NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: macboube

I finally figured it out. In real life you are James Bond, 007, and here you are just masquerading as MB (vintage card, horse racing, commodities, golf, rock n' roll, gambling, and bohemian life style expert). Liscensed to _______ ?

Old 03-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Anthony S.

Licensed. Too shrill.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: marshall barkman

LOL....macboube i just like action what can i say. In regards to cornering the market on silver nobody is implying that. Silver is a safe investment especially during times like this and believe me things are going to get alot worse so metals will rise against the strength of the dollar.

I bought silver at 9.80 and today we are at 13.42 so i like my chances. My thought is silver will be at 20.00 a ounce by this Christmas.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Red

Licensed to "Bring the Noise"

Old 03-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Super Action Men !

Old 03-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: John

"Wonka was calling me newbie"

Let's keep the facts straight Wonka was calling you a braggart, instigator, attention seeker and at best a story teller. All of which wraps himself in a cloak of buzz words and dated extreme lifestyle expressions. Oh and with a just a touch of vulgar sprinkled on top.

Just to be clear I don't doubt you have cards Marshall or the fact that you collect...I just doubt your spin on what you own.

Marshall if you had a 10k card you would post and tell everyone it was million dollar card, and then you would proceed to tell everyone once again how cool you are. Also god forbid anyone correct you or disagrees then it becomes the Marshall show.

I kind of like you though Marshall you make me laugh. You're the walking definition of irony love to tell everyone else their dorks while fighting on a board for baseball cards in cyberspace and telling evryone what a rock star you are. Funny when you think about it sort of like a guy walking out of a Star Trek convention dressed as Spock making fun of folks in line for the Star Wars convention.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Jim VB

"All of which wraps himself in a cloak of buzz words and dated extreme lifestyle expressions."

I hear you John. I used to be with it. Then they changed what "it" was. Now, whatever I'm "with" is clearly not "it" and I don't see that changing.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Joe D.

Jeff - I briefly looked at the catalog and yes - it is awful.

I'm not sure if it is the printing or just horrible scans / and design.
Probably a little of both. I am going to look at it more closely tonight.

That page with the background showing through the cards is inexcusable.
That page leads me to believe this may not have been a printer issue / but rather just an inexperienced person putting the scans and layout together. Although - the printing may be at fault as well.

Either way - a bad job.

Maybe I should advertise in the Denver area.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: S Gross

Homer: So I realized that being with my family is more important
than being cool.
Bart: Dad, what you just said was powerfully uncool.
Homer: You know what the song says: "It's hip to be square."
Lisa: That song is so lame.
Homer: So lame that it's... cool?
Bart and Lisa: No.
Marge: Am I cool, kids?
Marge: Good. I'm glad. And that's what makes me cool, not caring, right?
Marge: Well, how the hell do you be cool? I feel like we've tried
everything here.
Homer: Wait, Marge. Maybe if you're truly cool, you don't need to
be told you're cool.
Bart: Well, sure you do.
Lisa: How else would you know?

Old 03-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Wonka...you do crack me up bro and i'm just waiting for you to raise the spaceship out of the muck oh Yoda wannabe. In regards to cards that i own let's just say that i am a result player and i'm very happy for what my cards sold for recently. You see my friend i am not in the hope business or tell stories as you have stated. I have never touted a card on Network 54 and made esculated claims about them. I just stated that i had some of the finest condition Southern Leaguer's in the hobby after you and other folks acted like i had nothing. Ahhhh by the way if you check the PSA pop report There was only 1 example graded higher than my Ted Breitenstein PSA 7 and the J.F. Kiernan PSA 7 old Mill is the finest example ever to be found hmmmmm. I'll stop there but there were several other cards that were extremely rare also.

I'm to sharp of a cat to be skinned by a kitten so i'll let you and JimVB say whatever you like about who i am and what i own because it means nothing to me. There will be a day when i send more cards to auction after i grade them and i'll let you know how they do, i'm sure then you guys will say oh well you were lucky or that you cannot possibly have anymore cards and so on and so on.

