NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 02-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Greg Cole

Default What's with the Cleveland Photos in 1964 Philly Gum Set?

This may be commonly understood amongst Football card collectors, so enlighten me if it is...

Over the past year, I've been casually putting together a mid-grade set of the 1964 Philadelphia Gum NFL cards and have run across a peculiarity of the photos on the cards of the Cleveland Browns.

All of the player's photos look to have been taken somewhere else and then superimposed on the "parking lot" background. 11 of the 12 player photos have a background with a big convertible visible in a snowy parking area. Some players have odd shaped heads and necks and look like they are missing their borders. It's seems noticeable around the edges of the player outlines, as many have odd bright colors and shadows; Johnny Brewer looks like he's missing part of his head.

Am I crazy for thinking this? If it's true, why would the photographer or Philly Gum use this particular background as a substitute?

I remembered how prickly Paul Brown could be and thought maybe he made Philly Gum change the background for some reason (i.e. the photos inadvertently showed some "secret" of the Brown's game prep or training camps)- but 1964 was after Art Modell ran Brown out of Cleveland!

I'm at a loss on this one and hope someone out there can explain this.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Jeff P

It may only be a urban legend but I heard that that is Jim Brown's car in the background and it was his idea to take all of the pictures in front of his car.

Can someone valid / debunk this?

jeff
Old 02-04-2012, 06:42 AM
Steve Liskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
It may only be a urban legend but I heard that that is Jim Brown's car in the background and it was his idea to take all of the pictures in front of his car.

Can someone valid / debunk this?

jeff
I've heard the same thing. I think it's the car that Brown won or was a gift for some NFL award.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Mike Dugan

I read years ago that it was a snowy day and they used the showroom of a local dealership that was close? I think that cam out of an early issue of Beckett's monthly price guide?