NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Default The cheapest 19th century baseball collectible!

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
I debated about posting this (and thus sparking a run on the magazine I will out), but I feel the need to share (plus I have most of the issues I care about, at least I think). I posted about these once before, but it quickly fell by the wayside with no responses.
Now that I have everyone's attention (or not), Oliver Optics Magazine is the collectible I am referring to. I recently acquired a bound 1867 edition (covering July through December) adding to the five I picked up a couple of months ago (from 1869), all told paying 25.00 (20 for the book). Only two of my issues (both 1869) have the baseball cover but 18 of the 1867 issues as well as all 5 of the 1869 issues, have at least some baseball content in the Playground section. To me paying about a dollar a piece for late 1860s items mentioning baseball is a great deal.
The wealth of information contained in these articles is extraordinary. When I have time I will scan the articles and email them to any who need them. In some of the articles there are box scores and other statistics as well as a few mentions of prizes for baseball tournaments (silver ball trophies, etc.).
I do have a few questions that I was hoping someone might be able to help me with:
1. When did Oliver Optics Magazine begin publishing? If 1867, as I have heard, when was the first issue published? January of 1867?
2. Did the baseball front piece (shown in a scan below) come with the first issue? If not, when did it come out?
3. My 1867 half year volume has its first baseball mention in one sentence: "Base Ball is the national game of the United States". This line appeared in the Playground section of the July 13th, 1867 issue of the magazine. Is this the first mention of baseball in Oliver Optics? If not, which issue contained the first mention?
The second mention comes a week later on 7/20/67, featuring a paragraph mention of a "match game for the championship of the State of Connecticut" between the reigning champions the Charter Oaks of Hartford and the Pequots of New London held June 5th. The brief description of the match (several games apparently) was sent in by a reader. Below is a scan of this brief article. The third mention of Base Ball does not come until 8/17/67 and it cautions readers by reporting a death (no details) due to over exertion while playing.
The articles become more regular beginning in late August and then trail off again toward Winter. However, there is a game description in a late December issue although it describes a game from the Fall. To me these articles are fascinating as they are primary source documents concerning the history of baseball, yet they are very inexpensive. I will post more article scans as I go through my book, especially the ones referring to trophies and specific players/teams.
Thanks for reading this incredibly long post, but I am hoping to educate fellow collectors on these cheap but historical items. Up until I found my first five in an antique shop, I had never heard of these before. Please post any additional information you might have concerning these.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

Old 04-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
I figured I would give this one bump to see if anyone might know which issue of Oliver Optics contained the first baseball mention. I am hoping it is 7/13/67 (as that is my earliest) but I'd like to confirm if possible.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

Old 01-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

I just found my first copy (NOV 1867) with a great article about who won trophies. I think because they never changed the baseball cover it hurts the value.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]