I recently have sold some of the finest examples ever found of American Beauties but oh that is right again just luck or hearsay blah blah blah. If anyone lives in outer space Wonka or make believe land perhaps look into the mirror. Why else does one call themselves Wonka?

Old 03-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: J Levine

Marshall,

I always wonder when people start self-promoting so much what they are trying to actually pump up...The people with truly impressive collections never seem to shout about it...they really never need to either...

I never remember Frank Nagy screaming about how nice he has something...

Heck, even Jim Crandall does not do this and his collection is one of the nicest I have seen...

And if you really want nice, Mr. Preece has a truly impressive little collection that he rarely talks about.

No need to self-promote, shout, tout your buys or anything else. So you have some nice cards...most of us have some nice cards (myself included)...

As my grandfather told me, there is always someone nicer and smarter than you...you just have to be wise enough to spot them and learn from them.

Do what you want with the advice but I think you might find even nicer things may come to you without the attitude and blowhard style...

Joshua

PS Not even sure why I try to educate anymore.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: John K

. . . good post. He reminds me of Loudmouth Charlie Bratton, one of Jackie Gleason's great characters on his variety show.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

"I have never touted a card on Network 54 and made esculated claims about them."

Really must have been someone else typing below then my bad. Or perhaps you're right you didn't "esculate" any items you "escalated" them. You may want to check your sharp cat dictionary to make sure it's up to date..

"I think you like indian photos to and i own some of the rarest on the planet."

"These cabinets are very rare and i have not seen another Sitting Bull with a peace pipe."

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1232856407/last-1233064748/Baseball+team+Maroons+photos+1915

You're right Marshall you're the man I'll just be silent now I don't have any cards in your league. Very sorry I crossed the rope at club greatness.

Joshua nicely said I agree. To keep it in baseball terms and old girlfriend told me the guys who always talk about how big their Johnson's (T206) are well....

P.S. This kitten has claws..but this kitten also won't fire up the board with more Marshall Showtime drama because thats what you crave and it's pointless. I've said my peace take care Marshall. Also for the record I think folks know the score, number of card images and knowledge shared by silly Wonka compared to his greatness..

Old 03-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

I do not have to drag in grandad memories or girlfriends thoughts when it comes to dealing with people. What i do understand is that for some reason people think their opinion is important or should be heard in regards to the last few posts. Also wonka please know that you put up those Indian card links and one of those cards closed at nearly 3800 at auction which was far from your 500 to 750 estimate. I do currently own 11 of them and there are two that are very rare and one could possibly be the only one that survived. Also the Deadwood photo i posted which is the only one known from that era to survive.

I would never compare myself to Crandall or anyone else in regards to collecting because it is not who i am. I'm not into who has the most or has the biggest banana hammock because i have had no complaints from the ladies nor will i ever (-:

Last week i was at the track looking at my little filly who has got major scat ability, she strikes the track perfect. My partner and i sent in 6 names and the name the Jock's club chose was Unbridled's Skyhawk because the filly is out of Unbridled's Song uhhhhhhh sound familiar? Eight Belles and this year's monster 3-year old Derby favorite Old Fashioned are out of Unbridled's Song, now the girl who grooms the horse starts explaining that the name is not right, she goes on and on about how i was wrong, kind of like this board does about what we should have called her, after about 10 minutes of listening to her gas i said well really doll i wanted to name the horse Get The Salami Tommy and my friend just lost it, well the girl got pissed and instantly i was th ebad guy. Now most folks will say well you should not have said that or you are not diplomatic or i guess we can throw tact right out the window.The moral of the story is when folks start talking sh*&t i just give it back and if that makes me a bad guy then i am a real bad M^%tha F*&ker case closed.

