NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-07-2003, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Default Does anyone have a list of the sets that have been reprinted?

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

...and how to tell the reprints from the originals?
I saw a Weil Baking card being sold as a reprint:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2734508176

I do not recall having seen a "fake" Weil before, and I looked at the seller's other items and saw a variety of other reprints. I would really value a resource, such as a list or website, that identified all known set reprints and forgeries, and hope someone can help.
regards...............Todd

P.S. Larry Fritsch sells dozens of reprint sets, so I keep his website bookmarked:
http://www.fritschcards.com/pages/reprints.html

It's the other reprints that worry me--any info appreciated.

Old 06-07-2003, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

I got burned by him a couple months ago on a Sporting News card. Since then I have followed him on ebay and he has repeatedly tried to sell fakes as original.

This is the first time I have I have ever seen him list that what he is selling is not original.

Old 06-07-2003, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

The problem is that anyone who owns a halfway decent computer printer can make a new reprint, so relying on known reprinted issues isn't reliable.

QUICK TIP OF THE DAY (relates to this offered eBay card)

Never buy online a high end old trading card, CDV or cabinet card that has obviously clipped corners that the seller describes as ‘natural corner wear.’ It’s a good bet the card is a counterfeit.

Some counterfeiters use their home computer printers to make reprints of expensive old cards. They will usually try to make the item look old, typically by staining and roughing it up. Apparently, one of the most difficult things for the home counterfeiter is to make corners that look naturally and evenly rounded as if by age. They often diagonally clip off the corners with a scissors and rough it up a bit. Despite the best attempts, the corners can remain obviously clipped.

Some genuine items do have clipped corners, but a legitimate seller won’t mistake it for natural rounding.

Old 06-07-2003, 12:40 PM
Administrator

One other 'Quick tip', and it amazes me when people break this rule (and they do):

If a seller is offering a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle or T206 Ty Cobb or 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan, and the seller says it's a reprint: Beleive him.

Old 06-07-2003, 01:19 PM
Administrator

"it amazes me when people break this rule (and they do):"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=642&item=2734534022

Because he/she didn't take the seller at his word, someone is going to end up with a very expensive home computer print vintage to, oh, about last Thursday.

Old 06-07-2003, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

This guy sure seems to have spent a lot of money on fakes. But for some reason, I doubt it. Or maybe he is Kooz' brother.

Jay

Old 06-07-2003, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B. Hodes

Unfortunately it may be easier to list the sets that have NOT been reprinted.
Also, as noted above, many cards have also (and will continue to be) counterfitted by computers and scanners. Counterfited cards unlike reprints are NOT autorized copies and theoretically any card could be counterfitted using various web sites including EBAY and the Library of Congress.
That said only a small group of Old Judges have been reprinted (by Fritch) and only a few different T202s have been reprinted (by Upper Deck with Holograms and by Dover). Also I think that only the 1915 Cracker Jack set has been fully reprinted not the 1914 set. Unfortunately the differences between 14s and 15s are only evident on the backs. The Mayos reprints generally do not have Black Backs like the originals although a crafty evildoer can make the backs looks legit rather easily.

Old 06-08-2003, 12:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

and ALL say the same thing, that he thought he got a real deal on the card but it could be a reprint, blah, blah, blah. I was intrigued by the M116 Cobb but he refused to answer any email questions on why he thought it might be a reprint. The colors look a little off. You wonder why someone would crease, crush corners and badly trim a reprint card.....

Old 06-08-2003, 01:40 AM
Administrator

In case anyone doesn't take the seller's word, take mine: ALL OF THE SELLER'S CARDS ARE REPRINTS. If anyone doesn't beleive me and wishes to prove me wrong, I welcome him or her to buy one of the cards (preferably one of the expensive ones).

Old 06-08-2003, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Has the M116 set ever been reprinted? I know it doesn't matter with all the new technology for making reprints and copies, but I was just wondering...

Old 06-29-2003, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: tom mcconnell

according to fritch no it has not been reprinted i called them 2 weeks ago

Old 06-30-2003, 01:28 PM
Administrator

It looks like the seller of the fake M116 Wagner had hs auction halted and he was booted off ebay. I guess enough of us complained to ebay. I am sure he'll find a way to get back on under another user id, but for the moment it is a victory.