NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-23-2017, 01:04 PM
Neal

Default Thoughts on these 2 pieces

I am looking to purchase a collection and included were these 2 original lamp post lights that sat high on top of lamp posts in front of both Yankee Stadium and Shea Stadium.

Both were completely restored about 5 years ago and converted with electric cord to plug in.

Has anyone ever seen these and perhaps your thoughts as far as any value in them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SHEA STADIUM LIGHT.jpg (63.9 KB, 520 views)
File Type: jpg New York Yanks Light.2.jpg (62.5 KB, 522 views)
File Type: jpg New York Yanks Light.1.jpg (60.7 KB, 520 views)
Old 06-23-2017, 04:25 PM
Rob

Those are absolutely fantasy pieces. They are worth whatever you think they're worth.

http://keymancollectibles.com/miscel...treetlight.htm
Old 06-23-2017, 06:21 PM

I have a Fenway Park one on display in my hallway with a 40W led bulb in it. It's a great display piece, everyone who sees it loves it. I think I paid around $175 delivered for mine last year on eBay.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Those are absolutely fantasy pieces. They are worth whatever you think they're worth.

http://keymancollectibles.com/miscel...treetlight.htm
Exactly. Neither one was ever anywhere near the stadia in question.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:57 PM

My immediate instinct was that these are, as others said, fantasy pieces that were made in recent years to look cool in a fan's man cave or rec room, but were never used at or near Yankee Stadium or Shea Stadium. Seems others agree. In describing the origin, did it seem like the seller was just offering an innocent guess or representing the descriptions as personally known fact? A little disturbing.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:26 PM

I saw a couple of these for sale on a local Craigslist ad where the seller purported that they were subway signals which were used within the signaling infrastructure of the NYC subway system. The units were distressed and appeared to be older in age.

As with everything in our hobby, caveat emptor. Knowledge is your best ally.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:05 AM
Don Hontz

I bought my Yankee sign in the late 80's at a show---it states Parking and Yankee Stadium--lights up nicely---this is the only one I have seen with both signs--I always thought this was the real deal--it feels like cast iron---the direction signal flashes--anyway what do you guys think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 020.jpg (76.1 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg 021.jpg (74.8 KB, 324 views)
Old 06-25-2017, 06:52 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Im assuming these are real vintage cast iron pieces that people are placing lenses in them to say whatever they want, in these cases baseball related. Just my thoughts
Old 06-25-2017, 01:45 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Those last ones actually look pretty good. But to Michael's point, it could well be that the lenses are replaced on some of these, for the Baseball tie-in. Makes them a lot more sought-after and expensive...

Same thing is happening with Pocket Watches. Be careful.... there was a huge influx of these on ebay recently. The seller(s) took original Waltham/Elgin pocket watches, and applied early baseball graphics to the dial. These are near-perfect copies of the originals, so be careful.

So instead of seeing maybe one of these every 5 years in a Catalogue Auction, there were over a dozen on ebay at one time (about 3-4 months ago). They look nearly identical to the original, but a big tip-off is the engraving on the reverse. Most (but not all) were engraved with a "Crossed Bats" motif on the back.

Not sure if reporting it to ebay does much good, but at a minimum, keep away! Sorry to get a bit off-topic, but it's a very similar issue.

Last edited by perezfan; 06-25-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:51 PM
keith janosky

Yeah there was an Ebbets field one a couple years ago I almost bought thinking it was real but a little research on it found out it was a reproduction as one of the other guys stated I think they just take the lenses out and make up their own idea for a lens to make it a cool item. Somebody might even have access to old street lights maybe from somebody who works in the street department and actually uses the casings but just replaces the lens. So the casings may be real but the lenses are fake. Just a thought
Old 06-25-2017, 03:43 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsky View Post
Yeah there was an Ebbets field one a couple years ago I almost bought thinking it was real but a little research on it found out it was a reproduction as one of the other guys stated I think they just take the lenses out and make up their own idea for a lens to make it a cool item. Somebody might even have access to old street lights maybe from somebody who works in the street department and actually uses the casings but just replaces the lens. So the casings may be real but the lenses are fake. Just a thought
Definitely, this.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:53 PM
Don Hontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
I bought my Yankee sign in the late 80's at a show---it states Parking and Yankee Stadium--lights up nicely---this is the only one I have seen with both signs--I always thought this was the real deal--it feels like cast iron---the direction signal flashes--anyway what do you guys think.
I wish I could find a old timer from the 40's or 50's to see if they had these signs around yankee stadium. I thought mine was the real deal. I understand about replacing the lens, but it surely had to be precise.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:00 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
I wish I could find a old timer from the 40's or 50's to see if they had these signs around yankee stadium. I thought mine was the real deal. I understand about replacing the lens, but it surely had to be precise.
Consider the size of these things....they would be very ineffective as directional indicators. I'm 100% convinced these are fantasy pieces.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:58 PM

Traffic signals are surprisingly easy to buy; I bought two for less than $50 each. Older ones, unless they are some kind of rare variety, are also very easy (and inexpensive) to acquire. Once you have one, it's easy enough to have a lens made (measurements, etc)

I asked a good friend of mine who was an engineer (side rule and compass, not throttle and brake) for the MTA if he had heard of a specific NYY subway signal and he had not. I showed him the pictures of the Craigslist ad and he still was not convinced. Granted, he wasn't alive when these units were purported to be in service, but I'll take his word over some rando selling something on Craigslist.

Just my opinion based on the research I was able to conduct.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:46 PM
Banned

great point rob

Last edited by RedsFan1941; 06-26-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:19 PM
Rob

Another bogus piece. Why would this thing ever have hung outside Ebbets?

A: it didn't.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Br...53.m1438.l2649
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (25.4 KB, 70 views)