In regards to J Levine i notice once all my fans start riding me on here that you will not be far behind. I think perhaps the only thing you could teach or educate someone on is the heckling class right now at NYU and i heard they are looking for a new teacher so i told the President you are top notch first rate old chap.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: David Atkatz

Marshall, I think it's time you poured yourself a stiff shot of Shut the **** Up.

Nobody gives a hoot about your horses, your cards, or your precious metals.

And, if by "real bad M^%tha F*&ker" you mean "*******," you got that right.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: leon

That wasn't very nice. We do have some youngsters on the board.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

C'mon, Leon. I knew everything offensive would be asterisked out.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

I'm sure everyone is real concerned about your thoughts David. In regards to the heckling section for tonight's concert i can reserve seat A210 for you.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: leon

My wife would find the *od *amn a little bit offensive. I would venture to guess a few other folks would too. Not the end of the world but cleaning it up would be better..

Old 03-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Cleaned it is.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: barrysloate

We're fighting on this thread and we even have another one about Jim Bunning which could get interesting...could be a fun night around here.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

LOL......where is Billy Martin when you need him?

Old 03-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Rob D.

Nice to see Peter C. posting again.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Eric Brehm

Barry -- you shouldn't be looking forward to a "fun night" around here for that type of stuff. Something is wrong. Reading your words, it makes me think I need to push myself away from the computer and go somewhere else.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Chao must be off his meds again.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

I was being sarcastic Eric.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Okay dude. I still think you are one of the good guys of the hobby. We need more of those.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Uh oh Barry next they will be talking about banishment. Didn't you know that a sense of humor and being sarcastic is the next topic. Someone will post asking Leon to make a rule where you cannot joke around or be sarcastic. Let's be very serious and only talk about old baseball players who walked a straight line and hit .238 for three seasons.

I will be banned from the conversation since my favorite players are Ty Cobb,Shoeless Joe and Hal Chase. To round out my superfecta Pete Rose makes the ticket.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

I'm okay, and nobody will be getting banned.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Jim VB

If sarcasm is banned this will be a lonely board.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

I rest my case.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

deleted

Old 03-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Yeah we can sit around and talk about rare old tobacco cards that depict guys who were in the big leagues for a total of ten days who no one outside the vintage card world even knows because they hit .218 for a career. Then we and i do mean WE can listen to Dorskind talk about the economy and how the world is going to hell.

CNN interview on how to be yourself at all times....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M9C6a1K0nI&feature=related

Old 03-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: scott dango

I CANT BELIEVE I WASTED 30 MINUTES READING THIS THREAD.....UGHHH

serves me right reading a thread started by mr noise himself.....

Old 03-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

You know what cracks me up is that a guy reads an entire post and then posts something that has nothing to do with the post. It is ok now Scott Wango because mommy has ducky ready in the bubble bath so you can stop whining now. Wheeeee....splash,splash, Wheeeeee.....splash,splash

Old 03-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

What's ironic is that it sounds like Marshall is making fun of "old baseball players who walked a straight line and hit .238 for three seasons" and it sounds like he may be making fun of us for caring about them. Then we find out his his only claim to fame here on this board (meaning the only pre-war baseball cards he has admitted to ever having owned) was selling a bunch of semi-no-name Southern League cards (regardless of their technical grades).

Marshall, don't get me wrong, I love the no-name guys, they are what keep the hobby interesting for many of us. Many have been around long enough to have heard most/all the Ruth, Cobb, Joe Jackson, etc. stories and what excites us is discovering info on new players, players that were integral in the development of baseball, but have been largely forgotten through the years. You will find the vast majority of the people here are simply history buffs that also happen to be baseball card collectors.

-Rhett

Old 03-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Well said Rhett!

Marshall, I have been on the trail of a guy who played baseball over 100 years ago and never made it to the majors. It has been some of my most rewarding research I've ever done.

