NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-22-2014, 02:48 AM

Default PSA authentication and provenance, Possible Ty Cobb HR at Fenway Ticket?

Last edited by Drift; 02-27-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:46 AM

Hi Martin,
What you would have to establish is whether the off day in the original Red Sox schedule showed them off on either May 9th or May 10th, 1912. Perhaps someone on net54 has a 1912 Red Sox schedule? It might be worth asking the Q.

The ticket you own is a stub, so it is obvious that a patron used it for admission at some point in 1912. Since May 8th (the date on your ticket) was a rainout, it would have been used to gain admission for the unscheduled game on either May 9th or 10th, 1912. There would not have been a pre-printed ticket to this game with the date on it.
I say this because of the info that you provided about the Red Sox were hosting Detroit for a 3 game series and they played a 3 game series in spite of the rainout.

As to your Q as whether your ticket was used for the 2nd game of the series on May 9th or 10th: It would depend if the 2nd game played in the series was the unscheduled one or a scheduled one. If May 9th was the unscheduled date, you may have a possible case.

Also consider looking at the original Boston (Globe) newspaper archives online. You may find a clue as far as what actually happened within these game recaps, especially because it's a local paper.

Scott

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-22-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:59 AM

Default July 12th

Last edited by Drift; 02-27-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift View Post
Thanks for the response Scott, so I took your advice and looked over the Boston Globe archives online (Great resource!)

The May 9th issue stated that the rainout would be made up in a doubleheader the next time the Tigers visit Detroit.

This meant the July 12th contest in Fenway vs the Detroit Tigers was a doubleheader.

There were an awful lot of rainouts and doubleheaders in the 1912 season

This ticket sure took me on an adventure.
There you go! I'm glad you found this helpful.
What happened in the doubleheader, BTW?
Old 01-22-2014, 09:32 AM

Martin,
I did a little research and it looks like in the 2nd game of the doubleheader Smoky Joe Wood threw an 11 inning shutout against the Tigers, allowing only 5 hits.

This was his 21st win in his league-leading breakout season in 1912 when he won 34 games. Pretty cool!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-22-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:15 PM

Default Thanks

Last edited by Drift; 02-27-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:58 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...46#88198819224

Take a look at this lot of 1912 stubs offered through Heritage a while back, one of which has the full paragraph of "fine print" at the bottom that is mostly torn off of yours. It reads:

"If legal game is not played, this check may be changed at Box Office for admission to any American League game on these grounds during 1912."

Based on my reading of that, while it is clear that your ticket was used for admission to a game, there is no way to determine exactly what game it was used for, as it could have been used for any game during the remainder of the 1912 season. Unless they had a particular way of marking the stub to indicate the date it was used (which doesn't appear to be the case), it looks to me like the write-up that PSA gave it is as specific as they can get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stubs 1.jpg (85.7 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Stubs 2.jpg (79.6 KB, 77 views)
Old 01-22-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...46#88198819224

Take a look at this lot of 1912 stubs offered through Heritage a while back, one of which has the full paragraph of "fine print" at the bottom that is mostly torn off of yours. It reads:

"If legal game is not played, this check may be changed at Box Office for admission to any American League game on these grounds during 1912."

Based on my reading of that, while it is clear that your ticket was used for admission to a game, there is no way to determine exactly what game it was used for, as it could have been used for any game during the remainder of the 1912 season. Unless they had a particular way of marking the stub to indicate the date it was used (which doesn't appear to be the case), it looks to me like the write-up that PSA gave it is as specific as they can get.
Good detective work, Lance! I would have to agree with your logic...

That being said, the way that PSA handles annual passes as equivalent to a ticket to an actual individual game, they are pretty footloose and fancy free. If you pay them enough money, it seems as though they have no problem creating a ticket bio that borders on fiction, IMHO.

I personally am not a fan of PSA slabbing tickets...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-22-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:28 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
That being said, the way that PSA handles annual passes as equivalent to a ticket to an actual individual game, they are pretty footloose and fancy free.
Hmmm, so I guess by that "annual pass" logic, the submitter should be able to choose any subsequent home game for that season to appear on the flip, since it technically could have been used for any game for the rest of the season. Yeah, I agree with the disdain for the whole "this could have been used for such and such an event" being on the flip for annual passes and such. Seems like the item should just be labeled for what it is, and leave the inventive storytelling to eBay sellers and auction houses.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 01-22-2014 at 03:30 PM.