween '91 is one we still talk about.
Boston is cold enough, thank you. I've never been so cold as every time I stepped outside that weekend. As I recall it was maybe a block from the end of that indoor walkway system (VERY cool by the way) to the stadium and it was a near death experience. I think I got frostbite going from the parking lot of the art museum to the entrance. LOL.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:19 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:

That happened every year in WI too. You'd think people would remember to slow down. I definitely don't miss the snow out here in socal.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:46 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

I've seen fire and I've seen rain,

but more of the former recently.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:50 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Jesse I believe the same rule of thumb applies in SoCal when it comes to driving in rain ( as opposed to snow ), as infrequent as rain may be here......
Old 11-11-2018, 04:38 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Here is 3 more pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck1.jpg (49.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg truck2.jpg (57.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg truck3.jpg (66.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 11-12-2018, 12:44 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Here is 3 more pics.
That's so fun!
Old 11-12-2018, 03:31 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

On the left, what winter always was for me...on the right, what winter looks like now...

winterbeforeafter.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:51 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
On the left, what winter always was for me...on the right, what winter looks like now...

Attachment 334016
Nice change Darren. I am a year or 2 away from doing the same.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:17 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post

Attachment 334016
Looks familiar. Although quite a few people I know out here are either leaving or want to leave due to CA politics and the high cost of homes. Idaho seems to be a popular destination of late.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:42 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Dale that's a fantastic Monte!
Thanks Lou.

Quote:

Thanks Silvor.

Quote:
I will post a few pics this weekend. The truck is my younger brothers. I believe he bought the 2 trucks when he was a sophomore in HS. It took him about a year to do a complete rebuild in my house. Seriously, I lived in a crappy old trailer house with a wood addition built on the side of it. We cut a door into the front of the addition and he rebuilt the truck in there.

The body is a 1950 Ford and the frame/running gear is a mid-70's Ford 4X4 Camper Special. He put a new crate 351CI engine in it. Because the newer truck has a longer frame he built the storage box between the cab and box so the wheels lined up with the wheel wells. This thing was like brand new when he was done. He kinda drove it for a few years but mostly just sets in his driveway. It has just over 16,000 miles on it since the complete restoration.

Nice car Dale, one of my best friends had a blue 74 Monte Carlo in HS.
Thanks Ben, and thanks for sharing more pics of your truck.