Here's a thread I dedicated to that effort: http://tinyurl.com/bcn6kq

Old 03-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Dan & Rhett....i was not making fun of you guys for having a passion for rare old cards or common cards. My point was let's mix it up and if people want to be sarcastic then who cares, it would be awful boring just reading post after post about rare meaningless players. I enjoy reading about the rare common cards as well as off topic conversations and hall of famers. My personal opinion and choice of cards that i go after are only 4 players, while i buy and sell cards the only cards i keep are of these players. Yes i understand the cards that got sent to auction that graded the highest were Southern Leaguers but the Cobb 4.5, Two Johnson's 5, three Mathewsons and so on did great also. I kept the best conditioned Cobbs and Chase cards because of who were they were and why the fans watched them.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I understand perfectly Marshall. This board would be boring if it were all Cobb, Johnson, Matty and Jackson all the time. It would also be boring if it were all about the common guys who never made it big. The mix is what keeps it interesting.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

What makes the board interesting is the diverse group of collectors and opinions. I would not even come on here if it were strict rules and single mindedness. What makes a baseball game great is the hottie three seats over, the manager spitting and kicking dust, the home run hit by the star player, the guy with two hot dogs wearing no underwear with pants falling down so his ass crack is hanging out when he stands up and shouts "hey ump you suck you freaking blind SOB", the no name player who wins the game in the ninth with a sacrifice bunt and so on. What i enjoy is the whole package and letting people be themselves.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Anonymous

The definition of irony is Marshall complaining about talking about some guys who only played 3 days in the majors when he shouts to the world about the one round of golf that he shot at a qualifying tournament...

I only collect 4 golfers...Jones, Arnold, Nickalus, and Woods....

Joshua

Old 03-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Ahhhhhh....the last time i checked the four players you mentioned are golfers and only golfers. If you asked any of those players who Chris Lord Alge is or Michael Stipe they would look at you like you are goofy. I understand completely that the players you collect are the best in the world at what they do because they have been doing it since birth.

I wonder how the same players would play after being a part of a hard core rock scene until they were 29 and then try to play? Put a guitar and mike in Woods,Nicklaus or any other golfer and i think what we would have is laughter.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I've heard your music, Marshall.

And yeah, if you asked Bobby Jones who Michael Stipe was, he probably wouldn't know.

-Al

Old 03-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Let me get this straight...you couldn't make it as a rocker so you took up golf and now can't hack it as a golfer so you spend your time going to antique auctions and self-promoting?

I would venture to say if you put a guitar in their (Woods, etc.) hands and they would be just about as successful as you have been.

At least they can golf too!

Joshua

Old 03-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

He is the sole reason I continue to come back and read any/all posts that involves him. He is very entertaining in so many ways. He is the TJ Simers (LA Times Page 2 Sports Columnist) of this place.

Marshall, keep it up baby !!!!!

I love you, man.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Wonka

Remember that statement Marshall..or how about this one?

"Ahhhh by the way if you check the PSA pop report There was only 1 example graded higher than my Ted Breitenstein PSA 7 and the J.F. Kiernan PSA 7 old Mill is the finest example ever to be found hmmmmm. I'll stop there but there were several other cards that were extremely rare also."

Marshall once again your stories don't add up, the cards you talk about daily aren't the highest graded ever.

I've been collecting T206's a long time and have kept pretty good records of sales. Just one sale alone came to mind and I'm sure if I was to dig thru my catalogs I could find many more.

Seems in August 2000 quite a few of the same cards sold in at least one or two grades higher than yours perhaps the Kiernan didn't have an Old Mill back doesn't say but even if it didn't yawn. Still nicer Kiernan cards out there. As for Breitenstein seems in 2000 there were at least 2 PSA 8's...

Once again a case of nice cards being tarnished by the overall attitude you have it's a shame really.

Photobucket

Photobucket

edited scan sizes

Old 03-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

You know J Levine what i can't figure out is when i punch in your name into a search engine it comes up zero results.....ohhhhh.......that's right i forgot your a zero.

