NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Default Baseball was pitched by Walter Johnson and hit by Ty Cobb

Posted By: James Feagin

Hello all,

I'm usually a card guy, but thought I would post this here for you. I've had this piece since 2006 and it originally came from the estate of a Michigan man. In the summer of 1918, a young man named George Cowder of Michigan was headed off to the military. As a going away present, a few friends took Mr. Cowder to a Detroit Tigers/Washington Senators doubleheader. The Tigers made quick work of the Senators in the first game. However, the second game went 17 innings, with Hall of Famer Walter Johnson pitching the entire game. In the bottom of the 17th inning, Donnie Bush led-off with a single and was eventually sacrificed to second base. Ty Cobb came to bat against Johnson and engaged in a long at bat. This ball was a foul that was slapped into the right field stands during that at bat (and reveals bat markings on the sweet spot). Mr. Cowder retrieved the ball as his new souvenir. Later that at bat, Cobb singled off Johnson as Bush scored the winning run in a 1-0 contest. This ball comes with at least 10 supporting documents, correspondence between Cowder and the Hall of Fame, Tigers and Bush (dating to the 1960s, Bush signed the ball). Also with the display is a signed Cobb check. Hope you enjoy....

James

Old 03-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Nice ball...thanks for sharing James.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

If a fan got a foul ball in 1918 and was able to keep it , it would be highly unusual. Before 1920, only about 2-3 balls were used per game and foul balls were always returned to the field. That is , until Reuben Berman (a fan) took the Giants to court and he won. Since 1922, most parks have allowed fans to keep any ball hit into the stands. It has been reported that Cub fans began keeping foul balls in 1916, but almost all other clubs did not allow anyone to keep a ball until this court decision. You state you have supporting documents and that's good, because I don't believe Detroit would let you keep the foul ball in 1918.

Sometimes only one ball was used during a game in the deadball era ( 1901-1919).I would suspect a ball hit into the stands late into the game would be darkened and lumpy or lopsided as has been reported during this era. That's one of the main reasons it's called the "deadball era". The ball got pretty soft as the game went on.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I've been doing a little research .In the National Pastime # 25 an article by Tim Wiles states " There was a short truce in this developing war between the fans and the owners over fouls in the late teens, as both sides agreed to donate all fouls hit into the stands to servicemen, who would need the balls for on-base recreation during World War One. After the war ended, though, the foul ball dispute was rekindled".

You have a great item, let me know if ever for sale. Thanks Mike