NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2022, 08:23 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I never argued that the card was going to zero, just only that I question if its a great investment at this point. The huge run up in the market the last couple of years, as far as I can tell, has been fueled by new blood (and wealthy new blood) trying to get culturally significant stuff that has broad appeal. Babe Ruth first and foremost. Jackie. Jordan. Mantle. Jeter. Clemente. Icons like that. Yes, the rising tide has lifted almost all boats. I just question if there is going to be steadily increasing demand for cards of people that, well, maybe 99.6% of true die hard baseball fans (who don't collect) have never heard of. I seriously doubt it, but time will tell. An error card is an anomaly. I get the appeal. I used to collect stamps. Error issues are huge. I just think the interest level in things like the Magie error card is limited to a much smaller circle of people than you'd imagine from reading this board.

For sure- once all the people who grew up watching him play die off I think the card will lose a ton of cultural relevance.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 01-12-2022, 08:35 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I would love to add a Magie to my Piedmont portrait run, there's only 250 of them, that makes the hunt fun. What do I care what it's worth when I die, that's my kids problem.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-12-2022, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
for sure- once all the people who grew up watching him play die off i think the card will lose a ton of cultural relevance.
+1000.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:12 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Now now....

Quote:
For sure- once all the people who grew up watching him play die off I think the card will lose a ton of cultural relevance.
Pete,

I still remember that 1910 season where he won the batting title. My dad got so mad after buying me that season's pass when I promptly skipped all of 11th grade to see the games! To be fair I looked older than I was so I did not stand out.

Lived at 2601 North Broad Street, Philadelphia PA so the park was a stone's throw away. Still get mail forwarded from that address inexplicably?

Weird!

I hope I'm not the only one left? Sherry toast to Mr. Magee......or is it Magie?

Damn!

Last edited by vthobby; 01-12-2022 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:50 PM
Steve Birmingham

To sort of address the question more seriously.

I've been into a bunch more hobbies, and have seen things work different ways.

In most hobbies, there has been time when it had some degree of popularity.
And "high prices" to go along with that popularity.
For most hobbies, as the popularity fades, so do the prices. And along with that the availability of the better items also vanishes.

I suspect there's a price level after which a hobby becomes a bit more stable.
Portions of the hobby will see popularity surges and retreats, but the overall hobby will remain.
Another big part of that is how easily people can cross over from one area of the hobby to another.
Also, how old the hobby is.

Glass telephone/telegraph insulators were "big" in the early 70's. The common stuff was sellable even in rough condition, and the good stuff just kept getting better.
Now? The cheap common stuff is at 1970's pricing, but only if it's in great condition. The price is basically the nuisance cost of dragging a boxful to a place where someone might buy them.
But the good ones have done pretty well, just nowhere near as well as cards.

In bikes, at one time it was mostly about the 30's -50's balloon tire bikes. Schwinn Phantom, Bowden spacelander, and Evinrude. All became pretty expensive, but as the people who wanted them got theirs and some older collectors died out, there was less demand. Those bikes are still pricy, but not as crazy as they were (except maybe evinrude, I haven't even seen one in years)
But early high end BMX stuff? That's been going crazy for a few years now. Same for the stuff I collect, or did until they became too expensive.

But in a few years, both those areas will fade a bit. The crossover in both interest and knowledge is difficult.

That's not really true for cards. Crossing over between modern/postwar/prewar is fairly easy. And the sport while it has changed is essentially the same sport.

And there's a lot more money in the hobby, which surprisingly keeps things relatively stable.

I think the Magie will be a "good" card for quite some time into the future.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:19 PM

Default T206 "Magie" Error Prices

enjoy reading everyone opinions and insight. I was inclined to ask this question because when I look at VCP prices it appears prices on this card have not risen like some others or to the degree of other more popular mainstream cards, depending on the grade. Definitely a great key card to own, but maybe the fact that "Magee" is not a HOFer and it being an "error" card limits its upside potential or maybe its over-looked?

Last edited by investinrookies; 01-14-2022 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by investinrookies View Post
enjoy reading everyone opinions and insight. I was inclined to ask this question because when I look at VCP prices it appears prices on this card have not risen like some others or to the degree of other more popular mainstream cards, depending on the grade. Definitely a great key card to own, but maybe the fact that "Magee" is not a HOFer and it being an "error" card limits its upside potential or maybe its over-looked?
All good points...
Old 01-18-2022, 08:59 PM
P.aul Orl,in

Quote:

Seems reasonable, though as I mentioned earlier, on the PSA pop charts, only 7 out of 112 are above a 4 vg-ex. So not many high end specimens exist and have traded. Many of the recent auctions are graded 1 to 3. Might need increasing prices of higher end specimens to pull up the lesser graded (and more numerous) ones more?

Last edited by puckpaul; 01-19-2022 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckpaul View Post
Seems reasonable, though as I mentioned earlier, on the PSA pop charts, only 7 out of 112 are above a 4 vg-ex. So not many high end specimens exist and have traded. Many of the recent auctions are graded 1 to 3. Might need increasing prices if higher end specimens to pull up the more common ones?

That’s an interesting point and makes a lot of since. I didn’t realize it was so rare in higher grades. Wonder how that compares to the plank for example?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2022, 06:55 AM

There is a decent looking 3 in heritage, currently sitting at $24k. Let’s see how that shakes out. I bought my psa 3 over 5 years ago for just over $21k. I paid a record at the time bc it is a great looking example. If/when I ever go to sell it, I will absolutely make my money back and I almost certainly will make money. To me, that’s all I can really ask for in a card - minimal downside with real upside potential, and I think the Magie error fits that billing well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 226220E5-BC62-406F-825E-A651625DFE8F.jpg (10.2 KB, 602 views)
Old 01-19-2022, 08:22 AM
James M

Quote:
That’s an interesting point and makes a lot of since. I didn’t realize it was so rare in higher grades. Wonder how that compares to the plank for example?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
here is the combined PSA and SGC pop report

There are a total of 214 Magie's graded between PSA and SGC (and likely less, because a few of those are probably crossovers) and 115 Planks.

Of those, 15% of the Magies are either a 4 or higher, while 24% of the Planks are 4 or higher.

47% of the Magies are either an A, 1, 1.5 or 2, compared to 56% of the Planks.

The most common grade for the Plank is an A (25 out of 115, or 22%) and the most common grade for the Magie is a 1 (64 out of 214, or 30%)
Old 01-22-2022, 02:18 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Babe Ruth died when I was 11 months old. I’m not feeling well today. Time to sell your Ruth cards before the market plummets.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:20 PM
P.aul Orl,in

Considering Goldin sold a 2013 Spiderman for $132k and a Serena Willliams for $55k, i think Magie is considerably cheap! Are those prices even real?