Here is your quote.....Let me get this straight...you couldn't make it as a rocker so you took up golf and now can't hack it as a golfer so you spend your time going to antique auctions and self-promoting

Well let's see i fu*&^cked countless models,raised hell whereever i went, and basically tore up South Beach for 4 years. I signed a independent record deal which allowed to me live in a 2.5 million dollar penthouse and have maids walk around naked while a puffed away on the finest of .....while playing a wonderful Fender strat at insane decibels.

I have recorded with and met the some of the best minds in the history of music.....ohhhhhh that's right i forgot Chris Lord Alge is a nobody and so is Bruce Springsteen and Green Day.

My name was branded in 2006 and Red Bull along with Penguin and other companies sponsored me when other golfers were trying to get their foot in the door.....oh that is right who cares because Red Bull is such a small company.

I was on TV the whole 2006 season and FOX Sports Net did a exclusive interview in regards to both my musical and golf career because contrary to your dull ass some folks actually like characters who are not suck up ass kissers.

How do you define make it as a rocker? You sound like some F&^%ing cheesy CNN reporter who has his banana hammock stretched up his..... I do not define making it by signing a major record deal so at the end of the day when a cd sells for 15 dollars after it is all said and done you make about 75 cents a cd because you have 4 different attorneys watching 2 different managers who are watching 2 different accounts who are sueing the record company because it's all bull****.

Allan Jacoby had RCA records fly in and the A&R rep offered me a huge deal.......oh my.....could it be he said i was a superstar......Jeezzzzzz heavens no.....did he compare me to Iggy Pop because i tore up rooms and created total chaos.......ohhhhh no did he come to one of the shows and watch kids just go berzerk for a hour and tell me please come to Las Angeles and show the world my talent.

You see JLevine i did make it....i just did not sign a major record deal becaus emoney is not what i seek......money does not control my life and i do not need people bowing down to me because i play rock-n-roll. What moves me and is my passion is freedom of expression both as a artist and human being.

Did i really hit balls at Desert Mountain and hang out with Lyle Anderson and Jim Flick.......no that must have been a imposter.....was that me with Greg Owen grabbing the cash in the pro-pro in which i was 7 under thru 10 holes on my own ball...nah that could not have been me......

Did i really write and play almost all the instruments on my cd and have the balls to block my song from being played on K-Rok in Las angeles when other musicians were trying to blow their way to the top.

Consider THE NOISE BROUGHT once again Mr.Levine and congrats on your 2nd place finish in the 10 annual jelking contest held in South Africa last month.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Hey Marshall what I can't figure out is if you're so cool and so awesome and have such an amazing life...why do you care what Josh thinks of you. Also there are a lot of folks on here with pretty amazing lives and careers who also know famous folks. Don't be so quick to think you're the coolest guy on here like some sort of messiah of coolness sent to save us dorks.

Also for the record Google isn't the defining rule of success funny how folks think it is...

Old 03-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Wonka how about checking the PSA Pop report and maybe you can figure out there is a difference in backs. The cards i am speaking about in which i owned had Old Mill backs and the numbers i gave were correct in regards to the back.....oh i know Yoda like being.....you forgot there is a difference in backs just like you forgot about the fact the indian cabinet card brought 3500 when you valued it at 500-700.

I do feel sorry for you though because try as you might little Opey Cunningham your facts are constantly out of whack. There is a difference in the backs of T-206 cards.....whoooaaaaaa.....does that mean a when you now go into the PSA pop-report that every back is present......ohhhh myyyyyyy.....

I underdstand the difference between a Hal Chase with a Red Cross back in a PSA 5 holder and a Hal Chase in a Piedmont 7 holder....uhhhhhh i think i'll take the Red Cross.

Dude if you are GOING TO BRING THE NOISE at least plug in the guitar.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

That is the funniest post I've ever read on Net54.

Hey Marshall:

All that stuff about tearing up south beach and living in a multimillion dollar apartment and countless models?

Bullsh!t.

-Al