NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-28-2018, 06:59 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Default 100th anniversary of Black Sox Scandal next year.... time to let them into the Hall?

I've been thinking that it would be pretty cool on the 100th anniversary of the Black Sox scandal; to consider opening the Hall to Joe Jackson.

The way I see it:
1) While I'm not an expert on the subject but it seems as if there is at least a reasonable discussion about whether Jackson's play was at all compromised in the Series
2) Long after the player's have passed on, it is no longer a punishment for the players. At this point, I feel like for baseball and baseball history, Jackson should be in the Hall.

Anyone agree?
Old 01-28-2018, 07:30 PM
keith janosky

I agree. If they let in steroid cheaters no reason Jackson and Rose should not be in.

Last edited by keithsky; 01-28-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:31 PM
Jason Wells

I think that would be great but im skeptic that it will happen. I would at the least like to see him have a official review like Rose did. I think 100 years is long enough for the purported crime.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:17 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Would love to see it, but they'll never consider putting Joe in until Rose is dead. If they put him in while Rose is still alive, he'd be up the HOF's ass mercilessly and they don't want to give him the satisfaction.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:32 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I can't say I'd be in favor of any of them ever being in...even if the Black Sox have some sympathetic figures (i.e.Jackson;Weaver)...it would be an insult to all those who didn't cheat or throw games.

IMO

Being a HOFer isn't a birthright and it isn't something you can attain just through numbers...rose, bonds, and Clemens all believe they were better than the game itself...and they were not!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-29-2018, 06:21 AM
Steve Asmus

With legalized sports gambling on the legislative agenda's in a lot of states right now, and more than likely will be legal nationwide within the next 5 years, I don't ever see the Baseball Hall of Fame ever saying it's OK for any player to fix a game or games, much less a World Series. I wouldn't be surprised within the next 20 years we don't actually see more players receive "lifetime" bans for fixing games if we do in fact see legalized sports gambling. The "lifetime" ban has to remain in effect and in full force as a deterrent, or they are just saying fixing games isn't that big of a deal.

Personally, I think Joe Jackson should be in the Hall of Fame, but the fact still remains that he did conspire to throw a World Series. It doesn't matter if he actually took money or not, what his batting average in the Series was, the bottom line is he was a member of a "conspiracy" to fix games for gamblers, and for that he was banned from the game for life.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:37 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal1010 View Post
With legalized sports gambling on the legislative agenda's in a lot of states right now, and more than likely will be legal nationwide within the next 5 years, I don't ever see the Baseball Hall of Fame ever saying it's OK for any player to fix a game or games, much less a World Series. I wouldn't be surprised within the next 20 years we don't actually see more players receive "lifetime" bans for fixing games if we do in fact see legalized sports gambling. The "lifetime" ban has to remain in effect and in full force as a deterrent, or they are just saying fixing games isn't that big of a deal.

Personally, I think Joe Jackson should be in the Hall of Fame, but the fact still remains that he did conspire to throw a World Series. It doesn't matter if he actually took money or not, what his batting average in the Series was, the bottom line is he was a member of a "conspiracy" to fix games for gamblers, and for that he was banned from the game for life.

Steve- I don't think you're directing your comments correctly. The reason for Rose's ban is not because he bet on Baseball games, but that he bet on Baseball games on which he had inside information (injuries) or could take action (lineup changes) which could determine the outcome of those games.

I can see, regretfully, a time in the future when Baseball players are allowed to bet on games, but only with absolutely strict limitations on which games would be involved.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-29-2018, 07:04 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal1010 View Post
The "lifetime" ban has to remain in effect and in full force as a deterrent, or they are just saying fixing games isn't that big of a deal.
Sure, a "lifetime" ban. His lifetime is over. Let him in, IMO.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:42 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default Exactly

Is it weird that some of the community who want to let Shoeless Joe in are the same ones who want to keep marginal (but entirely honest as far as we know) players like Alan Trammell out?

Letting any of the dishonest Black Sox in would be a travesty to the HOF. However, Rose is a different kettle of fish, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I can't say I'd be in favor of any of them ever being in...even if the Black Sox have some sympathetic figures (i.e.Jackson;Weaver)...it would be an insult to all those who didn't cheat or throw games.

IMO

Being a HOFer isn't a birthright and it isn't something you can attain just through numbers...rose, bonds, and Clemens all believe they were better than the game itself...and they were not!
Old 01-29-2018, 12:09 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

All major league baseball club houses have a sign posted stating the rules of conduct.

Rule 21(d):

BETTING ON BALL GAMES. Any player, umpire, or club official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has no duty to perform shall be declared ineligible for one year.

Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible.

It says permanently.

If Pete Rose was given a pass - added to his stats on his HOF plaque would be: As manager, guilty of betting on baseball games from the dugout during ball games.

On Jackson's plaque: Joe Jackson: Guilty of being a willing member of a conspiracy to fix World Series baseball games.

Honor with dishonor - contradictory - incompatible.