NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-19-2018, 03:05 PM
Rich Klein

Default Sad News Wayne Johnson

I hardly dealt with him but I saw this on Facebook and am posting this verbatim. Wayne was very instrumental in the Indianapolis Area being strong on cards and collecting: This is a quote from FB:

"It is with a very heavy heart that we announce the tragic death of one of our most beloved collector friends/family members today. Wayne Johnson was a friend, father figure, mentor, and well respected peer to every single one of us in this hobby. Wayne taught me a lot of what I know today regarding vintage baseball cards and he had always been a support and encouragement in the growth of our shop. Rest in Peace Wayne. You will be sorely missed by me and everyone else you have encountered in this hobby"
Old 12-19-2018, 03:40 PM
Mike Kendall

I heard this sad news earlier today. I knew Wayne as the high school baseball coach before knowing about his love of baseball cards. Just a great guy. He will be missed.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 12-19-2018, 05:46 PM

Dealt with him for many years, very sorry to hear this.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:21 PM
Mike

I am reading this post with a very heavy heart. Wayne was truly one of the good guys in this hobby. He has always been kind to my son, friends and myself. He was generous to a fault. Take a moment, if you will, to say a small prayer for Wayne and his family.

Rest in peace my friend,
Mike
Old 12-19-2018, 07:25 PM
J1m C0chran

Yes, Wayne was a great guy. I met him a few times at local Indy shows, very sorry to hear this.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:50 PM
Tom Boblitt

Like Mike above, I’ve spent a bunch of time with Wayne and JD Heckathorn over the years. Mostly at the Chicago shows and the National. Wayne was a good, decent man who took care of his friends. He routinely grabbed a tab while none of us knew what he was doing. I was fortunate to meet his wife in Chicago and had met his son-in-law a few times at different shows. Prayers to all of them during this trying time and to his buddy JD who I’m sure has done hundreds of shows with him over the years.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:01 PM
Jason B.

This is a really tough one to take. Wayne was one of the first Dealers I met when I got into collecting vintage in earnest about 8 years ago, starting with the old Vet's Memorial show in Columbus.

He was one of the really positive and steady influences for me in the hobby, and always had a handshake and a wise word to share. Never got anything less than a fair deal and good conversation from him.
JD's Columbus Show and Strongsville won't be quite the same without him there.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:33 AM

My first card show was Wayne Johnson and a few dealers setting up at a local hotel. I have known Wayne for almost 40 years. I bought my first t206 from him among many others, sold cards to him and set up at shows with him for years. This truly is a sad day. Wayne will be missed.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:55 AM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default What a Great Guy

Stunner. Saw him many a time at the Chicago shows. What a sweet, wonderful man. Down to earth and always helpful with solid words of advice about card collecting. Former teacher, as I recall. His pupils were most fortunate. RIP and thank you for your integrity and service to the industry.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:32 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Bought cards from him many times at the National. He will be missed.
Larry
Old 12-20-2018, 09:17 AM
Bob McLean

I first met Wayne when I set up at a couple of his hotel shows in Indianapolis. He was always a professional, but went beyond that and was kind and helpful. I've since seen him at the National, the Chicago Shows, and the Columbus shows. He is one guy that you will never hear a bad word about, if you do the person is mistaken.

It won't be the same at the shows not seeing this outstanding dealer. My condolences to his family and his great friend JD.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:58 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Very sad news

My sincerest condolences to JD and all his family and friends.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:19 PM
Tony Gordon

I've known Wayne for many years. You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer, more honorable, and more knowledgeable dealer. While he was a regular dealer at all the big shows in the Midwest, I was most impressed that he regularly set up at young Seth Murray's monthly show at the La Quinta in Indianapolis. He gave that show legitimacy and held court in the back of the room. I always enjoyed talking to him because I learned something new every time. Just last month, I had a nice conversation with him about 1966 Topps high numbers at the Sun-Times show in Rosemont, IL. His passing is a real loss to the hobby. My condolences to his family and friends.