NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-12-2008, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Default Ty Cobb pencil clip - any info would be appreciated

Posted By: Shane Hardie

Hi

This is my first post. Someone over at the PSA boards said that I should post this here to possibly get some info.

I ran across this Ty Cobb pencil clip. I was wondering if any of you guys had any info on it. It may not be worth a dime. I just don't know. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

but I believe them to be 1970's or so. Almost always in bad condition--don't know if they were artificially aged or what. Don't expect big bucks for it. I see them sell on ebay for $5-$15 or so. About the only pencil clips that really have value that were issued during the period were the 1950's Cleveland Indians clips and the 1950's St. Louis Browns clips. At least they're the only ones I know of in series or team sets. There are some one off type stuff but nothing really valuable that I've seen.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the info. That's what I was afraid of.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Tom is right... I have often heard these referred to as "Fantasy Pieces". The Indians and Browns versions are the only ones authentic to the time period.

The mega-stars (like Cobb) were produced much later and must have been artificially "aged". Sort of like all of those ad signs you see on ebay, that are made to look old.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Muchinsky

Your item is definitely a fantasy, not a reproduction. It is possible the reverse of the image has a maker's mark, perhaps a union logo bug. Odds are good the union didn't exist when Cobb played. My favorite fantasy piece (the seller swore it was original) is a retractable ball-point pen with an image of Christy Mathewson and his name. At least it wasn't a roller-ball pen.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Actually, the unions did exist and loved sticking their labels (and local IDs) on everything they produced, much to the chagrin of shop mgt. As confirmed, these clips are indeed modern however.

Shane, Curious, is there a union bug printed along the edge?

Old 03-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Don't have a union logo. The union logo was probably not required when those were made........

Old 03-13-2008, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Muchinsky

Not to get overly technical, but a very large number of labor unions represented workers in the manufacturing sector. A printers union represented workers who printed paper; it didn't represent metal workers. Each union had its own logo. Most collectors think the presence of the union logo means an item must be vintage. This is true 99% of the time, but not always. Speaking only for pinbacks, it is possible to "fabricate" a union bug on a piece of metal to create the illusion the item is vintage.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Administrator

It is at home right now, but from memory, I don't think it does. I will check when I get home.