NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-22-2017, 11:39 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Help with a Piedmont Sign

Hi Guys:

I am lost when it comes to most pre war stuff, but a friend who is not too computer literate asked me for some help, so I am turning to collectors in the know.

He turned up an old Piedmont sign. While he could not send me a photo to see condition, I was able to find a photo online of another one like his.

See below. His porcelain sign is 9" x 18". Assuming his sign is in "nice" shape, better than the one shown, what kind of value is attached to something like this?

Any info would be greatly appreciated as to year, value etc.

Thanks,

Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Piedmont 9x18.jpg (79.7 KB, 269 views)
Old 01-23-2017, 05:38 AM
Matt

Here's a recent sale of one .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (64.6 KB, 251 views)

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 01-23-2017, 06:50 AM
Archive

Hi Fred

If you could get a little more information about your friend's sign it would be helpful.

Dimensions - 9"x18" (This we know)

Color Scheme - Dark blue background with white letters or white background with dark blue letters? This is important. From my research the white background versions are not as common.

Advertising slogan - What is the slogan on your friend's sign? Notice that the sign you posted has a different slogan than the sign Matt posted.

I am by no means an expert on these signs, but I have done some research on them.

Jantz
Old 01-23-2017, 09:32 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Piedmont Sign

Hi Jantz:

From the info I got from my friend his sign is exactly like the photo I posted. He and I went through various images online and he said this one is it.

Matt must not have understood that there are many different versions in size, wording etc.

It seems just by research that there are less out there with the wording and size of the one I posted than the larger ones and others with more wording. Have you found this in your research?

I would agree with you about the white background being tougher to find.

So, assume the one in my post is what my friend has, what can you tell me about it, not knowing condition?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Fred
Old 01-23-2017, 09:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hey Fred
I follow signs, tobacco card related, just a little bit. I will make some guesses from what I have seen and if there is an expert that knows the absolute answers, he or she can correct me. I think the sign is from the early 1900s (to about 1930'ish) and the value, if in nice shape and porcelain, should be in the $100-$200 value range. I have seen some more elaborate ones which I think would go for more. If it is double sided it will be worth more. I've seen quite a few different varieties with all of them being blue with white lettering (that I can remember). There are vintage chairs with the same designs. Hopefully they aren't made out of porcelain too.
Hope this helps a little bit. BTW, ebay or an AH would be a good place to sell (or our BST ) if he wants to go the sales route.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:32 PM
Jimmy

This is mostly likely 1920s looking at the colors of the white and blue text, I almost bought the chair a month ago that dates from the teens and have had similar signs - somewhat common and signs at least tobacco related have gone down in price. Colored litho ads do much better right now - but Leon's price is about right, on a good day you could find this type of sign for 50.00

Good Luck

Jimmy
Old 01-23-2017, 06:55 PM
Archive

Fred

I would agree with others on the value being between $100-$200.

Some sizes of signs you don't see as many, much like your friend's sign (9"x18") as well as the 11"x20" signs.

I do like the fact that it says "The Cigarette of Quality". I think that appeals more to the T206 collectors since it has the same advertising slogan as on the backs of T206s.

Either way it was a nice find by your friend.

Hope this helps

Jantz
Old 01-24-2017, 09:10 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default decent sign

1920,s - value in slightly better condition - 75.-100.. Because chipping is so common on these type signs - likely a clean one would bring upwards of 150.. Current values/interest in the mostly middle of the road material is down like most of things in the collectible realm.

The sign on the fairly common piedmont chairs is indeed porcelain.

no guarantees whether written or implied.....