NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Default 1911 Diamond Gum Pins (PE2)....what is Ryan's first name?

Posted By: Don Fluckinger

Gents (and ladies):

Can anyone tell me what the first name is of the player named Ryan on the 1910 or 1911 Rochester minor league team?

I have a couple "new" 1911 Diamond Gum pins going into the 2009 book, and I'm trying to be anal and complete.

Anyone else have any minor leaguers featured on these pins that we haven't catalogued? I have "Ryan" and Jimmie Savage to add...and I seek more if anyone out there knows about them. (They're kinda obscure, I know)

I have more on this and other updated material at http://standardcatalog.wordpress.com

Thank you

Old 04-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

or do they have 'Diamond Gum' on them? The ACC lists the Mascot Gum and Diamond Gum pins together. I'm not entirely sure they should be together. I've had a couple of different Mascot Gum (solid blue rim) and many Diamond Gum ones. I haven't seen anything other than major leaguers in the Diamond Gum pins though.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Don Fluckinger

I'll check it out...this gentleman with whom I've been communicating does phone and US mail so it could take a bit to verify.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I find no player with the last name "Ryan" playing for Rochester in 1910 or 1911. Nothing in SABR and nothing in the Spalding guides from 1911 and 1912.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: don fluckinger

That's clear.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Here are some of the Mascot Gum Pins (wich are kinda similar to the Diamond Gum Pins only without the verbiage on the front borders.)
-Rhett

Old 04-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Administrator

OK, so this guy is a snail mail kind of guy, right?

So I mailed him questions based on the feedback I got here and he wrote back.

Not only confirms that these two Rochester player pins are clearly marked as "Free with Diamond Gum" but also he's got 3 more he hadn't realized he had before: Savidge, Spencer, and Moran---all from Rochester.

Sounds like a catalogable find? Anyone else see these "out there" in the wild?

Is it possible it's a new set and not part of the Diamond Gums in the catalog?

Old 04-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Administrator

I don't remember ever seeing a 'Diamond Gum' pin (printed around the rim as such) from a Rochester player. They were always blue rims with name/team on the front from Mascot Gum. I'd still push for color copies to be sure..........
Would love to see them........

Why can't everyone be in the 21st century..........

Old 04-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Administrator

This is a great online forum, everyone's pretty well comfortable with technology, pictures, etc. But having ushered my father into the internet age (he's 81) I have nothing but sympathy for this gentleman with the Rochester pins.

My dad wasn't a computer idiot, he kept books (no accounting degree, so he technically was a bookkeeper) on 1980s PCs and navigated his way through the eras of diskettes and disks and CDs, but when it came to the Internet and all the other media, it wasn't easy to understand all this and still isn't, although he is constantly upgrading his knowledge. Like viruses...they kill his machine. All this automatic virus software/online updates try to keep fixing his computer but one wrong click on his part and basically he ends up throwing out the machine in frustration and experiencing the joy of a new computer more often than I.

This collector with the pins...is a good guy as far as I can tell. He is like Forum 54-ites, in search of clarity and completeness about these artifacts he's acquired. Just like us, except he is not among us in this virtual world.

I know he's not the only Standard Catalog loyalist who doesn't "do" online forums. You guys are the elite (I can already hear the catcalls that will rain down after that statement...but you know it's true) and that is why I throw these questions out to you.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Don,

Have you considered updating the Cuban, Puerto Rican, Venezuelan, Dominican, Mexican, etc. sets in the catalog? I stopped contributing about 3 or 4 years ago after Lemke made some bizarre changes that were not at all reflective of the market.

Since then, the pricing has remained the same and the only updates have been adding several sets with inaccurate checklists including a bunch of cards that were literally not produced, but are now in the catalog...with prices!

It looks like many of those checklists were taken from a website that has tons of inaccurate information about Cuban baseball cards. The owner of that site might not be aware of how much misinformation is being spread as a result of posting incorrect checklists.

The checklists and pricing for these types of cards are becoming more and more obsolete with each year's catalog.

-Ryan

Old 04-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Do I see an offer of assistance there? I am sure Don will update it when he gets good info....regards

Old 04-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Leon,

Yes, I'd be willing to help again. It certainly needs to be fixed.

-Ryan

Old 04-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

I will echo what Tom has said in regard to never having seen a Diamond Gum Rochester player with the advertising around the rim.

However, as can be seen above with the Alperman I have, I have often wondered if it was in fact from the Mascot Gum set as it has a "orange" tint that is NOT due to foxing. The pin was originally made in that color with a green border as opposed to the very blue mascot border. I wondered if perhaps this was a pin from another set as it is missing any paper advertisement from the back.

Also Don, I wouldn't mind having my name added to the acknowledgements in the front of your book as I have helped in the past with many different issues, I can only assume that there was some confusion as to whether Rhys Yeakley (my brother, who IS included) and I are the same person. Heaven knows we get emails every week from people thinking they are sending correspondence to the other brother. If you ever meet us, just remember I am the good looking one!

-Rhett Yeakley

Old 04-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Yes, I have triple checked the Yeakley issue--first, one of you guys emailed me last October, then Bob Lemke reminded me, and here it is again. Thanks for your support!

And yes, I would like as grand of an update to the Latino/Caribbean set checklists, thanks for the helps. I know knowledge (and interest, judging on the eBay bids at least) is multiplying so getting up to date here is a critical issue. Thank you. If you could put "Cuban card checklist" or something like that in subjects of emails regarding this, it helps a lot, I have a brutal spam problem. If would be really really cool if it was caught in one email and I got something organized (with suggested pricing to start from) in one email, but I understand that the expertise for this stuff is in a lot of different collections, probably?

The 2009 catalog is almost put to bed (not the pricing part) so I imagine the updates on these sets would be 2010 book.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Administrator

What do you guys think, should I not put this in the catalog and leave it an open file, or should I add to diamond gum set? THis collected says they say diamond gum on them so they are issued by that company--or so one would assume? If you had the deciding vote and were sitting on this info and had to decide, er tonight or this week one way or the other?

(Usually my decisions are obvious or at least 60-40, right? This one is so ambiguous--the more you guys tell me about it, the less I know.)

It's almost as if I should put in a new Diamond Gum set in the minor league section or something, because they don't seem to be a part of the majors set. But yet? Where's Henry Yee when you need him. You out there reading this? Does anyone else have the book Baseball Pinback Buttons by Paul Muchinsky (Yee does, that's why I dropped his name here).

Old 04-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

NM

Old 04-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Administrator

I think the difference on the Alperman is more that the celluloid has yellowed from light exposure. I've had 8-9 Diamond Gum pins.....about 1/3 of which have had the yellowing and the others did not. I had the Batch and Blair that you picture only in the Rochesters.

I'd wait to put anything in the catalog till you get a photo of it. MINIMALLY the guy should be able to get to a Kinkos or UPS Store to make a copy and send it to you. I thought Lemke confirmed everything by photocopy or scan before it was included. Still interesting possibilities. More out there to be found. I also think the pinback sections of all the guides have a lot of possibilities for unearthed items.