NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-03-2003, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Default Auction House Shipping Fee

Posted By: RogerS 

Folks,

I heard the services from Mastro are very good that they would even send u the lots before u actually paid for them. However, I am not sure how Mastro calculate the shipping fee being charged on you guys since I never won anything from them. But I won a lot on Leland and their services are quite bad. I sent personal check to them and cleared on Dec18. I called them they said they sent out my lot on Dec27 by UPS GROUND. So far, I still haven't received my lot. They charged me $47.51 on shipping but I just realized they actually overcharged me. I checked the rate on UPS site and $47.51 is in fact for the Next Day delivery services. I am very pissed right now since I was thinking to open the item on Boxing Day but I have received nothing so far and they even overcharged me. Please don't tell me they charge me some fees on handling and packaging materials. Didn't they charge us 15% commission already?

Does anyone know how they come up with that $47.51 shipping fee? I won my lot at $6500. That $47.51 fee is correct (assuming they buy full insurance on my item)

Old 01-03-2003, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

Roger keep in mind that UPS is off Dec 31/Jan 1st. I also have a UPS ground package going from Texas to Cali on Dec 27 and it won't arrive until Jan 3rd...so depending on where you are in relation to Leland it may take even longer.

Old 01-03-2003, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

The shipping prices may seem high, but they are actually justified most of the time. Most people don't realize the incredible overhead that Mastro and Lelands carry.

Your 15% buyers premium goes to pay for the catalog. The high quality catalogs that you get cost these guys in the hundreds of thousands to produce.

The high shipping charges are a result of these auction houses having to pay 50-100K a year for full time packing people.

Scott

Old 01-03-2003, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

My feeling is that Mastro makes a lot more in their auctions than the 100k-150k the catalogues cost. I definitely understand that they are expensive but if Mastro nets 5 million in revenue and they get 10% from the consignor, and 15% from the buyers they are making about 1.25 million of GROSS profit.....I know those highly paid staffers earn big bucks but I would think Bill ain't going broke....as far as the shipping fees I have always been ok with all of the auction houses....they aren't making their money on shipping and you are probably correct in that they just break even, at best, on them....all things considered....best regards all

Old 01-03-2003, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

what the heck is "Boxing Day????"

Old 01-03-2003, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I would not get too excited about Leon getting his items prior to payment - that's an aberration due to the fact that they know him extremely well. I love doing business with the few auction houses I use, and have no complaints, but I never hold my breath waiting for items to arrive.

Old 01-03-2003, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Boxing Day is December 26th---the day after Christmas. In Canada, businesses stay shut, but it is the biggest shopping day of the year.

Old 01-03-2003, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Boxing Day is so called because on this day it was the customary for tradesmen to collect their Christmas boxes or gifts in return for good service throughout the year. Also, it included giving money and other gifts to charitable institutions, and the needy.

Old 01-03-2003, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

Howdy Leon, I think that 100K to 150K is low for what Mastro spends on a catalog, I would at least double that amount.

I don't think that most people understand the overhead that these guys carry. The people who work there make good money, both Mastro and Lelands have a nice office space in higher rent areas, then figure in heat, light, electricity, advertising, points on bank credit, travel, etc. These guys get killed in overhead. They may not be starving, but they don't make near as much money as most people think. That 1.2 million gets spent very quickly.

Scott

Old 01-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

I beleive it was Lew Lipset, not MastroNet, Leon or whomever was talking about. I'm confident that MastroNet doesn't send out the stuff before receiving payment. Not a criticism, because I don't either.

MastroNet's shipping may be high (I don't have my records, but know they aren't cheap). All of the big auction houses charge an arm and a leg for shipping. This may be because they have a packaging staff, and also because there's a 'surcharge.' There's nothing you can do about it, but take it into consideration when you are bidding. For better or for worse, MastroNet ain't eBay.

Old 01-03-2003, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

I wish to note that MastroNet is full service and often at their expence. For example, I was doing some research on painting, and contacted Doug Allen about if I could talk to someone there. There was no auction going on I so wasn't a current or potential bidder. Lo and hebold, Rob Lifson looked up my name and called me at my home. It was about a half hour New Jersey to Seattle phone call at his expense .... I've had similar if not as extreme out-of-thier-pocket experiences with MastroNet. So I don't fault them if some of their charges at first blush seem high. If it pays for their service, it seems to be money well spent.

So it makes anyone feel any better, your shipping charges pay for my long distance phone calls. Seems fair to me.

Old 01-03-2003, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

the one day when you could go out and use fisticuffs against anyone determined to be deserving, without penalty of law, like child abusers, serial killers or people who drive slower than the speed limit in the left lane of traffic.

Old 01-03-2003, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It was BOTH Mastro and Lew Lipset that sent my stuff to me BEFORE they got my money. I do have a minor personal/business relationship with both so they probably figured they could get a hold of me if I didn't pay....it sure isn't because I am one of their biggest customers ....regards all....

Old 01-03-2003, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Spoken like a true lawyer

Old 01-03-2003, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

gimme a call and I'll tell you my "huge pre-1900 tobacco baseball card find" almost-story

Old 01-03-2003, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H.

was also the day (December 26, 1908) that boxing heavyweight Jack Johnson won the title from the 3:1 favorite, Tommy Burns, and became the first black heavyweight champion....

Old 01-04-2003, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I think I learned that in "Murder in the Cathedral," which, if anyone has 33 1/3, tape or cd of, I would give my eyeteeth to get again...

I know, wrong crowd...

Old 01-05-2003, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Gee, Bob I never thought you had it in you.

I don't think I'm going to bid against you anymore. (Where's the smiley site when you need it?)

Old 01-05-2003, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Julie, sure you don't want it on 8 track? :-p

Jay

Old 01-05-2003, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I had on 33 1/3s, only. Never saw it since. Robert Donat played the Archbishop.

The last temptation is the greatest treason
To do the right thing for the wrong reason...