NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-21-2017, 11:27 AM
Rob

Default ONE OF A KIND 1912 Red Sox "FAN KID" pinback?

A fellow collector sent me something from a third party collector who I don't know. I believe the third party has a chance to purchase the pin below. The pin is featured in the book shown. I've copied and pasted a brief description of the book as well as the author's description of this pin. I wish I had a picture of the reverse but don't (at this time). What do you guys think? I've never seen anything remotely like this.

A History of Boston in 50 Artifacts
Joseph M. Bagley

History is right under our feet; we just need to dig a little to find it. Though not the most popular construction project, Boston’s Big Dig has contributed more to our understanding and appreciation of the city’s archaeological history than any other recent event. Joseph M. Bagley, city archaeologist of Boston, uncovers a fascinating hodgepodge of history—from ancient fishing grounds to Jazz Age red-light districts—that will surprise and delight even longtime residents. Each artifact is shown in full color and accompanied by description of the item’s significance to its site location and the larger history of the city. From cannonballs to drinking cups and from ancient spears to chinaware, A History of Boston in 50 Artifacts offers a unique and accessible introduction to Boston’s history and physical culture while revealing the ways objects can offer a tantalizing entrée into our past.

description of the pin:

During the archaeological excavations in front of the Dillaway-Thomas house in Roxbury, archaeologists uncovered a small piece of cast white metal shown in the main photo. This was a pin made by the Red Sox organization and given to children who were fans of the team. The pin measures only about one inch in length, and when it was complete, it was a pseudo-humanoid figure consisting of a baseball face, a body made of catcher’s pads, and arms and legs composed of crossed baseball bats. One surviving example with a brightly painted surface has survived, with the date 1912 on the lower portion. This “FAN KID” pin was likely given out in celebration of a Red Sox win or the opening of the new stadium.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-02-20 22.11.27.jpg (93.3 KB, 438 views)
File Type: jpg 41wxhnxCX8L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (16.3 KB, 437 views)

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 02-21-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:12 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

you bakin' cookies again?
Old 02-21-2017, 01:14 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
A fellow collector sent me something from a third party collector who I don't know. I believe the third party has a chance to purchase the pin below. The pin is featured in the book shown. I've copied and pasted a brief description of the book as well as the author's description of this pin. I wish I had a picture of the reverse but don't (at this time). What do you guys think? I've never seen anything remotely like this.

A History of Boston in 50 Artifacts
Joseph M. Bagley

History is right under our feet; we just need to dig a little to find it. Though not the most popular construction project, Boston’s Big Dig has contributed more to our understanding and appreciation of the city’s archaeological history than any other recent event. Joseph M. Bagley, city archaeologist of Boston, uncovers a fascinating hodgepodge of history—from ancient fishing grounds to Jazz Age red-light districts—that will surprise and delight even longtime residents. Each artifact is shown in full color and accompanied by description of the item’s significance to its site location and the larger history of the city. From cannonballs to drinking cups and from ancient spears to chinaware, A History of Boston in 50 Artifacts offers a unique and accessible introduction to Boston’s history and physical culture while revealing the ways objects can offer a tantalizing entrée into our past.

description of the pin:

During the archaeological excavations in front of the Dillaway-Thomas house in Roxbury, archaeologists uncovered a small piece of cast white metal shown in the main photo. This was a pin made by the Red Sox organization and given to children who were fans of the team. The pin measures only about one inch in length, and when it was complete, it was a pseudo-humanoid figure consisting of a baseball face, a body made of catcher’s pads, and arms and legs composed of crossed baseball bats. One surviving example with a brightly painted surface has survived, with the date 1912 on the lower portion. This “FAN KID” pin was likely given out in celebration of a Red Sox win or the opening of the new stadium.

Whoa. That belongs in a museum.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:39 PM
Mike H.

I wouldn't touch it. Sure it's rare but the condition and lack of visual appeal kill it for me. Indiana Jones may appreciate it for what it is, but it's lost on me.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:46 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
I wouldn't touch it. Sure it's rare but the condition and lack of visual appeal kill it for me. Indiana Jones may appreciate it for what it is, but it's lost on me.
Well, lookee here....here's the one a friend of a friend can actually buy. I'd love to hear some opinions...as long as we can stop talking about ebay photocopies and 99 cent reprints
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170219_131054.jpg (62.4 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg 20170219_131111.jpg (58.4 KB, 337 views)
Old 02-22-2017, 05:03 AM
Mike H.

That's more like it. It's a unique and apparently very early piece
Old 02-22-2017, 05:41 AM
Joe

Agreed, much better, although wondering once word got out on these if they started to be reproduced. On a side note, that is a large sharp pin - they were handing out weapons to kids back then.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Peter F

I like it too Rob.

Also, it's so odd that you posted that pin because I just picked up this pin that arrived today. Don't mean to high jack but the timing is so coincidental.

I like both since I've never seen either before.

Figural pins. The next big thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pin 001.jpg (53.7 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg pin 001 - Copy.jpg (34.6 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg oldpinBACK.jpg (34.9 KB, 261 views)
Old 02-23-2017, 10:16 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowGrove View Post
I like it too Rob.

Also, it's so odd that you posted that pin because I just picked up this pin that arrived today. Don't mean to high jack but the timing is so coincidental.

I like both since I've never seen either before.

Figural pins. The next big thing.
Hmmm. The same type of pin attahment and the same deadly pin
Old 02-24-2017, 05:18 AM
Peter F

Quote:
Hmmm. The same type of pin attahment and the same deadly pin
You mean maybe they're fakes? Could be I guess.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:11 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowGrove View Post
You mean maybe they're fakes? Could be I guess.
I have no idea. I didn't mean to imply that. If anything, I'd lean toward real.

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 02-25-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:11 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Well, lookee here....here's the one a friend of a friend can actually buy. I'd love to hear some opinions...as long as we can stop talking about ebay photocopies and 99 cent reprints
That is very cool, and obviously, very old.

No idea what it is worth or how many are in existence, but that would be a great pick up, imo.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:16 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Just wanted to bump this old thread. I just found this about the Fan-Kid...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fan-Kid patent info.jpg (73.4 KB, 118 views)

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664