NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-19-2014, 10:53 PM

Default Japanese baseball 1923 (Identification & Translation Help)

I know this is probably a longshot, but if anyone can help identify this player and possibly even translate some (all) of the text on back it would be very helpful. It is clearly dated 1923 and the player in the foreground looks to be American so perhaps its from one of the Herb hunter tours.

Thanks in advance for anyone that might be able to help.

Rhys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japanese.jpg (74.1 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg japanese2.jpg (74.6 KB, 232 views)
Old 01-20-2014, 05:46 AM
Mic.hel.le. Plo.ur.de

Hi, I'm trying to get it translated for you. Regarding the team name, seeing the letters, the first word that popped in my mind was ASAHI.

Interesting that there were teams with that name in Vancouver and Seattle in 1923. Maybe a lead for you?
Old 01-20-2014, 06:09 AM
Vincent Hecksel

I am very ignorant about such things, but was the style of hats worn by many of the spectators in the bleachers common to Japanese fans, or more common to U.S. fans in the early 1920's? The answer may help support Michelle's observation about possible U.S. orgin (Vancouver or Seattle) of the ASAHI team that the person of interest played for.

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 01-20-2014 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:04 AM
pariah1107

There was a team in Hawai'i, known as Asahi, founded in 1905:

http://faroutliers.wordpress.com/200...waii-1920s40s/

The most well-known Japanese American baseball team in Seattle was named the Taiyo All-Stars in the 1920's. Great image!!!!

Last edited by pariah1107; 01-20-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: misspelled Taiyo
Old 01-20-2014, 10:38 AM

I really appreciate the help guys, I am great with whatever the outcome is, I just want to make sure the history of the item is preserved.

Rhys
Old 01-20-2014, 11:35 AM
Don Stokes

Asahi early baseball teams

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cd...ISOSTART=1,101
Old 01-20-2014, 03:14 PM
Chris Wood

A Japanese colleague of mine took a shot at translating reports that the text to the right (reverse of photo) is so sloppy that it is difficult to make out unfort. The seal in the middle references "Tokyo", a shrine, "South Town" and "Sept 9th". She said she will share this with family members this week to see if they can assist.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:25 PM
pariah1107

Awesome Chris! The Great Kanto Earthquake occurred September 1st, 1923. Tokyo "was devastated"....very interested in the translation of the PC....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1923_Gr...33;_earthquake

Last edited by pariah1107; 01-20-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:27 PM
Mic.hel.le. Plo.ur.de

Ok, my Japanese mom translated it. Here it is:

The writing says this photo was taken on Sept. 9th, 1920 at Keio University grounds. The person in the photo is an American catcher named South (C. E. or L. E. ?). He is shown practicing after the game at Keio. He was a member of the All-Hawaii baseball team that was visiting Japan at the time.

Check out this website, same link as Ty gave previously: http://faroutliers.wordpress.com/200...waii-1920s40s/

UPDATE:
The Japanese character for catcher and pitcher are somewhat similar. The writing on the card is not too clear. It looks more like catcher than pitcher, but looking at the photo it seems like he is a pitcher.

Last edited by Misha; 01-20-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:41 PM

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it and will preserve the info with the photo!

Rhys
Old 01-20-2014, 09:15 PM

FWIW, he definitely looks like a pitcher to me.
Great detective work provided by all the other board members, BTW.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:19 AM
Mic.hel.le. Plo.ur.de

FYI, Keio University is one of the elite private universities here in Tokyo ( and Japan). Founded in 1858, it's akin to Harvard/Yale etc in stature. The Japanese ¥10,000 note which is equivalent to $100, has the founder of Keio University on it.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Shawn England

Default USS Cleveland vs. Waseda University 1908 Japan

Wow Misha,

Special thanks to your Mom!

Here is a Japanese baseball postcard that I have posted before - I have had some help with translation, but would love to know what the personal inscription says?

Is this something your mother can read?

Translation on the front reads:

USS Cleveland vs. Waseda University Big Baseball Match Commemoration (Victory Waseda)

"The 2 cancellation dates are from the reign of Emperor Meiji (Hirohito's grandfather). The date on the postmark in the middle of the card is
October 7, 1908 - the 41st year of the reign of Meiji. The postmark on the stamp is October 4th, so 2 different post offices cancelled the card. The addressee was in Tokyo."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chinaF (1280x826).jpg (75.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg chinaB.jpg (74.6 KB, 85 views)
Old 01-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Mic.hel.le. Plo.ur.de

Here's my mom's reply to your request.

Hi Michelle,

Regarding the post card you sent for translation, the printing on the front picture is as the owner says. i.e. USS Cleveland vs. Waseda, etc.

The card was mailed by a Mr. Kimura from the Governor General's house in Seoul, Korea on October 4th, 1908 where he worked and lived as a trainee. The brief writing on the bottom left side of the stamp is the date the card was written. The postage stamp was cancelled on that same date.

The card was addressed to Mr. Yoshi Ichijo who lived at a Mr. Yanagawa's house at 136 Sakashita-cho, Ohtsuka, Koishikawa-ku, Tokyo-shi. The stamp in the middle of the card is when it was received at the Koishikawa Post Office on October 7, 1908.

The correspondence reads as follows:

"Hi, Ichijo,

I heard it's been strong wind and rain in Tokyo these days. How are you doing? Here in Korea it's still very cold and the morning and the night are too cold to wear just one shirt. These days I don't know if Inaba is dead or alive. He hasn't written to me at all, although I haven't written to him either. Kawagoe and I are going to the Government Center club and playing tennis almost every day. Take care."

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokelessjoe View Post
Wow Misha,

Special thanks to your Mom!

Here is a Japanese baseball postcard that I have posted before - I have had some help with translation, but would love to know what the personal inscription says?

Is this something your mother can read?

Translation on the front reads:

USS Cleveland vs. Waseda University Big Baseball Match Commemoration (Victory Waseda)

"The 2 cancellation dates are from the reign of Emperor Meiji (Hirohito's grandfather). The date on the postmark in the middle of the card is
October 7, 1908 - the 41st year of the reign of Meiji. The postmark on the stamp is October 4th, so 2 different post offices cancelled the card. The addressee was in Tokyo."
Old 01-22-2014, 02:15 PM
Shawn England

Default Wow!

Misha,

What can I say.... Please tell your mom thank you so much! I should pay her some money or something to return the favor. So excited, thank you.

Rhys,

Hope I did not offend you by posting on your thread? If you had not posted then I may have never known what my post card said... Thank you,

Shawn
Old 01-22-2014, 05:02 PM

No problem at all, just glad I got some help!