NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-14-2014, 02:51 PM
Ed McCollum

Default RIP Dr. Bill McAvoy

Actually, my wife noticed in the Omaha paper this morning that Dr. McAvoy passed away on Friday. Bill was a great influence on me, starting back in 1989 when I would see him often in shows in Omaha and I still lived in Lincoln. He had the high end T206s that I would look at, then the notebook of lower grade cards that he would make great deals on. We spent a lot of time talking cards and he would always have something for my son as a gift for having to sit quietly while the grownups talked cards. Often even giving him a pop if he had sat nicely waiting for us.
Recently, Dr. McAvoy hadn't handled or dealt in tobacco cards, but was still a great source of knowledge to gleam from at local shows. Don't know exactly what the circumstances are or where, but was greatly saddened to see this this morning. Condolences to his family. Rest in peace, Dr McAvoy.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:05 PM

My condolences to the McAvoy family.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Bill McAvoy

This is very, very sad news. I have known Bill since the early 1980's, going back to the Willow Grove (Philly) shows.

In the 1990's - 2008, Bill and I were set up next to each other at the Fort Washington (Philly) shows. We had a lot
of fun and made some great trades.

A true gentleman and a great friend, he will be very missed.

GOD BLESS his soul....and may GOD comfort his wife Jane, and daughter Amy, and family.

TED Z
Old 09-14-2014, 03:34 PM

First met him about 1994, he never forgot a customer and always had time to talk to you.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:47 PM
Mark Macrae

Very sad news. Bill & I have been friends for more than 30 years. One of the highlights of my annual cross country trip is visiting with Bill & Jane for a few hours. In July we attended an Omaha Storm Chasers game, and he clearly had some mobility issues. Fortunately we were able to arrange for handicapped access seats and made it a little easier for Bill. A lifelong collector, he had a passion for quality items, an incredible knowledge of many of the hobby's esoteric issues. I will call Jane tomorrow, but definitely a sad day for the hobby.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:47 PM
Todd Schultz

Sad news. He was probably my favorite non-Arizona dealer of post-war cards, along with Roger N.-- he often had less main-stream stuff in good shape and was willing to chat. Bought lots of raw high-grade post cereal cards from him. Condolences to his family and friends.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Rich Klein

I agree with all the comments; when at Beckett he always shared all his sales information at shows and when I left Beckett he was always as friendly

RIP to a good man
Old 09-14-2014, 05:36 PM
Bill Gregory

Unfortunately, based on what I have been reading here, I did not have the good fortune to know Dr. McAvoy. But I wish I had.

My condolences to his family and many friends here on Net 54.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:14 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

I loved when Bill set up at the Hollywood Park shows...he always seemed to have some stuff stashed under the table for me to try to identify and then buy. I remember buying so much oddball from him over the years and he did not only deal in high end stuff (he kept a box or two of low end oddball and prewar under the table often). He will be missed and my condolences to his family and friends.

Joshua
Old 09-14-2014, 09:54 PM
Rich
R1ch Sm1th

I just saw this today and am terribly saddened. I had some great conversations with him over the past few years at the shows here in Omaha. He was a wealth of knowledge and an incredibly nice man. Our hobby lost one of the great ones.

Rich
Old 09-14-2014, 10:13 PM
Barry Arnold

Default Dr. Bill McAvoy

very sad news.
My condolences to his family and many friends.

With deepest sympathy,
Barry
Old 09-15-2014, 03:22 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Rip

To a legend in the baseball card hobby. You will be missed Dr. McAvoy.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:21 PM

I'm sorry to hear of Bill's passing. We had been friends for over 20 years from setting up near each other at the Ft. Washington, PA, show. He was one of the good guys and will be missed.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:03 AM
John Hanssen

Being from Omaha I to have talked with him many times. Like was said before he would bring out a few low grade pre-war if he had them to local shows. Many of those local shows being what they were gave us lots of time to talk about the cards.

An Omaha legend and a true "good guy"
Old 09-17-2014, 08:56 AM

Met him in the early 90's. Was a great guy to talk with. Bought some nice things from him over the years. Sports Kings Ty Cobb, Ruth rookie, Mikan rookie... He always seemed happy to see me at shows. He will be missed.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:24 AM
GaryPassamonte

I had some dealings with Bill in the 90s. Always first class. My condolences to the family.